Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 85536 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »
Yeah. But it's still good to ask it. Maybe someday we'll get somewhere. Maybe :P.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
Without evil there really isn't the chance for people to show what their made of and for personal sacrifice etc.

GreedyAlgorithm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2009, 01:57:45 AM »
To answer why the Dark One exists at all, it is balance.  The Universe needs balance, so there must be evil.
Passing the recursive buck. Why would the universe "need balance"? That just seems silly.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2009, 02:03:01 AM »
Because if it didn't, no one would read the books 8).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2009, 01:19:55 PM »
All this talk about the pattern makes my head hurt!!

Why doesn't the Creator just step in...?  Here's a real world answer.  I wish I could remember the book that I read this statement in, so I could reference it and quote it more correctly.  However, I don't remember so I'll do the best I can.

We live such short lives that we have a hard time understanding long distances of time, like a million years ago 5 million years ago....  So if you condense the history of the world into a 24 hour period, then the entire history of the human race, from the first person until right now, would be the last 2 seconds of the day.  The entire recorded history of the human race would be the last 1/10th of a second of the day...  Think about how many times in those last "two seconds", how many people asked, where's god, prove it to me, save me, help me, blah, blah, blah...  If he answered every prayer, saved every person, there would be miracles happening 24/7 every place you would look.  God would be our circus monkey, and we would be his spoiled children...

There, now I hope your head hurts! ;D

Anyways, back to the WOT, I wonder if we'll ever see the Creator or not.

Fain was a faithful hound, I'm assuming he'll have another role but I think that his biggest was to cut Rand with the Dagger. It'd be funny if he fell into the "hole" where the DO is with the choden'kal (forgive my spelling) or some other powerful sa'angrael :P. I don't think that Saidin and Saidar will be bridged because this has happened before, probably countless amounts of times, and that hasn't happened. Rand lives on because of the vision Min has of him with a beggars cane, unless this will happen before the ending I'll stick with the bodyswap idea that I've grown more fond of :D

I'm going to entertain the body swap for a second, and ask this question.  I remember reading how odd it was to have three taveren living in the same village.  They were friends also, that would be considered off too, but I don't think that was mentioned in the book.  Is there anyway possible that Rand, Perrin, and Mat are all the same person from different eras??  They can all sense what the other two are doing, and Rand has said that he can pull them back to him whenever he needs to. 

So Rand and Perrin die during battle, and Mat blows the horn.  Rand, Perrin, and Mat would become one person.  All of Mat's memories would be his own, and his blank spots in his memory would be because he was split into three people.  Mat/Rand/Perrin would then battle the DO as one person.  He would have his Luck, be able to Channel, and his senses would be heightened w/ yellow eyes, and he'd be able to talk to the wolves.

OK, I know I'm on the ledge for this one, and I definitely wouldn't bet even a nickel that this theory is right.  However, it was fun to think about!!
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2009, 11:44:20 PM »
I got the definite impression that the Dark One and the Creator are both self-existent opposites.  I would argue that the Creator is more powerful than the Dark One simply because without creation there is no world (or prison) to destroy and thus nothing for the DO to do.  However, this is a technicality; in terms of what they can do in practice in the context of the world as it is given in WoT, they are probably equally powerful.

In the books it seems likely that the creator created the Wheel, which weaves the Pattern, which makes up the world as we know it.  He created mechanisms within the Wheel itself to counteract the DO when he touched the world (the Dragon being the archetypal example) and is now standing back to see if it works as planned (free will and all that).

The DO, on the other hand, is doing whatever he can to mess things up.  I'm guessing that this is pretty limited, relative to what he could do.  It still makes the humans plenty uncomfortable, though.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »
I actually have always felt that the Creator is sort of outta things.… Like that he is an independent entity with no relations to anyone (including the DO), and that what happens in Randland isn't his first priority (maybe). Just my feeling.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
As I recall there is some all caps dialog near the end of EotW when Rand is about to fight Ishamael the first time that I'm pretty sure is the Creator speaking.  He states that he can't interfere and that only the "chosen one", i.e. Rand, can do what must be done.  I'll look up the exact quote when I get home if no one else beats me to it.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2009, 10:25:51 PM »
As I recall there is some all caps dialog near the end of EotW when Rand is about to fight Ishamael the first time that I'm pretty sure is the Creator speaking.  He states that he can't interfere and that only the "chosen one", i.e. Rand, can do what must be done.  I'll look up the exact quote when I get home if no one else beats me to it.

TEotW: Chapter 51:

Rand pounds on the ground and a wall of flame and rock pours over the Trollocs. He says, "This has to end." A voice in his head says, "IT IS NOT HERE. I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL." Rand says, "Where?" The voice says, "NOT HERE."

Obviously this is para-phrased (except for the part in quotes).

This is the ONLY time rand talks to this particular voice. It doesn't explicitly say it's the creator anywhere that I'm aware of, but I know alot of people take it to be that.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:52 PM »
Personally I think it is the Creator and the DO is trapped inside the pattern. He also won't actually take part in the battle, but Rand & Moridin will do the actual physical fighting. Purely a guess, and can't wait to find out!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2009, 04:27:34 AM »
Maybe the Dark One and the Creator are brothers.… LOL That would be funny!!!! :D
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

TMan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Lolchair
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
Maybe the Dark One and the Creator are brothers.… LOL That would be funny!!!! :D

Then who's kids are they?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

Rand's and Elayne's! TIME PARADOX!!!! :O
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »

Please, not Elayne!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »

Which one's the boy and which one's the girl?   :)
He ate my horse.