Author Topic: Allomantic Symbols and Hemalurgic spikes??? (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 2988 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
Allomantic Symbols and Hemalurgic spikes??? (Possible Spoilers)
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:52:03 AM »
Ok... so, I noticed this last time I was looking at the new allomantic poster and... I don't think I'm crazy but the allomantic symbols kind of look like instructions of some kind on where to put the hemalurgic spikes in a body...

Has anyone mentioned this before? I searched the forums pretty thoroughly and couldn't find anything.
Whatever, doesn't matter.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/mb_table_v13.jpg
^^ So you can check it out quickly.

Anyone agree?
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: Allomantic Symbols and Hemalurgic spikes??? (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:16:07 AM »
I think it has been mentioned once before... Couldn't tell you where...

As for my opinion, I really couldn't say; if they were instructions, how do you interpret them? Marsh mentions there are a variety of places  you can put a spike, but they have to be exact. (HoA p. 292-3) Specifically he says "There were some two or three hundred bind points across a human's body." (292) How would you get that information from crescents, dots, and spikes?

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:16:59 AM »
The spikes are a language?

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:35:49 AM »
How would you get that information from crescents, dots, and spikes?

Crescent = Head
Dot = face

OR

crescent = body
Dot - face

??

No idea, but it seems a little too coincidental to me.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:19:17 AM »
Oh, it had definitely been mentioned.  I thought about it a while back after finishing the second book as well.  I, just like you, think there is something more behind the symbols, but I couldn't even start to reveal the secret.

The fact that they all look quite...similar...makes me think there's some sort of rhyme.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 07:03:36 AM »
Also did Brandon explain why in book 3 the allomantic symbols that were normally at the top of each chapter changed to a misty, swirly type symbol?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »
Yes, that was the alphabet going back to older font type, effectively. The symbols actually revert to older versions in each book, being the most modern in the first.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:43:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure the dots refer to it being internal/external. I've always thought that the spikes refer to hemalurgy and the rib-type things refer to feruchemy.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Loki76

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:44:21 AM »
Ok, I am quite surprised that people have not noticed this yet.  the position of the dot denotes elements from alloys.  in all elements the dot is on the outside.  for the alloys, its inside the pattern.  also on the wheel chart, the alloys are in two groups, as are the elements.  (the top 8 "normal" metals are divided into the physical and metal quarters.  the elements are on the left side of the mental quarter, while they are on the right side of the physical quarter.  the chart is well organized with patterns.  ;D

Loki

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 04:47:07 AM »
It actually is supposed to show pushing/pulling, but you are correct, since all the alloys are pushing metals, and  all the elements are pulling metals.  Dot one the outside symbolized something being pulled in, and the inside dot I believe symbolizes something about to be pushed out.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 05:45:44 AM »
We really need some kind of chart to mark this all; my small brain can simply not take note of all this information without a chart. A simple chart, might I add, cause even the poster and the Ars Arcanum just blow my mind.
-- I really wish I had a bigger brain, or a longer attention span.