Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 85526 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
A Memory of Light
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:40:50 AM »
I'm curious…has Mr. Rigney gone for the heartbreakingly tragic ending where all the good guys sacrifice their lives for the betterment of the world? Or will he go for a "happily ever after" ending? What do you think?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
Somehow I don't see Rand dying permanently (I wouldn't be mad if he did, but I don't think he will)

I have a feeling something BIG is going to happen though. A Memory of Light is a really thought provoking title. It sounds as if it is from the point of view of someone AFTER Tar'mon Gaidon. Like they remember what it was like to have the One Power, but somehow the One Power has been removed from Randland, never to be touched again. (IE the Wheel is broken and the world no longer repeats itself.

But that is just MY theory. :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »
I could see that as a possible outcome.

(**Possible **SPOILERS** below**)

I thought the title was more of a rallying point. Almost like the forces of the dark come to the point of almost winning. Maybe the dark one gets freed from his prison and the battle is almost lost. In those moments A Memory of Light could be what the good guys think about while turning the tide. In the end all those who are fighting remember what they are fighting for and decide to give it all. Maybe some of the forsaken trade sides. I don't know.

It doesn't seem out of the realm of possabilities for Rand to die. I almost expect it. I do think it would make sense for Matt, Perrin, Elayne, Avienda and Egwene to survive and after Tarmon Gaidon they become the leaders of the New Age. I also think it possable for Moraine to be saved only to die in the end and most likely with Thom in some sort of sacrifice for the greater good.

Thinking about it I do think Rand dies. That opens the characters like Min, Avienda and Elayne up to have there own lives while not being so closely connected after Tarmon Gaidon. I also think it is possable that A Memory of Light could be Egwene dies and all the Asi Sedi realize that they must fight the tyranny in the tower. They all join together with the good Asha Men in a memory of what the tower and the One Source stand for in a final battle of sorts.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:26:32 PM »
I personally think Rand will die, because he expects it. Before the bonding ceremony with him, Aviendha, Elayne, and Min, the main reason he doesn't want them around him is because he is afraid of hurting them. (1) They could be caught up in an attack on him, but also (2) he *knows* he is going to die and he doesn't want them to have to live with the pain of his death. All the same, I think he'll die, and the three girls will find other people (or maybe they'll all die, too?) to love. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »
Oh, I think he'll die. But I don't think he'll stay dead.

I'm also not sure that anyone but him will know that he didn't stay dead.

I think the 3 girls will survive.

I wouldn't be surprised if Egwene or Lan died though.

Actually, I take that back, I don't think Lan will die.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:48:38 PM by Gloria Gloria HalleLoudjah »
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »
Obviously, the Wheel of Time must be broken (otherwise, the DO would have another chance to control world, kill Rand, etc.). But how will it break? Who will do the breaking? Do you think that the DO is somehow connected to the Wheel, and when he dies, the Wheel breaks? Just a thought….

And also, how is Rand going to kill the DO (I'm assuming Rand is going to kill the DO, unless RJ has decided to uncover a twisted sense of humor and have the DO like fall off a building or something. Or get killed by, like, Wil al'Seen or something. Or one of the other major characters could do it, too, I guess)? WIll it be through  the OP, or physical means, or what? Any thoughts?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Clomer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »
I've always felt that the books we are reading are actually what Loial is writing - his book about these events that he starts writing during the events in book 1.  Granted, I could easily be wrong about this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

One thing that excites me, though, is that it was long ago that I read that RJ had written the last scene, and more recently Brandon has said that the last scene, as written by RJ, will appear in the book.  This is encouraging, as it means that it wasn't just a "make it up as I go" thing (which I'm pretty sure is how Tolkien wrote LotR), but he had direction and a plan.

I'm looking forward as much as anyone to the release of WoT book 12.

