Author Topic: Table of Allomantic Metals *Spoilers*  (Read 18162 times)

willottica

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Table of Allomantic Metals *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »
I noticed a typo in the spoiler, in the internal/external metals chart, "interal" is missing an "n".

Beyond the obvious, there are some things that don't quite make sense.  If Preservation wanted to provide maximum benefit to those affected by the mists, why not replace the internal enhancement metals.  What good are 'gnat' mistings?

On the other hand, it's not specified in the books that the "atium" mistings should have been able to burn external temporal metals instead.  And this makes some sense as well, since if the difficulty of snapping were determined by the strength of the mists, then each misting type should have had a different reaction, ranging from a single cough or sneeze for gold mistings to the full-out mistfallen attack.  A single changed metal might explain why only 1 of 16 got a stronger response.

Though I still think it would make more sense if EVERYONE could burn atium.  (Everyone can burn Larasium after all, can't they?)  The thing is that no-one would bother wasting an atium bead on a non-mistborn, because they're far too valuable.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
I've gotten a little OCD over the table of late, and feel I must post what I've worked out about the feruchemical and hemallurgical properties of the metals.

so here goes.

I'll start with an index of metals. Adjusted as little as possible from the Table of Allomantic metals posted and what has been figured out.

1. Iron                                 External Physical Pulling Metal
2. Steel                               External Physical Pushing Metal
3. Tin                                  Internal Physical Pulling Metal
4. Pewter                           Internal Physical Pushing Metal
5. Zinc                                External Mental Pulling Metal
6. Brass                              External Mental Pushing Metal
7. Copper                           Internal Mental Pulling Metal
8. Bronze                           Internal Mental Pushing Metal
9. Chromium                   External Enhancement Pulling Metal
10. Nicrosil                       External Enhancement Pushing Metal
11. Aluminum                 Internal Enhancement Pulling Metal
12. Duralumin                Internal Enhancement Pushing Metal
13. Cadmium                   External Temporal Pulling Metal
14. Bendalloy                   External Temporal Pushing Metal
15. Gold                              Internal Temporal Pulling Metal
16. Electrum                    Internal Temporal Pushing Metal
17. Atium                          Ruin God Metal
18. Lerasium                    Preservation God Metal

Simple, arranged and patterns are clearly noticeable

ok, onto feruchemy and hemalurgy

Allomantic Power                                    Feruchemical Power              Hemallurgical Power
                                         Push/Pull                                                         Store                                           Steal
1. Iron                    Pull Metals                                                 Store Physical Weight           Steal Human Strength (Potency)**
2. Steel                  Push Metals                                               Store Physical Speed               Steal Allomantic Physical Powers
3. Tin                     Pull Body (senses)                                    Store Physical Senses             Steal Human Senses (Awareness)**
4. Pewter              Push Body (strength, etc.)                    Store Physical Strength        Steal Feruchemical Physical Powers
5. Zinc                    Pull Emotions (Riot)                       Store Mental Speed       Steal Human Emotional Fortitude (Stability)**
6. Brass                  Push Emotions (Soothe)                        Store Warmth                          Steal Feruchemical Mental Powers
7. Copper               Pull Allomantic Pulses                          Store Memories             Steal Human Mental Fortitude (Presence)**
8. Bronze               Push Allomantic Pulses                         Store Wakefulness                  Steal Allomantic Mental Powers
9. Chromium*     Pull External Allomantic Metals*    Store Neg. Emotions** Steal Feruchemical Enhancement Powers**
10. Nicrosil*         Push External Allomantic Metals*    Store Positive Emotions**  Steal Human Virility**
11. Aluminum     Pull Internal Allomantic Metals        Store Pain**                            Steal Allomantic Enhancement Powers
12. Duralumin    Push Internal Allomantic Metals       Store Virility**                      Steal Human Charisma**
13. Cadmium*     Pull External Time*                               Store Youth**                         Steal Human Longevity**
14. Bendalloy*     Push External Time*                             Store Age**                              Steal Allomantic Temporal Powers**
15. Gold                  Pull Internal Time                                  Store Health                           Steal Feruchemical Temporal Powers**
16. Electrum        Push Internal Time                                Store Beauty**                       Steal Human Beauty**
17. Atium              Foresight***                            Store Any Feruchemical Charge**   Steal Any Allomantic Power*
18. Lerasium*      Allomancy*                                     Store Any Allomantic Power**   Steal Any Feruchemical Power**

* Modified Since Hero of Ages (not canon yet)
** My own modifications based on observed patterns in the metals (not canon)
*** I believe these are incomplete or inaccurate based on observed patterns (not canon)

for the feruchemical stuff, I believe one of the temporal metals should store age (Cadmium or Bendalloy) And Atium store any feruchemical charge. This makes sense in my mind, but may not be canonically correct.

Also... Adding 2 spikes of the same allomantic charge to a person, when placed correctly should grant Allomantic Savanthood... savvy?

Also also, (teehee) The most powerful Inquisitor would probably have 8 steel spikes, 4 Pewter Spikes, 1 or 2 iron spikes, 5 tin spikes (1 for each type of sense), 1 or 2 zinc spikes, 4 brass spikes, 1 or 2 copper spikes, 8 bronze spikes, 4 chromium spikes, 1 or 2 nicrosil spikes, 8 aluminum spikes, 1 or 2 Duralumin spikes, 1or 2 cadmium spikes, 8 bendalloy spikes, 4 gold spikes, 1 to 2 electrum spikes, and 1 atium spike. or just simplify it to 34 atium spikes, 16 lerasium spikes and 5 tin spikes. so... 55 or 61-68 spikes. Whew, that's a lot of math that doesn't matter at all.

