Author Topic: What character would you put in The Wheel of Time?  (Read 4110 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
What character would you put in The Wheel of Time?
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/750/Do-You-Want-to-Appear-in-A-Memory-of-Light

First, if you haven't read this yet, read this as if you don't, you may be a bit confused.  If you could create a character for Brandon to use in The Wheel of Time, who would they be?

I would probably have to create a new character from scratch, as all the ones that come to my mind are from my own stories.  Though, if I just picked one, it would probably be.....

Atrius

Here's the first page of a short story I wrote about him:

Quote from: Wielder from "Tyrant"
   Atrius rubbed the sweat from his forehead.  His dark hair was plastered to his face, weaving itself into the beard that shrouded his jaw.  Two steady brown eyes peered out through his strained face, reflecting his weariness.  His white shirt showed the signs of a good day’s work—soaked so thoroughly that he saw almost no point in having it on.  His sword sat sheathed at his side.  The day had dragged on as he made his way to a lake that was all too far from the city walls.  Soft silvery waters waited ahead of him, reflecting the last rays of light as the sun slowly slid out of the sky. 
      Just a few more steps and I can be done with you.
   His left hand grasped a cloth coat that dragged behind him.  It was slightly stained in places where its owner must have been a little careless with his evening wine, but it didn’t cover the new stains Atrius had added.  Light lingered on blood that seeped down the fine brown fabric creating an illusion of hot embers that ate away at the cloth, leaving it charred.  The coat clung to a body; its lifeless legs dragging across the ground, no longer able to escape.  Atrius turned to make sure he wasn’t making much of a mess.  His eyes studied the path behind him, searching for any blood that may have trickled to the ground.  He scanned the area, his steady eyes grazing over every detail he could see and there were no signs of life—except for him, of course.  Trees obscured his vision but he doubted that anyone would be hiding behind them this close to sunset—almost everyone was inside the city walls at this point, save for bandits that skulked in the darkness waiting to ambush a careless traveler.  His eyes finally made their way to the lifeless body behind him.  Blonde hair covered half its face.  The head dangled to the side slightly, revealing a tattoo of a dagger on its neck.  He didn’t see a man; just a disruptive tool that needed to be disposed of—no more than a broken wheel.  Utterly useless. 

He's a kings...assassin for lack of a better term.  I wish I could just paste the whole thing since I'm not sure if the second paragraph will make much sense without getting a bit further, but, I think this will do. 

So what about you all?  Who would you write into The Wheel of Time?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:14:59 PM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: What character would you put in The Wheel of Time?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »
I wouldn't write anything, as I am not worthy.  The contest only allows you to have a character customized to your liking.  Brandon will still be writing the dialogue and situation.  I would be happy just to be one of the Officers named.  It would be cool if this new army came from the Isle of Madmen, but there is probably too little back story for that to make sense. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
I wouldn't write anything, as I am not worthy.  The contest only allows you to have a character customized to your liking.  Brandon will still be writing the dialogue and situation.  I would be happy just to be one of the Officers named.  It would be cool if this new army came from the Isle of Madmen, but there is probably too little back story for that to make sense. 

Oh, no.  I'm not literally saying 'writing' someone in.  But if you had a character written in by Brandon, who would they be.

And yes, that would be pretty sweet.  Atrius would probably be from Illian.  I love that city.   
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »
I don't like the way they talk, They do be using the word "Do" too much.  I like the way Siuan speaks, so the Tairens would be OK.  too many people would want to be Aiel.  I think I would either want to be Saldeaen or Andoran.  It's hard to choose.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »
I don't like the way they talk, They do be using the word "Do" too much.  I like the way Siuan speaks, so the Tairens would be OK.  too many people would want to be Aiel.  I think I would either want to be Saldeaen or Andoran.  It's hard to choose.

Yeah...there are quite a few societies to chose from.  I actually almost chose Aiel, then I realized that I knew people would be all over that. 
-Legacy of Kain

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »
Hoid.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
Ha ha ha...that would be funny, if someone won the right and then submitted Hoid.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:48:57 AM »
Lol that would be really funny. Brandon would probably have to turn it down though.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:34:41 AM »
Please, Brandon! Pick Hoid!  ;D

Edit: I just checked the site, and the bidding is up to $5,000 already. I think this is going to raise a lot of money.

If Hoid did make it to the book, what nationality would he be?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:50:25 AM by melbatoast »
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:06:02 AM »
Oh my word... You have to put Hoid in.  The hilarity and years of us acting like it means we know something... or it means we're more lost than ever before... would be priceless.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 06:13:37 AM »
OK, I just had a thought....what if Hoid is already in the Wheel of Time? I think that he's that mysterious darkfriend beggar Old Cully. So....Lews Therin will overcome Rand and kick his soul out of his body, and then Rand's soul is going to take over Old Cully and turn him back to the light side, and of course, when Hoid is on the right side all is right in the world.  :)

Or not. Either way, we've got to get Hoid in there somewhere. It will be bigger than when we found out that Bela is the Creator!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
OK, I just had a thought....what if Hoid is already in the Wheel of Time? I think that he's that mysterious darkfriend beggar Old Cully. So....Lews Therin will overcome Rand and kick his soul out of his body, and then Rand's soul is going to take over Old Cully and turn him back to the light side, and of course, when Hoid is on the right side all is right in the world.  :)

Or not. Either way, we've got to get Hoid in there somewhere. It will be bigger than when we found out that Bela is the Creator!

Oh no!  Conspiracy theory!
-Legacy of Kain

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
My choice, if I could afford the auction, would be one of the Malkieri Nynaeve are collecting. I love the story of the Malkieri and they have  strong reason to fight against the armies of the Dark One.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »
Hoid is Jain Farstrider.  He moves to the Brandon Sanderson universe after Tarmon Gaidon due to boredom.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I asked Brandon about Hoid in AMoL at a signing.

He basically said he thought about it briefly, but decided against it, since Hoid is for his works, and while it would be kind of neat, he feels like that would be inserting too much of his stuff into what should be almost all Jordan's.