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:19:22 PM »
i allways figured that Rand would die in some way, maybe not permanently but he would die because prophesy says he has to. Mat will live though, i cant remember when but euol had a blog post that said it was a possibility he may write some books about Mat after amol.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »
I've always enjoyed RJ's side characters…in particular the woman who fed the forkroot to Elayne and Nynaeve. I don't know why; I just find them amusing. Which characters have you guys enjoyed the most?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

smashingsilver

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 02:57:13 AM »
Rand will die, at least temporarily, but it will not last.  Perhaps Nynaeve will figure out how to bring someone back to life, as she has been dreaming to do since the series started.  Mat will survive according to RJ, as he had plans to write one spinoff novel involving Mat and Tuon.  As for the wheel being broken, I seriously doubt this would happen unless the Dark One won the final battle.  Remember, the Dark One's goal is to kill time by destroying the Wheel - it is the Wheel that essentially keeps him trapped in his prison completely.  And I can't see RJ devising an ending where the Dark One wins, because the point of this entire world is that everything is cyclical, that the Dragon is constantly reborn to fight and defeat the Dark One to save the world.  The light will win in the end, although the manner of their victory is a big unknown.  RJ is also not the type to come to slaughter all his good guys; he can't even kill off Moiraine in the end.  I would be shocked if Egwene died too; she has her, as of yet, unfulfilled dream involving a Seanchan woman saving her.  Since the upcoming Seanchan attack on the White Tower would be the perfect opportunity to knock her off, it seems quite improbable that she will meet her demise at all.  There has been absolutely no foreshadowing for that, and RJ hints at pretty much everything that happens in this story (although it's often pretty difficult to figure out all the details).

All that being said, I'm greatly anticipating this final volume.  There will be a few big surprises I'm sure.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:27:18 AM »
Smashingsilver, I'm going to have to disagree with you on several points. First of all, Nynaeve will most likely NOT figure out how to bring someone back to life–that would open up too much. Then everyone (including those dead of natural causes) would come back and it just wouldn't work. Yes, Mat will probably survive (he's that kinda guy). Second, I think that the Wheel could maybe be destroyed with the DO losing. If not, then the story has no ending! The DO will just try again next time. And, if the Wheel isn't destroyed, then the book will probably end simply in Rand's Age. Thirdly, you do not know that Moiraine is alive. Yes, it seems so, but we do not really know. She could be merely imprisoned by the Eelfinn/Aelfinn, and is somehow contacting those who are alive (perhaps she's in some kind of limbo world between life and death–somewhere where the Eelfinn/Aelfinn are the dominants). What are your thoughts?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:36:03 AM »
Moraine is alive as she has seen a potential rescue in the rings, that can succeed or fail. Rand will die but somehow live, as foretold.  Whether this is the body swap with Moridin, as they are now linked, or something else is unclear.  I suspect some of the forsaken will survive to prevent the series from being smoothly wrapped up.  Berelain and Galad will pair up.  Lan may die although i could see Lan and Nyneave return to rule a reborn Malkeri. Taim and Logain will have it out at the black tower, and someh ow the peace settlement with the Seanchan between Rand and tuon will anger Egwene.  Matt will introdce Tuon to Arthur Hawkwing when he blows the horn. Tuon will return to reclaim Seanchan with Matt at her side.  (Hopefully we will see this in a future book.) Bela will live and be revealed as the alter ego of the creator, LOL.  Hopefully, Faile and Gawain will die. 

Along the way, TRand will reuite with Moraine, the wondergirls will be shocked to discover MAtt is the Prince of the Ravens, Gawain will finally discover Rand did not kill his mother, and Elaine, Galad and Gawain will be reuinted with Mom.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »
why do you want Faile and Gawain to die?? I find Faile extremely annoying, but I like Gawain……
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »
Moraine has to live, Min had a viewing. Rand has to die, but to live he must die. Who knows what that means. Personally I just can't wait to RAFO!!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »
Yes, Moiraine has to live. But then she could die! She could *live* up to Min's viewing, then die. So really she could have no further impact on the story, ignoring the fact that certain peoples (Thom, Mat, Noal?) go out of their way to go to the tower thing or whatever it's called.

what's RAFO?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.