Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 88897 times)

smashingsilver

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
RAFO - Read And Find Out, which was RJ's classic phrase to answer questions involving points he didn't want to reveal.

One last thing about Moiraine - for RJ to go through all this work to outline a plot to save Moiraine, the strong hints of her future relationship with Thom, and the detailed rules involving the Finns that include a definite way to "cheat" them, and then just have her be dead already or do nothing in the story is extremely unlikely.  Mat's not going to lose an eye just for the fun of the adventure....  As for the world of the Finns, Moiraine stated earlier in the story (The Shadow Rising) "That world is... folded... in strange ways", but it is also unlikely it is some kind of life/death dimension.  RJ was asked about it in 2000 and he said that world had natural laws, although drastically different from our own.  The world of the Finns is most definitely real, and so Moiraine is still alive and waiting, as previously indicated.

The manner of Rand's death and living again is, as mentioned by others, one of the big mysteries of the last book.  I actually think it quite unlikely Nynaeve will have anything to do with it, but I wouldn't be surprised.  It is probably more likely that it has something to do with Moridin and the body swap, however.

Shaggy, your point about the story never ending is actually pretty accurate.  That is the whole point of the story: "There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time."  If the Wheel were to be destroyed, everything RJ wrote about, the philosophy of everything repeating would have to be ignored.  Remember, our time has already occurred in Rand's time, and will eventually occur again.  Think of the legends and tales Randlanders tell each other, involving Elsbet the queen of the whole world, Mosk & Merk fighting each other, Lenn flying to the moon...these are all obvious references to our recent history.  If the Wheel were to stop turning, that would mean that our world would not occur again.  While that is possible, I would suggest it extremely unlikely.

Also, in Lord of Chaos, Herid Fel tells Rand that the Dark One needs to be sealed in his prison for the Wheel of Time to turn.  If the Dark One breaks free, he will break the Wheel of Time and remake Time and the world in his own image.  Actually, that entire discussion (chapter 16) between Rand & Herid reveals a lot of interesting details regarding the Wheel philosophy.

Finally, it's "Gawyn", not Gawain...even though that's the legendary character that RJ obviously modeled Gawyn after.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
I agree. Moiraine is definitely going to live and might play a pivotal role in the ending of AMOL. But this thread is about who will be alive when the story is over. Some people are going to have to die, even if it's just the bad guys (unless RJ pulls a D.J. MacHale and brings everyone back to life, which I sincerely hope he doesn't). Yes, Moiraine lives, but will she survive the Last Battle?

Smashingsilver, you said "If the Wheel were to be destroyed, everything RJ wrote about, the philosophy of everything repeating would have to be ignored." But maybe that's the point. What if RJ used the destruction of the Wheel as a metaphor, showing how at last, the timeless struggle of the Light is no longer timeless. The Dark One is dead. Finished. A new order is here. The Wheel represents all that (hopefully, by the end of AMOL) no longer exists–Fades, Trollocs (although there will undoubtedly be survivors), Darkfriends…with time and effort, they will all be eradicted. The destruction of the Wheel will keep them that way.

Yes, that discussion has some very good points in it. However, the point you took from that discussion, "If the Dark One breaks free, he will break the Wheel of Time and remake Time and the world in his own image." can be switched around. (1) If the DO breaks free, and Rand/someone kills him, he won't be able to remake Time and the world in his own image. And also, that sentence does not necessarily imply that the DO is connected to the Wheel–it could mean that after he breaks free, he will intentionally break the Wheel, not that his breaking free causes the Wheel to break. And if the DO can break the Wheel of Time…what if Rand and his allies can, too?

I know, I'm sorry, I'm been reading t oo much history. RJ said he was a history buff, and I really believe him. I have found so many parallels between his writing/characters and real historical figures. (Merrilin/Merlin, al'Thor/Arthur, Elayne/Elayne, Gawyn/Gawain, etc.)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Destruction of the Wheel would bring abouyt the end of the universe, so, in that case, everyone dies.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »
Not necessarily. Yes, the Pattern is connected to the Wheel, but if the Wheel is destroyed,  technically couldn't the Pattern survive?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 02:47:18 AM »
I don't think so.  The Wheel spins out the Pattern.  So without the Wheel no more Pattern.

