Author Topic: Looking for Someone to do a Read  (Read 4220 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Looking for Someone to do a Read
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:23 PM »
I've spent the better part of the last couple hours sitting in the library writing a short story.  I'm going to try and finish it after class and band practices tonight, and before I edit it for content or grammar myself, I'd like to get a few opinions on it.  It looks like it will be about 4-6k words when I'm done, and I feel it is moderately decent.

Anyway, if anybody would like to read some amateur sci-fi/historical fiction and give me some feedback, preferably some people with writing experience, I'd be pretty happy about it.  I also wrote a less than 1,500 word short surrealist piece I don't feel is too great, but could be good with a little improvement (it's short, though, so like a five minute read if that).

So, if you're feeling like you'd like to do me a favor or you'd like to have something to chill with, I'd like the feedback.  Preferably people who think they could read it in the next two or three days and let me know.  I promise it is at least readable.

Thanks!
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Someone to do a Read
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:37:16 AM »
Feel free to utilize the Reading Excuses part of the forum. Its hidden until you log in, but we do critiques there. Of course, you'd be expected to shell out a few critiques in return, but you would expose your manuscript to a lot more people.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:23:35 AM »
Despite the fact that I've been here for years, I've never paid attention to some of the new additions.  That's a good idea--thanks Reeves, consider this thread closed: if you're interested, check out the reading excuses area of the forum, apparently.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:44 AM »
Where did the Reading Excuses forum go, anyway? It was here just the other day, right? Right now, I can't see it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:21 AM »
Where did the Reading Excuses forum go, anyway? It was here just the other day, right? Right now, I can't see it.

Can you see it now?
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
No.

I'm guessing that it's one forum number below Howard Tayler's forum, so number 29.0 because his is number 30.0. But I can't access that forum and I don't see it on the forum list.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?board=29.0

If I try that forum, it says:

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. 

Are certain people not allowed to look at the Reading Excuses forum?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
Are certain people not allowed to look at the Reading Excuses forum?

I have no idea what's going on with access to the Reading Excuses forum, but I can confirm for you that it is board #29 and that I can see it just fine, even though I'm not a moderator, admin, or member of Reading Excuses.
He ate my horse.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
It should be visible as long as you're logged in.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 12:44:07 AM »
you have to actually log in yourself personally at the top of the screen, whereas normally just going to a topic and posting logs you in automatically.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 04:59:00 AM »
I'm always logged in. It says "Hello, Ookla the Mok, you have 30 messages" at the top of the screen.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:00:47 AM »
Well, that's just plain weird. Reading Excuses is always available for me...Never any error. Huh. I even clicked on the link you posted, kind of hoping that I would see the error you mentioned, but...nothing.

For some reason, I think it would be kinda funky if there was a forum that was available to all members except one....

And on sidenote. I just did see that error, but that was because I was trying to find out what all the other forum numbers were....Like 22. And 26. And 27....Fun stuff...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
It says "Hello, Ookla the Mok, you have 30 messages" at the top of the screen.

Wow, you're popular.  I only have 7 messages.
He ate my horse.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »
Well, they do go back to 2005...

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »
Oh, I see, you're right, you're not popular at all.  ;)

As for accessing Reading Excuses, I fear your only hope is to appeal to some higher power in the TWG universe who can exorcise demons from computers and websites.
He ate my horse.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 06:28:50 AM »
There's a bug with the reading excuses forum where you can only see it if you're an admin, mod or between levels 1-38, if you're higher level you can't see the forum.   I can't change the permissions on it so I don't know what I can do outside of letting everyone see it or deleteing it and starting over.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.