Author Topic: The Decline of Reading  (Read 4765 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
The Decline of Reading
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:32:12 AM »
http://mssv.net/2008/12/28/the-long-decline-of-reading/

It's a fairly lengthy article about the decline of reading, as well as its importance.  There are some interesting statistics in there, as well as several good quotes.  I recommend everyone read (it).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: The Decline of Reading
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:02:42 AM »
I agreed wholeheartedly with the article and it explains an irritating phenomenon I've noticed lately.  Several sites I go to on a regular basis to read the news have switched to a more video and picture oriented format.  I hate it.  I have a limited amount of time online and don't want to waste it watching something I can read about in a fraction of the time.  I also have small children hovering about at all times and I am never quite sure what is going to pop up in any given section of video.
People often ask me how I can read as much as I do and my response is that I don't watch TV.  I live in a small but deep canyon so no TV signals make it in.  For economic reasons we decided to get internet and not cable.  We have on electronic-free day a week so my children are forced to play with each other and read.  While I admit that isn't something most people would choose to do, the literacy of my children amazes their teachers.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:33:38 AM »
This article made me realize how bad it really has gotten. While reading it, I realized that I can count the people that I know who actually have read a book in the last four years on one hand. It really amazes me just how far reading has declined. :'(
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:49:55 AM »
Interesting.  Does anyone have an opinion on how wide spread e-books will become or if they will get more people reading?

I don't think so.  In my experience there has always been a stigma against reading books.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
This article made me realize how bad it really has gotten. While reading it, I realized that I can count the people that I know who actually have read a book in the last four years on one hand. It really amazes me just how far reading has declined. :'(

Once I might have said the same but Twilight changed that :p

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »
Reading is strongly correlated with all sorts of good things, such as voting, volunteering, civic responsibility, and even exercise.

I'm the anti-statistic! I read alot (i've cut back to about 7-10 books a year to save a bit of cash, as I always buy hardbacks) and don't do any of these things! :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

I don't think so.  In my experience there has always been a stigma against reading books.

I know that I get funny looks and questions about how I take care of my children when I mention how much I read.  Implying that there are better ways of using my time than reading.  I figure my children will be the engineers and doctors and maybe even lawyers of tomorrow and then they will know why reading was more important to me.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »

I know that I get funny looks and questions about how I take care of my children when I mention how much I read.  Implying that there are better ways of using my time than reading.  I figure my children will be the engineers and doctors and maybe even lawyers of tomorrow and then they will know why reading was more important to me.

You got it.  I live in a new house.  I haven't bothered to buy either cable or an antenna for the ol Boob tube.  My four kids have better things to do with their time.

As for e-books, in my opinion, that revolution has already arrived.  My wife got me an ipod touch for Christmas.  First app I downloaded was Stanza which is a reader that hooks directly into things like project Gutenberg.  I've already read three books on it.  It is awesome.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
My mind can't even wrap around the idea of someone not reading more than a single novel a year. I'm on the lowest budget of anyone I know, but I still cheack out books from the library and buy one every once in awhile. Maybe it's because I can't really afford to do anything else while most others have more money, but still.  :-\
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:00:34 AM »
My mind can't even wrap around the idea of someone not reading more than a single novel a year.
I always feel like those who don't read much have dreadfully boring inner lives.  The idea of someone now wanting to read is incomprehensible to me too.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »
reading on the rise

According to a study conducted by the National Endowment for the Arts over the last year, the number of adults who read at least 1 book a year has risen for the first time since the 1980's!
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:56:49 AM »

I try not to think about Twilight too much.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

JinxedOne

• Level 1
  • How many times do I have to say this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
And the even sadder part is that just because of its length many people who need to open there eyes to the problem won't.
I will have to confess I'm one of the statistics, but I'm ready to get back in the groove.  Partly because my 2 1/2 yo daughter (yes she's the reason I haven't read much :), is finally enjoying being read to.  I used to read 20-30 novels a year and I know I won't be able to get up to that number in the foreseeable future, but I hope to at least get back up to the 6-8 range soon.

I certainly agree there are obstacles to the ebook market, even though I think it is definitely the next generation for book reading.  I could bore everyone with the research I did, being a software engineer, "novice" physicist, and aspiring writer to try to come up with solutions, but I feel that needs to be posted elsewhere.

-Jinxed
If you only compete with yourself, you can always be a winner.   - Me

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »

I try not to think about Twilight too much.

I agree with that statement. Twilight was good in that it got some people reading who never would have anyway. On the other hand, those same people turn around and hold it up as a shining example of the pinnacle of literary style. I personally strongly disliked the writing style (it was almost incoherent to me) and felt that the entire thing was just shallow.

Anyway, off of Twilight and on to bigger and better things, I really like this article. I agree whole-heartedly with most of what it said. I've actually noticed many of my friends who don't read much and who seem to have difficulty understanding the opposing viewpoints when we get into a debate (most of my friends read a lot, so we have these quite a bit). It's frustrating for everyone involved, those of us trying to explain it for the 100th time, and those who just don't get it.

I hope that people start to read more, but I doubt it will happen. It's one of those things that just makes me sad.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 05:28:15 AM »
What I think is worse about Twilight is when people who read say that it's reminiscent of the classics--Jane Austen, the Brontes.....ugh (not them...that people would compare Twilight in a good light to them....).

I'm not surprised at all about those statistics. Most of the people in my family are readers, and most of my friends read as well, but I know of many others who very rarely read...And I'm pretty sure most of the people I work with don't read either....It's sad. Reading brings with it emotions that no other medium can duplicate. Some can come kind of close, but....close isn't good enough.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."