Author Topic: "P.R. Problems"  (Read 5941 times)

Eric James Stone

• Staff
  • Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
"P.R. Problems"
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
Blood Lite: The Anthology of Humorous Horror is now available, both online and at many bookstores. Along with my story, "P.R. Problems," there's a Harry Dresden story by Jim Butcher and stories by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, Janet Berliner, Don D'Ammassa, Nancy Holder, Nancy Kilpatrick, J. A. Konrath & F. Paul Wilson, Joe R. Lansdale Will Ludwigsen, Sharyn McCrumb, Mark Onspaugh, Mike Resnick, Steven Savile, D. L. Snell, Jeff Strand, Lucien Soulban, Matt Venne, and Christopher Welch.

To give you a taste, here's the beginning of my story:
P.R. Problems
by Eric James Stone

What annoys me the most about vampires and werewolves is their good P.R. Not that I want a return to the days of villagers with pitchforks and torches, but all the romantic attachment to predators who hunt and kill humans makes me sick.

So when a cannibalistic serial killer started leaving the gnawed-on bones of his victims in public places, did the media label him a vampire? No. A werewolf? No.

The press called him the "Grove City Ghoul."

Those reporters had obviously never heard of fact-checking.

First, we ghouls are carrion eaters, not predators -- hyenas, not wolves. Sure, we like to feast on human flesh, but we find bodies that are already dead and eat them, after they've had a chance to decay a bit. For some inexplicable reason, people seem to think that's more grotesque than the actual killing by vampires and werewolves.

Second, a ghoul wouldn't just gnaw on the bones, he would eat them. Besides being nice and crunchy, they're a good source of calcium. That's why ghouls never suffer from osteoporosis.

We ghouls just have bad P.R. And the serial killer wasn't helping.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: "P.R. Problems"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
That's a very good hook.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!