Also also also, (yes, I'm tired and laughing at my own jokes right now) I am one of those who holds with the Atium-Electrum Theory and based on the patterns I've worked out on the table I think Pure Atium should grant Feruchemical Powers. Probably wrong about everything here, but hey, whatever.

Which brings up a theory I just thought up. In the deleted chapters about the Well of Ascension in WoA there is a lake nearby the mountain where the Well is. It reminded me of the lake in Elantris, which is directly related to a shard. I propose this lake was atium. If this lake sunk into the ground, perhaps it became what is now the Pits of Hathsin. Also, if that area of the ground was rich in gold and silver, there is no doubt the atium produced there would be sullied with electrum. This could also explain how feruchemists came to be in the first place. Someone drank from the atium lake while it was still pure, instinctively burned it and got feruchemy. Of course, this only holds water if atium does indeed grant feruchemical powers.

In any case, feel free to dissect my list, insult my intelligence or ponder in quiet solitude. If anyone wants to make modifications, I'd love to hear about them, because this stuff is fascinating to me. (obviously.)

So,.... I'm tired. Think I'll go lie on my bed thinking of this all night. /sigh. Stupid insomnia

I'll probably modify this once I figure out what types of metal were used in the spikes for koloss and kandra.
EDIT: half of that is done.
EDIT: koloss are made with 4 iron spikes. Looks like that avenue of research is exhausted.

Also also also also, If anyone can Identify what I'm semi-quoting in my post scripts, I will award them with kudos.

EDIT:
Ugh, I've found a flaw. By my reasoning, I grouped The feruchemical power of storing health as a Temporal Feruchemical Ability, seeing how Gold is a Temporal metal, However in HoA, The HoA specifically states in one of his/her monologues that a pewter spike allowed an Inquisitor to store health, and it gave no mention of needing gold to store this health in. In any case, this may mean all Feruchemical powers are physical or mental, like ordinary human powers seem to be (unless I can think of temporal or enhancement powers normal humans have (beside virility)). Again, ugh.

EDIT: thought of two more possible human abilities that theoretically could be taken by spikes.
EDIT: ok, until we get further info from B.S. I think the hemallurgical section is as complete as possible.
EDIT: ok, got something for each of the feruchemical metals. About half the table is suppositions, but I really like how it turned out. Yes, I have been up all night obsessing over this. Yes, each of these edits are from a different modification to the post. Yes, I'm slightly insane.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:29:28 PM by Valkynphyre »
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:23:08 AM »
Having seperate metals to store "youth" and "age" seems a bit weird seeing other metals function such that you gain one quality by storing and the other by tapping. Surely any feruchemical ability to modify your age would work the same way- meaning you are likely missing a feruchemical ability in your projected chart. :)

edit: Also, what distinguishes virility from the ability to store health? Aren't the two referring to subtly different parts of the same concept?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:24:40 AM by Ari54 »

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 03:10:33 AM »
Umm... guess so.. in any case, that's all I could think of all night, so...

Yeah, whatever, the table will need a little tweaking anyway.

About the youth/age thing. If you can store 'age' you'd just need to always store it and you could be perpetually young, while if you store 'youth' In order to achieve immortality you'd have to have allomancy/feruchemy. So the way I see it, the lord ruler stored youth.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:20 PM »
About the youth/age thing. If you can store 'age' you'd just need to always store it and you could be perpetually young, while if you store 'youth' In order to achieve immortality you'd have to have allomancy/feruchemy. So the way I see it, the lord ruler stored youth.

Right, I'm just saying that this seems to be inconsistent with the other powers, where you don't get two metals that store opposite types of the same property. :)

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
k, I see your point. then storing age should be changed to something else. Should probably combine emotion storing as well. As soon as i can think of an enhancement that people have beside virility, I'll change it.

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
It's worth bumping this thread to note that there's been some news regarding the Table posters.

Bah, I wish I had the money for one of the signed-art-print-edition posters. Just the thought of one of those on my wall has me giddy.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 04:48:19 AM »
I'm madly refreshing the page in hopes that a Paypal button will spawn. I've been waiting for this since December. I will obtain one!

Sadly, I'm going to bed now, so I'm sure said button will spawn when I am well asleep.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »
If you were still HoA you could force the button to appear... :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »
Should be up today. Really! Actually, it was up for about a minute yesterday afternoon as I was testing it. If anyone managed to get an order through in that time, they get the lowest number. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
From what I could make out:

Smoker has joined "Thug" in parenthesis next to the sciency name.  Sadly, Brandon has not changed "Nicro" to Booster.

Gold/Electrum and Cedmium/Bendally seem to have switched rows, as have Aluminum/Duralumin and Chromium/Nicrosil.

Nicrosil seems to have a longer entry than any except the god metals.

The Position of Atium and Larasium have been switched.

Edit: The paypal jar just came up.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »
Should be up today. Really! Actually, it was up for about a minute yesterday afternoon as I was testing it. If anyone managed to get an order through in that time, they get the lowest number. ;)

Jeez, Peter, I thought we were friends...

Eagerly waiting... Ahem.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
It is very helpful that these come out right around my birthday. And kind of ironic that I suddenly have some empty space on my wall. Almost eerie how it comes out within a week of the date I got Hero of Ages, and will be signed by the same two people . . .

It's like the fulfillment of a prophecy. I must convince the Worldbringers.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 08:46:09 PM »
Huh, the buy button seems to be gone now.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »
Huh, the buy button seems to be gone now.

Grrr ;)