Author Topic: Pinball  (Read 2212 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Pinball
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
I've spent the last several months working as a manager at an arcade, which is partially devoted to pinball.  I have always enjoyed pinball, but I find myself absolutely enthralled with it now, more so than I am with most modern video games.  Does anybody else still play the game (I know some of you must have been around in the golden age of arcades).  Does anybody have a favorite machine, or know any interesting tricks on any specific tables?  I feel like older games like pinball are completely cast aside in the last decade for more "impressive" modern games, despite their actual challenge, complexity and social aspects...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Pinball
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
I loved pinball, but never had enough quarters...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
I did some work for an adult friend of mine when I was a teenager and in return he gave me two old school pinball tables. My dad fixed them up and we played for hours in the basement. I even used the sounds on one of them for some videos I made for high school classes.

So yeah, you could say I was a fan. It wasn't until I had those tables that I started really playing tho. Now I find myself playing video game versions whenever I find them (not as good as the real thing, I know) and it's the only type of arcade game I'll still drop quarters on.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:44 PM »
i haven't played pinball in 10+ years, probably. I used to play em all the time as a kid (arcades were like home to me), but they're kinda hard to find now.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
What tables do you/did you have?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »
Pinball was always fun to play. Still is, although it's getting harder and harder to find machines nowadays.  :(

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 07:13:16 AM »
I always wanted to play pinball, but never had the quarters to spare. I've probably played like 5 games in my life. I'd love to just be able to play for hours and hours someday.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!