Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 88785 times)

Publius

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
RJ was planning to write other novels in the WOT universe, so I don’t think that the wheel will be broken or the One Power will be destroyed. 

Possible Spoilers****

I think Rand battles the Dark One, dies, returns as the Light, defeats the Dark One, and becomes one with the wheel keeping it turning.  Rand is dead, but he’s not, so a memory of light would be a memory of Rand.

I have to ask about a minor story line, that of Birgette Silverbow and Gaidel Kain.  In the world of dreams its revealed that when they get recycled that they always find one another no matter what.  He got recycled and she got yanked out of the dream world. 

For the longest time I thought that Mat’s memories were Gaidel Kain's, and that Birgette was the Daughters of the Nine Moons.  They met in the bar once, I think it was their only meeting, and they seemed to have a connection between one another.  I know about Tuon, but does anyone think that Birgette also could be the Daughter of the Nine Moons? 

Everyone else seems to be connected to 2 or 3 women why not Mat?  Or is Gaidel the ugly kid following Mat around.   This story line always stuck out to me, and I don’t know why.

Anyone have any other thoughts about this story line?
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 04:48:22 AM »
I'm not sure that Birgitte could really be the Daughter of the Nine Moons…. The DotNM (abb.) is a Seanchan title, and has been for many, many years. It was clear that it was currently held by a person while Birgitte was still attached to the Wheel in Tel'aran'rhiod. The timing just doesn't really work when you think about it.
Also, the differences (even tiny details) between Mat and Gaidal are rather large. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Gaidal has always been a rather ugly human when spun from the wheel–and from what we seen, Mat certainly is not. And I also think that Gaidal has always been of a willful, brave, stand-and-fight nature. Mat is willful, and brave (this could certainly be debated), but I think he would often run and save himself then risk the chance of dying by staying and fighting. These are my thoughts.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 07:50:34 AM »
[SpoilersBelow]

I am sure that Tuon is the DotNM and not Birgitte. I recall one scene toward the end KoD where Tuon finalized her Seanchan-tradition marriage to Mat by speaking his name three times in quick succession. Once Tuon spoke Mat's name for the final time the dice rolling in Mat's head stopped. That indicated to me that Mat had done what he was supposed to do, marry the DotNM.

That ugly kid following Mat around is Olver. RJ has confirmed that Olver is not Gaidal Cain.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »
You guys are probably right, it’s been a long time since I’ve read the series. I was thinking that perhaps at one time Birgette was weaved out as a Seanchan, so that she could be the DotNM.  I also never thought that Mat was Gaidel just that he possessed all his battle memories.  But as you guys have pointed out that is probably not the case
On another point, I’ve read one posting here and a lot of posts elsewhere about RJ not killing off any of his characters.  If you’re going to plan a series around the idea that it’s going to end in a huge battle, which I hope is at least a 100-200 pages, then you need to have characters that people care about.

What I find exciting about this series is that its RJ’s first epic fantasy series he’s done that’s his own.  We don’t know if he’s going to kill everyone off or not because he doesn’t have a history of him doing so or not.  When this big massive battle begins we should have 8-10 different points of view of the same battle, and when that first major character is killed off it’ll have everyone who’s grown up with these characters on the edge of their seats!  Personally, I think that a lot of characters are going to die in AMoL, whether or not their returned from the dead I don’t know. 

Anyone else think that the last paragraph of AMoL will be the same as the first paragraph of the first chapter of every WOT book?
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
It definitely could be….But you know how after every book in WoT, RJ ends the book with a quote/poem/prophesy from some characters from his story? Maybe that will be the quote….

I personally hope RJ kills off at least some characters in AMoL. I find a book much more powerful and gripping if the author creates characters who the readers can associate with and like, and then kills (some of) them off. (But not if they just like fall off a building and die by accident. It has to be meaningful.)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
As far as death goes, I feel that characters shouldn't die just so you can say that somebody died. I also think it can be taken too far, where almost everybody dies (I'm looking at you, G.R.R.M!)
However, if nobody dies I think the book is cheapened a bit. There has to be a cost. It has to be real.

As far as the WOT goes, I am almost certain Rand will die. He's setting himself up to be a martyr, he thinks he is going to die (although normally if Rand thinks something, he's wrong.)

It seems like there is some intentional symbolism that Rand is a bit like the Christ; the Crown of Thorns, the pierced side, his hand. The prophecy is that he will die to save the world. Whether he will be ressurected like Christ I don't know; it depends on if the analogy is purposeful, and how far RJ will take it.

Personally I hope that Rand will not be ressurected, as that cheapens his death. Makes it feel like it didn't matter. But we shall see!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
I think Semirhage will escape through Elza, and Caddy will waltz along and fight them both when Semi and Elza is linked. Now.....if only Nynaeve was there.....Caddy would die from Semi, killing Elza, and Nyna. would kill Semi., and Cadsuane would bestow her jewelry to Nynaeve.  :o :o That would be awesome. *hides from the stares*

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
I agree with  you, Reaves. Killing off characters just for the sake of having people die can ruin a story. You are also correct in saying that everybody shouldn't die–this isn't 'I Am Legend.'

Although I don't think this will happen, I think it would be cool if Rand got Elayne, Aviendha, or Min pregnant and then dies. Then it would be like he was passing his legacy down to his child. I don't know, I just think that'd be cool.

Um…Raphael, not to be mean or anything, but I think it's sort of a good thing that Mr. Sanderson's writing the story…no offense.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
RJ hasn't really shown an inclination to kill anyone but bad guys in his previous works.  And since this series seems to be his Epic Fantasy written from the stereotype (genre), I think that he would have continued along in that vein.  Since Epic Fantasy was mainly about escapism, the ultimate cost of death really isn't satisfying.

That said, Visions and prophesies have already alluded to Rand surviving.  Min had a vision in which he and The Dragon would split.  Rand took that to mean that he was not insane, that the voice in his head was real.  Along with most of the other Visions, and Reaves' take about the Christ symbolism; I would think that Rand survives and Lews Therin Telamon (who wants to die), sacrifices himself for the good of all mankind.  Or something like that. ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
But the vision where he splits from the Dragon doesn't necessarily mean he becomes separate from Lews Therin Telamon; it could be more metaphorical (aren't Min's visions often so?). For example, it could mean that he becomes separate from the responsibilities and stuff of the Dragon.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »
that vision of Min's was one of the things I was specifically thinking of when Rand is certain it means one thing and I am certain he is wrong. I think that vision has something to do with Moridin, and Rand's connection with him.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
I could be wrong but I think that most of Min's visions have actually come about quite literal.  Maybe not in ways we expected, but the way that they were worded.  Perrin got his falcon in Faile.

It just seems too far of a reach for RJ to start killing characters at this point.  There's been nothing in the other books to support that kinda thing.

*************Spoiler**************************

(Except when Rand faced Ravin, and nobody stayed dead that time.)

That by itself suggests what could happen, and would also stay within the style of his writtings.

True Reaves, I had never really thought about that connection to Min's vision.  And it could very well be just that.

I just find it hard to credit that RJ would kill major protagonists at this late juncture.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
If only Faile would die......*sigh* Wishful thinking.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
If only Faile would die......*sigh* Wishful thinking.

Really? I like her most of the time. It's Baerelain (sp?) that annoys me the most. :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 01:26:40 AM »
I wish Faile would die, too. All she does is go around, muttering about the art of controlling a husband, get captured by more people, act important, and then make Perrin risk his neck to go save her.

Necroben- How many thirteen-book series' have you read where major characters die halfway through?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.