Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 88753 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
I think people tend to make things far too complicated sometimes.

It seems most likely that there are two powers in the world:  The Dark Ones power (called the True Power by the Forsaken) and the Creator's Power (called the One Power by everybody.)  Because the Dark One is the opposite of the creator, his power is the power of destruction, which makes it both extremely addictive (destruction is addictive, after all, even in the real world) and singular (destruction does not need help if you are powerful enough).  Because it is the power of the Dark One, he gives it to only those whom he chooses, which is those who will forward his desires.  Because most of the creatures in the world have nothing to do with the Dark One, most cannot sense it's use.

The True Power, on the other hand, is the power of creation.  It is much more subtle than the True Power, just as creation is more subtle than destruction.  It is divided into two parts which both fight and cooperate, and which correspond to male and female.  The tension between the two, as well as their cooperation, create the future, just as the merging of male and female creates the future.  Just like the True Power, it is only given away at the Creator's discretion.  However, as creator he has left the world's future in the hands of his creations, and thus made it generally available based on genetics rather than behavior.

Rand cannot access the true power, and does not have the Saa.  That idea is based off of a very stretched reading of a phenomenon that can easily be explained by other causes.

The link between Rand and Moridin, however, is clearly real and an unknown at this point.
Nature hates being reified.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »
which would also explain Saidar's "weakening."
As I recall, that was specific to things that prevent decay, keep out rodents, etc.  I took it as another sign of the Dark One touching the world more strongly, as the Dark One has been causing food to spontaneously go bad all over the world, rats and such are among his common spies, and everything else mentioned fit thematically as well.  Saidar is as strong as ever, but those applications of it are now having to hold off the Dark One's influence in addition to natural causes.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Rand dies, IMO, because the saying was "To live you must die." I take that to mean if the Dark One wins, he will destroy the Wheel, and if Rand dies in an attempt to beat the Dark One (and wins) he will have the opertunity to be woven back into the thread again in the future.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »
destruction is addictive, after all, even in the real world
happyman I feel I must direct you to one of the threads that I and little_wilson have frequented. I believe it is Nostalgia Alert!!!! There is quite a bit of discussion on the topic of addiction….

if the Dark One wins, he will destroy the Wheel
maxonennis, have you read the entire thread? Because I believe we've talked about the possibility of the destruction of the Wheel and what that would entail quite extensively….
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »
As per several PoV's from Aes Sedia/female channelers we know that there is something strange going on with Saidar from the time Rand cleansed Saidin and on. As for the DO's power being addictive, so is Saidar/Saidin. In the white tower they first train you not to be constantly drawing from it. It's addictive and if you draw too much you'll burn yourself out.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »
What I was thinking was that when Moridan was channeling balefire, he was using the True Power, and Rand was channeling the One Power when his balfire crossed streams with Moridan.  I was thinking that perhaps because balefire was forbidden that maybe that never happened before and that Saidan got mixed with the True Power.  That's why I was suggesting that the Rand and the Ashamen were unknowingly touching the True Power. That is assuming that the One Power and the True Power are opposite powers.  Does that make more sense, or am I still wrong...
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »
We're pretty sure Moridin was channeling Saidin, hence him saying he won't channel Saidin anymore. I still don't think the One Power and the True power are "opposites," the only difference i see is the DO chooses who gets to use the True Power and both men and women can use it. It was obviously part of the seal on his prison, from the PoV in Shadow's Rising.

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:16 AM »
As per several PoV's from Aes Sedia/female channelers we know that there is something strange going on with Saidar from the time Rand cleansed Saidin and on.

The strangeness is caused by the massive amounts of saidar and saidin being used by the Bowl of the Winds. There is more of a problem the closer to the spot it was used and little to no problem when not close.

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2009, 02:56:26 AM »
As per several PoV's from Aes Sedia/female channelers we know that there is something strange going on with Saidar from the time Rand cleansed Saidin and on.

The strangeness is caused by the massive amounts of saidar and saidin being used by the Bowl of the Winds. There is more of a problem the closer to the spot it was used and little to no problem when not close.
Maybe you were referring to the 'failing' of saidar instead - wards to keep rats out of the White Tower and saidar Keepings to keep food fresh aren't working, because the Dark One is going to break out soon. Similarly, flies and weevils are proliferating - remember in book 11 Perrin goes to So Habor and they have a massive warehouse full of rotten grain.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2009, 03:28:27 AM »
Hmm. I'll have to read the later books again, for some reason that idea is engrained in my head :S

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2009, 03:38:29 AM »
But is the One Power a power that comes from the Creator? I thought it comes from the wheel….
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2009, 04:39:08 AM »
But is the One Power a power that comes from the Creator? I thought it comes from the wheel….

My understanding is that the One Power was created by the Creator to turn the wheel. It is not the Creator’s power; it is just one of the Creator’s creations much like the wheel and pattern are.

Therefore, it makes sense that the Dark One is increasingly able to affect the world as we draw closer to the Last Battle. We’ve seen some of the Dark One’s attempts to affect the world through the long summers and winters, and now we’re seeing it by the ‘weakening’ of Saidar.

Of course most of the people I know seem to dismiss my idea as stupid. :D

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »
Your idea is not stupid.  We just think you are looking at it the wrong way.  As the DO touches the world more directly, his affect on the world also increases.  Because of this, the normal wards are less and less effective.  So, it is not that Saidar/Saidin is weakening, but that the forces of destruction are getting stronger.  There is evidence of channelers having difficulty using the power in areas where extreme amounts of the power have been used (Bowl of Winds and the Cleansing).  That still doesn't mean the powers are weakening.  It's like using 100 lbs of force to lift 100 lbs, and then someone adds another 1oo lbs to it.  You are using the same amount of force, but it is no longer enough to get the job done.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
Is it because of the Bowl of the Winds or because Elayne did that whole unweaving the gateway thing that channelers have difficulty in that part of the world?

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »
Your idea is not stupid.  We just think you are looking at it the wrong way.  As the DO touches the world more directly, his affect on the world also increases.  Because of this, the normal wards are less and less effective.  So, it is not that Saidar/Saidin is weakening, but that the forces of destruction are getting stronger.  There is evidence of channelers having difficulty using the power in areas where extreme amounts of the power have been used (Bowl of Winds and the Cleansing).  That still doesn't mean the powers are weakening.  It's like using 100 lbs of force to lift 100 lbs, and then someone adds another 1oo lbs to it.  You are using the same amount of force, but it is no longer enough to get the job done.

I think this explanation hit the nail on the head.  If you go flip through the first books, you will see this happening--though, Jordan's touch is subtle.  To be honest, I can't remember any examples right off the top of my head as it's been a while since I read them, but I do remember seeing it when I read the first four books a second time.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain