Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 85535 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
I think that the only way to re-seal the bore fully would be to use both choeden kal (sp?), which is kind of impossible since one is now dead. So, I like this remaking thing.

Also, another possibility that has been brought up is that Rand kills the Dark One but someone else replaces the Dark One immediately after due to the need of the pattern to have a Dark One. I think it's needlessly complex, but I haven't seen anyone prove it wrong yet, so...

There's two different categories:  Proven wrong, and remotely likely.  If this book was by, say, Brandon Sanderson, this outcome would not be unreasonable, all things considered.  In RJ's work, though, it seems to go against some very deep grain when it comes to the nature of the Creator and the DO---the two of them seem to be forces outside the nature of the pattern itself, untouchable from within it.  The DO seems to have the Creator's power but very different motivations.  The standard Randland catechism, the descriptions of the bore, RJ's statements on the matter---they all combine to create an atmosphere in which anything besides saving the world for the moment from a perpetual, self-existent threat is unlikely.

While I agree with everything you said here, as you are most likely right, I'm going to go ahead and stick with my insane-o theory from earlier wherein Elayne gives birth to the creator and the DO, Thom ends up being Moiraine, Lan is a goat, Lews therin was in hiding the whole time, and the swamp monster protecting the pirate treasure was actually old man Jenkins from the gas station up the road (I embellish it a bit) that I will now dub Theory Awesome.

Seriously, though, I HIGHLY doubt that the DO will be "killed" then replaced. While there's certainly nothing explicitly barring it currently, it just doesn't seem to follow RJ's writing style.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »
I'm curious as to what further part the Horn of Valere and the dead/brought-back-to-life heroes will play in AMoL…yeah, they'll probably come back and kill lots of Trollocs and Fades and stuff, but somehow I always thought Artur Hawking and his guys would do something big in the last book, like bring the secret of cleaning Saidin (I thought that before it was cleansed, obviously) or how to stop the True Power, or…something.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2009, 04:30:23 AM »
To Shaggy:

Its also quite possible that the Horn of Valerie is a red herring (we must remember it played no role at the end of the AOL) and will not have a significant role in AMOL at all.   RJ is said to have intended to have left certain subplots  unresolved in AMOL.  Moreover, we know he had intended to write an outrigger novel based 10 years after Tarmon Goidon centered on Mat and Tuon in which the Horn of Valeire could have played a part.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2009, 05:50:21 AM »
Oh, I see…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »
To Shaggy:

Its also quite possible that the Horn of Valerie is a red herring (we must remember it played no role at the end of the AOL) and will not have a significant role in AMOL at all.   RJ is said to have intended to have left certain subplots  unresolved in AMOL.  Moreover, we know he had intended to write an outrigger novel based 10 years after Tarmon Goidon centered on Mat and Tuon in which the Horn of Valeire could have played a part.

That could be, that would make an interesting outrigger, but I don't think so.  The horn is supposed to bring the heroes from the AOL's back to battle the DO. RJ was pretty good about setting up characters and other events.  How many books had one or two sentences about Logain before he became a part of the story?  I think the Horn of Valere is the same way.  I think he talked about it just enough, so that when he goes back to it we'll remember the importance of it. 

I think that since this series was originally supposed to be a six book series(??), and the role that the horn played in the first couple of books, and that he knew from the get go how the series would end, I think the horn definitely plays a part.  On top of that it'll probably be the pivotal point in the battle.

I'm wondering if Jain Farstrider has a role in the final book or not?  So far it doesn't seem like he even belongs in the story.  Here's what it says about him in the glossary.

A hero of the northern lands who journeyed to many lands and had many adventures; the author of many books, as well as being the subject of books and stories.  He vanished in 981 NE, after returning from a trip into the Great Blight which some said had taken him all the way to Shayol Ghul.

He could be a red herring, however, lets say he's not.  What's his purpose?  There is a group of nomads cruising around looking for a song, I forget the groups name, I think that perhaps the song is tied to Jain Farstrider, and maybe even the Horn of Valere.

Another possibility could be, and I don't know where 981 NE fits into a time line, but maybe he got changed into an Ogre while at Shayul Ghul.  Maybe that is where the Ogre population originated from?

Anyone else have any thoughts about this or anything else?
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
There is quite a bit of speculation that Noal, the mysterious old guy wandering around with Mat who volunteered to be the third for the Moiraine rescue expedition, is Jain Farstrider.

The song the Tinkers are seeking is shown in the Age of Legends memories Rand experiences in Rhuidean in The Shadow Rising.  As I understand it, that song's return and full power use would require the revival of the race that the Green Man at the Eye of the World was the last survivor of.  It is remotely possible that the song might be rediscovered, but I expect it to just be a flavorful bit of history and I very much doubt the Nym will return.  There is a faint possibility that some were preserved in a Stasis Box, but I doubt it.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
I don't remember where it was but I think Min had a viewing that pretty much said Perrin would discover the song.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
Who doesn't think Noal is Jain?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
Who doesn't think Noal is Jain?

I had my suspicions about Noal, but never took the time to confirm my suspicions when I was reading WoT. Now that I am (probably a lot of us) are getting excited about the next book I've been brushing up on some of the WoT web sites. I was surprised that the Noal = Jain Farstrider theory isn't really a theory. It's a well documented fact.

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/characters/j/jain_charin.html

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2009, 03:17:34 AM »
Wait–what's a red herring??

I don't think RJ would let such an important thread like the Horn of Valere just die like that.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2009, 03:25:43 AM »
A red herring is a false scent or something to throw you off the trail of what's really important. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring_(narrative)

I think that the Horn of Valere will definitely show up in the last book.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2009, 03:56:34 AM »
I am looking forward to Mat using the horn to introduce Arthur Hawkwing to Tuon, and have Artur order Tuon to follow Rand.
And Tuon's reaction to mat as hornsounder will be priceless!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2009, 04:17:44 AM »
I am looking forward to Mat using the horn to introduce Arthur Hawkwing to Tuon, and have Artur order Tuon to follow Rand.
And Tuon's reaction to mat as hornsounder will be priceless!

That's the best theory I've heard so far, lol! :D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2009, 05:37:17 AM »
Thanks, Necro.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »
Oh I get it…just out of curiosity, though–why are they called 'red herrings?'

I wonder if Tuon'll like prostrate herself if she sees Hawkwing.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.