Author Topic: Will your show be Canceled?  (Read 4443 times)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Will your show be Canceled?
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:07:18 AM »
If these shows have a lot of viewers, why cancel them?

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/when-will-canceled-tv-shows-leave-the-air--54
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
Re: Will your show be Canceled?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08:03 AM »
That has been a question I have been asking for a long time. I know in some cases, certain execs dislike a show personally and so they actively ruin the ratings. They will change the show's time continually, or force their own "improvements" upon it. Fox actually wanted to cancel X-Files after it's first season, but couldn't because of the viewers and investors.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:19:45 AM »
Fox is notorious for this. So many good shows canceled before they were even given a chance.

Brimstone, Space: Above and Beyond, Firefly. To just name a few.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:48:17 AM »
I was always under the impression that the execs. were the ones to approve the show in the first place.  Why approve it if you hate it?  Why should it matter if your, pulling in the ratings, getting more money from commercials?  It just sounds like bad business to me.  But what do I know, I only watch TV and sit through stupid commercials so not to miss anything.  That's one of the reasons I've started watching my shows on-line.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:54:30 AM »
Wish I still had it, but there was a great article that came out when the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica came out. Saying that current advertising is now aged and should change. All the people who downloaded season 1 early got it from the British SciFi channel, SkyOne. Their logo is constantly on the screen. Said article mentioned that it would be wise for current companies to follow SkyOne's lead and use internal advertising. Let the show run uninterrupted, but have advertising in small parts of the screen. Reach consumers without annoying their time.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:58:47 AM »
Yeah, that seems a better idea.  I've noticed that they've also started putting products into the shows themselves, as "subtle" hints as to what we should drink and what-not.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:36:32 PM »
alot of times, those "logos" on the bottom of the screen, screws up the closed captioning. The TV thinks that the logo is the main broadcast and does not display the captioning for the show.

Anyway, I am a big fan of Eli Stone, and we watched My Own Worst Enemy as well. Too bad on both shows. I was a fan of Kidnapped when it was on the air and they abruptly pulled it off withoout finishing the storyline. Very frustrating.

I just hope NBC sticks with Chuck and Heroes for at least the rest of this TV season.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »
Oooh, I LOVE Chuck!  It's one of only two shows that my husband and I watch regularly, and tape when we can't watch them.  (The other is Amazing Race.)
He ate my horse.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with Chuck. The main character is...well 'Aweomse'. But I identify with him a little too much, and thus, I can only take so much of the relationship trauma that he goes through. It is actually painful at times to watch.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »
I love Chuck, too. I watched some of My Own Worst Enemy, but it got boring. What I really love is Crusoe, but I've felt all along that it shouldn't last more than a season--that it should be like a long miniseries, where we get to see him go home again. The adventures on the island are a lot of fun, but the thing about a story like that is that you can only stretch it so far before the guy really just needs to go home. Given that Crusoe is not a Leaper, and that there seem to be plenty of ships stopping by that island, it was only a matter of time before him not getting home got ridiculous. Right now it's not--I love it--but I'm saying if they stretched it to 2 or 3 seasons it would be harder to believe.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »
Chuck is a good show. Does every one remember that FOX canceled Family Guy like three times before I really had its chance to shine. I mean I loved the show from the start and they kept taking it off the air.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 12:11:59 PM »
Anyone watching Life on Mars?  I was ticked when they (ABC?) canceled Journeyman, but this time-travel show is edgy and hilarious.  I hope they show reruns this winter... I only caught two episodes so far and I can't find old ones on the net.  Mars is extremely enjoyable for those of us who grew up in the politically-incorrect 1970's.  I will write some kind of letter one of these days to try to insure this show's success.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
Anyone watching Life on Mars?  I was ticked when they (ABC?) canceled Journeyman, but this time-travel show is edgy and hilarious.

I was also very unhappy when they canceled Journeyman. It was a fun show. I'll definitely have to check out Lif on Mars. Thanks for the info.

Oooh, I LOVE Chuck!  It's one of only two shows that my husband and I watch regularly, and tape when we can't watch them.

Chuck is AWESOME. It's one of the few shows my wife and I watch regularly too.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:29:24 PM »
They're canceling Eli Stone and Pushing Dasies?!!!

Those are some of my favorite shows. I think they have great stories and aren't just your run of the mill sex and drama tv shows. Stupid TV companies!

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »
Just started watching Daisies with the kiddos.  So much fun.  Fortunately, most old episodes are viewable on Fancast or similar sites or they can be downloaded somehow.  My sweet-sixteen did that for me today.  (Hey kids, how do you... ?)  :P