Author Topic: Wow, does Mr. Sanderson like -born or what?  (Read 5003 times)

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
Wow, does Mr. Sanderson like -born or what?
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:20 PM »
There's a novelette on Tor.com by Brandon. A true Science Fiction story called Firstborn. Here it is.

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=story&id=10489

(And if this has been posted, sorry. Delete away oh wise and mighty admins.)

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, does Mr. Sanderson like -born or what?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:27:36 PM »
I just read it, it's a good story.  I didn't know EUOL could write sci-fi.  It's the kind of sci-fi I like, too - all the emphasis is on characters rather than technology.
He ate my horse.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »
That's a great short story. At some points in the story I was worried it would end like Ender's Game. Then I reminded myself that Brandon strives to not be too cliche in his stories. I didn't see that end coming, but I liked it. :)

The holographic battle commanding sounds like a cool idea. I could see that being incorporated into some cool scifi movies/tv shows.

I'm not sure when Brandon wrote this, but I assume it was in the last year. It was probably a very nice break to write something short and succinct since he's been immersed in AMOL 10+ hours a day.

Gher, thanks for the link to the story. It's always fun to read Brandon's work!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »
There's an audio version read by EUOL and Permberly that should be up on Tor.com before the end of the month.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

luckyduke

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:35 PM »
I haven't been to the tor site in ages, but somehow was there and came across Firstborn about 4 hours after they posted it.  I've read Elantris and the Mistborn series, and really enjoyed Firstborn as well.

mrod271

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »

I'm not sure when Brandon wrote this, but I assume it was in the last year. It was probably a very nice break to write something short and succinct since he's been immersed in AMOL 10+ hours a day.

If I remember reading correctly, this was his first ever published short story directly after college for their literary magazine and re-edted for Tor.com.  Even his early works showed his great potential!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »
The audio version is available on the left-side link that says "listen."

I hadn't read this story before; just read it over lunch. It's classic Brandon. Very nice. I didn't see it coming.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
mrod, you're right. I just read Brandon's blog post about it (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/740/Free-Short-Story) and it was written a long time ago. Looks like my theory about a little break from AMOL was way off. He's obviously working on that like a mad goat with no other projects right now. The progress bar on his site is at 98% today. Wow!

mrod271

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »
i will be doing my own little happy dance when the bar hits 100%.  Even though I know there's quite a few more drafts and edits and it will still be forever and it may just be the first of 2 books.   After waiting year after year since around book 3 for each new release I'm starving for the next part of the story.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:28:37 AM »
Yeah, I just read Firstborn and will probably listen to it tonight.

Amazing.  That was truly awesome.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 02:53:06 AM »
That was a really great story. I could see that become a full length book if Brandon wasn't already swamped. I do hope that he does venture into Sci-Fi in the future. All the short stories he has written so far are really great.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 04:31:56 AM »
I was listening to it, and I swear at one point you could hear Limebabby cooing in the background as Pemberly was reading. Remember Brandon, out of sight, out of mind.  ;D

Anyway, good story.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:30:15 AM »
I just read the story and I really did think it was great. It started out pretty rough but wow I am glad I read it all the way through.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 06:25:46 PM »
Wow, I wish that my stories right out of college were that good.  An enjoyable read, and unlike most Sanderson novels, I didn't need several days to read it. :D

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 08:56:39 PM »
There's an audio version read by EUOL and Permberly that should be up on Tor.com before the end of the month.

The audio version is only 14 minutes long :(

I read the story and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was hoping that I would get to hear the whole thing read out loud to me, but it seems that Tor has only made a snippet available :(
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.