Author Topic: Governor of Illinois arrested for trying to sell Senate seat  (Read 5121 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Governor of Illinois arrested for trying to sell Senate seat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
Wow, this guy sounds like a complete loser.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
That is one unintelligent governor....Still. I think it's hilarious he tried to sell the seat. Horrible, yes. Corrupt, yes. But hilarious....And how would that work? It's the people who vote, so anyone the gov appoints wouldn't really last long enough to do a whole lot if the constituents didn't like them....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
I just heard about this from a coworker. We had a great laugh at the sheer idiocy of the guy. :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
That is one unintelligent governor....Still. I think it's hilarious he tried to sell the seat. Horrible, yes. Corrupt, yes. But hilarious....And how would that work? It's the people who vote, so anyone the gov appoints wouldn't really last long enough to do a whole lot if the constituents didn't like them....

Actually, the 17th amendment give the governor the ability to appoint someone to the senate if a sudden vacancy becomes available before the current senator's term limit ends, until an election is held for that position. I'd always assumed the person fills the role until the next election (could be wrong on this, as I have no proof), and the Illinois election JUST happened on nov. 4th (i live 20 minutes from Illinois, so i get all the news for elections from there locally), and obama resigned from the position on the 16th, so anyone who got put in now would still have a full term ahead of them.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
It's even better at the end of the article....The last governor is in prison, and this guy said he'd do better....LIES! :D

And I know about that amendment. I believe that the person would come up for re-election in the next election. A little under two years isn't time enough to do a whole lot, politically.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »
And I know about that amendment. I believe that the person would come up for re-election in the next election. A little under two years isn't time enough to do a whole lot, politically.

depends on the position, IMO. Senate, you're probably right, can't muck up too much in 2 years, though.

Honestly, I'm not surprised about this, though. He always struck me as an untrusworthy guy. (as i mentioned prior, being pretty literally right on the border between two states gets both states politics coming at my face in full force. For those wondering, I live in a suburban are just outside St. Louis, called O'fallon.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
depends on the position, IMO. Senate, you're probably right, can't muck up too much in 2 years, though.

That was what I meant. Position. I know there are political positions that holding for 2 years can do a lot (ie president, etc), but Senate really isn't one of them...especially with the Dems having the majority...

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »
It's even better at the end of the article....The last governor is in prison, and this guy said he'd do better....LIES! :D

I live in Chicago and it's quite ridiculous how corrupt the politics are out here. We are now going to have two governors heading to the big house with Ryan the first and now Blagojevich.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 06:41:48 PM »

That was what I meant....

Oh, well, sorry for the misunderstanding, then :P

....especially with the Dems having the majority...

I take it you're republican, then, since this sounds like a stab at the democrats?  Note that it doesn't really matter to me, just curious, as I'm one of the proverbial "Swing voters". I vote for whoever has the most policies I agree with, dem or rep.

I live in Chicago and it's quite ridiculous how corrupt the politics are out here. We are now going to have two governors heading to the big house with Ryan the first and now Blagojevich.

I say we just go with the old "three strikes, you're out" rule. 1 more and illinois is no longer part of the US and is it's own country! (kidding, obviously :P )
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »
When I read the title of the topic I thought it had to be some kind of joke...

In fact, I cannot believe how is it he was appointed as governor in the first place... I mean, if you want to play dirty... you don't dou it from your own phone, you buy a new one whose number nobody but you knows!

Anyways, it's a good thing he's arrested if he really wanted to get out with something like that.

By the way, thaks for the explanation in the previous posts about how the election system works. As I'm not from the US, I know very little about it.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »
I take it you're republican, then, since this sounds like a stab at the democrats?  Note that it doesn't really matter to me, just curious, as I'm one of the proverbial "Swing voters". I vote for whoever has the most policies I agree with, dem or rep.

Well, yes, I am, but that's not what I meant by that. It was just a statement of fact. Since the gov is a Democrat, he'll appoint a Senator who is a Dem, and therefore that Senator won't be able to affect a whole lot since the Dem's hold the majority....

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:58:47 PM »
Either someone was unhappy they didn't get an offer, or they were unhappy their offer was not considered. Either way, more than just this guy is a culpable person.

Just blows my mind every time I hear something like this. Seems like people are incapable of learning.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
Seems like people are incapable of learning.

I would say incapable of thinking in the first place.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
I'm from IL, and I thought we were done with this when Ryan went to prison. This is ridiculous. I don't remember Chicago politics being like this when I lived there, but then, I was just there for a little over a year and a half, and I grew up downstate. They do get down and dirty, though. I'm not sure it's much better downstate, given that the governors who have been in office for the last 10 years or more have turned out to be corrupt. (Blagojovich replaced Ryan.) No doubt they've got cronies from all over the state by now.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing