Author Topic: The Day the Earth Stood Still  (Read 2689 times)

Captain_Squally

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Dum de dum AH MY HAND!
    • View Profile
The Day the Earth Stood Still
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
Anyone see the remake?  I just saw it myself over the holidays, as well as the old original.  I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts.

I think the environmental theme was a little thickly laid on, especially considering the original movie focused its lesson on the violent squabbling of the human race, which is still as valid a complaint as ever.  I didn't see a need to drop that theme in favor of the environmental one, but it still worked okay regardless.

Besides that, the special effects were super cool.  I get a bit tired of people ragging on special effects heavy movies, and I'm sure many people here can agree.  After all, CG effects are the cheapest and prettiest way to portray all those wonderful things we lovers of fantasy and sci-fi enjoy.  Imgaine Lord of the Rings without special effects?  Everything would have to be cut back in scale.  The point of a special effects piece is to be epic and portray the nigh unfilmable.  I do believe there is a place for such in modern cinema.

I'd love to hear anyone's two cents on the movie itself, or your thoughts on special effects in modern cinema in general.

*Spoliers*

The giant sentinel Keanu brought with him for protection was unbelievebale.  Had me crapping my pants everytime it came to life.  Freaky!!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
Didn't like the original... is the remake any better?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
I'm on the edge when it comes to CG. When used sparingly it is ok, but if a movie is completely dependent on it (unless, of course, the movie is nothing but CG, ala Pixar, etc) it kinda loses the pull a movie has on me. I mean, looking back before there was really CG, at movies like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, those movies had amazing epic fantasy feelings without depending on CG.

There is a place for CG, but there is also a point where one has to step back and say, "that's way too much."

And as for TDtESS remake, haven't seen it, probably won't in theaters. Loved the original though. It will probably be a DVD rental at some point in the future.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:48:42 AM »
Yeah, I just saw it.  I have to agree that the environmental theme was laid on pretty thick.  That by itself turned me away from it.  If your gonna do it, at least be accurate.

Aside from theme skipping I thought the movie was ok.  Nothing great, but not really horrible.  I do wish that I had waited to rent it, but them's the breaks.  It wasn't worth what theaters are charging for admission.  Not for special effects alone; they were cool, but didn't make the movie.

I'm a sucker for end-of-the-world type movies, but this was just a let-down.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:12:25 AM »
What's it about? I'm debating about renting it….
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
You know, you could have tried Wikipedia first.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
I've never trusted Wikipedia after sixth grade. I was doing research on medieval cannons for school, so I looked up 'medieval cannons' on Wikipedia. The first line said something like, 'Chinese medieval cannons were, essentially, pieces of shirt.' Not exactly a primary source.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:37:24 PM by Shaggy »
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:12:43 AM »
No, and you're unlikely to find any relevant primary sources in your school library, either.  Wikipedia is a tertiary source, and is an excellent resource if you know how to use it.

If you find that there's vandalism (as you came across with cannons) on a page, you can help everyone out by reverting it to the previous version.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
Um…I was trying to make a joke…sorry if that's against the rules. And every time I have a question I'm not gonna go running to wikipedia like some little kid who took a crap in his diaper. Sorry if you think that's rude, but honestly, I feel like you're sorta terse with me and as far as I know I didn't do anything wrong….
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Madjius

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 04:17:04 AM »
Um…I was trying to make a joke…sorry if that's against the rules. And every time I have a question I'm not gonna go running to wikipedia like some little kid who took a crap in his diaper. Sorry if you think that's rude, but honestly, I feel like you're sorta terse with me and as far as I know I didn't do anything wrong….
Word!

I enjoyed that move ALOT!, actualy never saw the old one, now im glad i didnt :D