I don't think that RJ will break the Wheel.  A lot of his foreshadowing has been geared toward rebirth and reincarnation.  With the Wheel of Time being at the center, RJ had already alluded to the fact that in ages past the battle has been fought before, time without end.

The last book probably wouldn't change that.  IMO :D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 03:06:24 AM »
True….

I've been thinking about how the Dark One's gonna die, and if I had to guess I'd say he'd get hit by balefire. Any other thoughts?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
I dont think the Dark One will, or can, die. In order to "die" he would have to cancel out Light. typical when autors use Light and dark (day/night, whatever) to describe good and evil, their destruction can only come about by combining, or cancelling, with the other force (also see "Ruin" and "Preservation" in Mistborn). You cannot have Good without Evil. The Dark One does not die here, but maybe "bottled up" again, waiting for the next cycle of ages to restart the whole process again.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 03:26:26 AM »
But the death of the Dark One does not necessarily mean all evil will be gone–far from it. There will be Fades, Trollocs, Darkfriends, and everyone else who followed him still in existence. And plus, it is quite possible to be evil without following or having any connection with the Dark One. Frankly, I don't think just shutting him up again and waiting for next year would be a fitting end to the saga (unless it's changed up a little).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 06:25:52 AM »
I want Gawyn to die because he is so annoying for several reasons

He is a lovesick puppy dog

He is so annoying in assuming Rand killed his mom

He is fighting on the wrong side in the tower

He should have left the tower to go help his sister at Andor, as he is or was to be first prince of the sword, although now he appears destined to become tbe consort of the Amyrlyn.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »
Why on earth would characters that actually mean something get killed off now when it hasn't happened in the prior 3.5 Million words of the series?  This isnt a Steven Erikson or a George R R Martin series.

No, the more likely scenario is that the hints laid out in the past suggesting that people who make an insanely large impact get bound to the wheel.  As a previous poster said, the whole point of the WoT is that there is no beginning nor end.  You can have A beginning.  You can have AN end.  However, neither of those will stop the WoT from turning.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »
You all bring up some interesting possiblities. The one thing I must disagree with is the prospect of the Wheel breaking. I'm pretty sure that the only one that would actualy want that to happen is the DO. The Wheel is the force that drives life to destroy that would cause nothing but chaos and death so, why would the good guys want that? Here are a couple of things that I believe might happen in AMoL:

Spoilers ahead

1. Galad, even though he hates Rand, will join the Whitecloaks to Rand's cause, after realizing that it is the greatest good he can do.

2. Rand survives but somehow Lew's Therin finally dies completely. Thus, fullfilling the Karatheon Prophecy that the Dragon will die during Tarmon Gaidon.

3. Moiraine is saved by Matt and Thom and is returned with crucial knowledge concerning how to win Tarmon Gaidon.

4. One of the Forsaken will help Rand win Tarmon Gaidon not sure which one but I'm leaning toward Graendal.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:01:14 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

2. Rand survives but somehow Lew's Therin finally dies completely. Thus, fullfilling the Karatheon Prophecy that the Dragon will die during Tarmon Gaidon.

3. Moiraine is saved by Matt and Thom and is returned with crucial knowledge concerning how to win Tarmon Gaidon.

4. One of the Forsaken will help Rand win Tarmon Gaidon not sure which one but I'm leaning toward Graendal.

I agree with all of those.  BTW, I voted one or two...though...I'm sure there will be a couple.  I can't wait to read that book!  ARGG
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 12:10:39 AM »
You can't blame the man; he's just ignorant! (Although he is rather annoying….)

In response to the book store guy…read "Mistborn."
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

softcap6

• Level 1
    • View Profile
A Memory of Light
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »
 In  "Knife of Dreams" Rand loses a hand. What would everyone think if, Rand went through the same ceremony as Elaine and Aviendha, However, instead of just strengthening the bond, Rand is Reborn and has both hands again???

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 04:54:25 AM »
I don't think it works that way. The ceremony Elaine and Aviendha went through–I think they and some (all?) of the people in the room felt like they were going through it, but it was an illusion. Elaine and Aviendha weren't physically reborn–it just wouldn't make sense. And, also, just because they were "reborn" doesn't mean they were perfectly healed–if all their illnesses and pains were taken away, I am sure Rj (through Elaine and Aviendha) would have mentioned something.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.