Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 88764 times)

Rrikor

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #405 on: February 24, 2009, 06:56:45 PM »
And LTT sure hasn't forgotten how to channel.  We can see that the few times that he takes control of the power before Rand can stop him.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »
And LTT sure hasn't forgotten how to channel.  We can see that the few times that he takes control of the power before Rand can stop him.
How is this relevant?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
Well, if he remembers how to channel, he probably remembers what saidin felt like when it was clean, and he knows the difference between that and the tainted version.  It seems to me that his testimony is fairly reliable.
He ate my horse.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 24, 2009, 11:40:41 PM »
I wouldn't base my thoughts and decisions on what a madman thinks–to me, it's just not logical.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 24, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
Madmen are not completely irrational. It's not logical to discount everything they say, but you have to exercise judgment in the areas where you know they are mad.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »
If a person is mad in certain areas, I'd be pretty careful basing anything on what they say, even if it's not in those particular *areas.*
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2009, 12:57:35 AM »
Being careful and a blanket decision to ignore everything they say are different things. Also, everyone is irrational about one thing or another.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »
*Applause* Ookla is completely right on humanity... we are a bunch of irrational teenagers who never really grow up we mask it with, as W. says, edumacationism. Anyway LTT is sometimes surprisingly sane... and i think his madness is a way to escape the guilt of killing his wife.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 25, 2009, 01:37:04 AM »
Well, his madness caused him to kill his wife, so it can't entirely be that.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #414 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:14 AM »
Well, he could actually be less mad now than when he killed his wife. In the prologue to TEoTW, Ishmael heals him so he can understand what he's done. I don't know how that works with him dying and everything. In any case, I think saidin is probably clean now, and Lews Therin seems to be fairly reliable about most power-related things.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 25, 2009, 04:09:32 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't actually remember what LTT said about saidin after it was cleansed. Can someone provide a quote or summary?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Ferrin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 25, 2009, 05:25:13 AM »
REALLY late to this discussion and not sure if my theory is someone elses or not (read upto page 8 before posting this).

Rand is meant to live and too die, Logain gains glory by walking over Rand's body, three women are crying over Rand's body and the Seanchen women who's name slips my mind is to help Rand die.

My theory is this.

Mazrim Taim confronts Rand and the Seanchen women, he attacks the Seanchen women and Rand cannot grasp Saidin, he dies because he can't have another women dead because of him. Logain proceeds to fight Taim, Aviendha, Elayne and Min are all crying over Rand's dead body during this time.

Logain eventually uses balefire and kills Taim thus resurrecting Rand though minus LTT. That would explain in my mind how all of Min's viewings happen. Just occurred to me reading this thread, and it wouldn't really surprise me to see something along those lines occur. As Rand dies and lives, Logain gains glory, the Seanchen women helps Rand die, and the three women over Rand's body all happen.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2009, 05:26:08 AM »
Well, he could actually be less mad now than when he killed his wife. In the prologue to TEoTW, Ishmael heals him so he can understand what he's done.
Arr, you're right. There's so much WoT stuff I've forgotten.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
REALLY late to this discussion and not sure if my theory is someone elses or not (read upto page 8 before posting this).

Rand is meant to live and too die, Logain gains glory by walking over Rand's body, three women are crying over Rand's body and the Seanchen women who's name slips my mind is to help Rand die.

My theory is this.

Mazrim Taim confronts Rand and the Seanchen women, he attacks the Seanchen women and Rand cannot grasp Saidin, he dies because he can't have another women dead because of him. Logain proceeds to fight Taim, Aviendha, Elayne and Min are all crying over Rand's dead body during this time.

Logain eventually uses balefire and kills Taim thus resurrecting Rand though minus LTT. That would explain in my mind how all of Min's viewings happen. Just occurred to me reading this thread, and it wouldn't really surprise me to see something along those lines occur. As Rand dies and lives, Logain gains glory, the Seanchen women helps Rand die, and the three women over Rand's body all happen.

Good theory. It makes sense that balefire would be used. It definately would fit with the cryptic, "to live, you must die", answer the Finn gave Rand. I also went and did some more digging on this and found a passage in LoC where Nicola has a viewing and it may point to Rand dying but yet still is alive in the end:

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle...."

It also fits with the three women crying over Rand.

The lion sword- Elayne
dedicated spear- Aviendha
she who sees beyond- Min

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 02:53:27 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
I hate to be mister gloom and doom, but Rand's living could merely be his life given up for his cause, or more likely his bloodline continuing...I personally think he will somehow come back... but there still is the posibility of him not. ???
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz