Author Topic: Dragonsteel **SPOILERS**  (Read 18603 times)

achren99

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonsteel **SPOILERS**
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 10:47:09 PM »
Vatdoro- :) Yeah, small world.  I called you Shelly's brother because I didn't want to "out" your name on this incase you didn't want it outed. 

I read Dragonsteel because my sister worked with him at BYU (Leading Edge maybe? I don't remember), and he let her borrow it to edit it (she's an editor)--and she lent it to me and my other sister to edit as well.   I read it in like day or two, and at that point I was a slow reader, was editing it and was probably in school at the time...so I really liked it. 

Maybe I'll ask Brandon and see if I can somehow get a copy, but I doubt it, and he gets like a million emails...I don't want to bother him.

Yeah, the ending was a complete surprise and I really wanted to know more...  to me this series had a lot of potential...but maybe not compared to his other ideas.  I know I'm weird and am way too caught up in "who gets together" aspect of the story, but I really wanted Jerick to get together with the Princess.  *sigh*  Oh well, I'll just appreciate it for what it is, because I doubt he'll continue it.  He has "The Way of Kings" and other projects to focus on.

I'm a little nervous about his next series, "The Way of Kings," because it's 10 books long.  I've had just about enough of that with WOT.  I love WOT, but I found Brandon's shorter stories to be very refreshing.  Some people are really excited about having a long series, but when I think about it it's just like "Ick...another LONG series."  I'll probably read it and love it, but it makes me sad to know I'll probably be  at least 15 years older before I get to the end.  15 years is scary.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »
The Iraqi guy throwing his shoes at Bush today gave me fond memories of Dragonsteel (though right now I can't remember the guy's name...I weell keell heem...).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »
Ha! That's right, I'd totally forgotten about him. The only names I can remember from the book are Jerick and Topaz. I can't even remember the girl's name. Sad.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

CSmythe

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »
This sounds like something I need to read. Sadly I live in Canada and none of the local Universities have copies of it on hand. Since I haven't been a student at any of them in a very long time it seems unlikely that they will be ablet o track it down for me.

I wonder if anyone might know how to get a copy. I, like achren99 don't want to bother Mr. Sanderson especially while he is working on Memory of Light but if anyone else has a copy and his permission to distribute it I would love to get a look at it.

p.s. first post, booyah.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
The only copy which Brandon has authorized anyone to distribute is the physical copy held by the BYU Library. Brandon is not likely to let you read it any other way because it reveals things about his universe's cosmology and contains story ideas that he now prefers the reader to encounter via his other forthcoming books such as Way of Kings.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »
Curses, my library just got back to me and it'll be a while before there's even a chance of me getting it *unpleasant noises of irritation*. From what everyone else has said I really want to read it now.
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

Ruthie

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 05:46:43 AM »
I really wanted Jerick to get together with the Princess.  *sigh* 

You did? Did you read the same book I did?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 01:14:09 AM »
Ha ha ha...yeah...what did Jerick ever see in that girl?

Well. It's been so long since I read it that I can remember very little of a lot of it.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 04:13:52 PM »
Hahaha  It's been a long time since I read it too, so I don't really remember.  I guess I thought she was young and she often was a victim of her circumstances.  I thought in later books she would develop further.  :)  Plus, I kind of have a weird imagination when it comes to romances...but I did guess all of Harry Potter's from book one.  Those weren't that hard to see, though.

I'm such a nerd, though.  Most of my favorite parts in Brandon's books are the romance parts.  *very slight spoiler for mistborn ahead*

The ball scenes were like my favorite.  I remember some people saying how they hated the balls and how long and boring they were, but I was like counting the pages until the next ball. 

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:44 AM »
My poor </3
Gonna have to enroll in BYU for a semester to read it.  Not go to class mind you, just get my hands on the book and rub it in the face of the friends I've hooked on mistborn...
Wow, a semester of college and a lock box (for after I rub it in my friends faces) is gonna be rather expensive to read a book... WORTH IT! (I just got my box of 20 Final Empires in the mail and I'm handing those out too :))
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:17:23 AM by Craysh »

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »
I just finished Dragonsteel last night. I LOVE that book. I enjoyed the story just as much as Mistborn, possibly a little bit more. Maybe it's because the main character is a guy in Dragonsteel. I enjoyed reading about Vin, but never felt a real strong connection to her.

Ookla - it is super funny that the reporter threw a shoe at Pres. Bush. Just like Bat'Chor. (I think that was his name.)

Achren - you wanted Jerick to hook up with the princess? That snot nosed little conniving mean spirited ...! My only regret is the princess didn't actually die at the end. :(

Well, here's my take on the book. I REALLY liked the first 90% of the book. I loved reading Jerick's story and how he develops as a person. I guess I'm just a sucker for the classic Hero's Journey. The last 10% of the book seemed a little bit like Brandon was trying to hurry and throw some new ideas into the book before he called it done. (The book really isn't "done" by any stretch of the imagination, but if you've read it, then you already know that.) Regardless of that, I really liked the characters and concepts that Brandon introduced in the book. I'm really looking forward to his next series (The Way of Kings). If it uses any of the concepts from Dragonsteel, I'm sure it will be awesome.

Now I want to become a Tzai Warrior!

Oh, and the last line of the book was AWESOME!

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »
I know--wasn't it AMAZING?  It was seriously one of my favorite books I've ever read, and I'm VERY sad I probably can't ever read it again.  This is also why I am so disappointed that this story isn't going to get published.  I think it's better than the published ones (even though I adore those too...)!  I know I'm very biased, but that's how I feel.

So--I look for POTENTIAL in relationships.  The princess and Jerick's relationship had potential as they both grew as characters.  The ending for the princess left her with tons of potential for growth as a character...and I played it all out in my mind.  I wanted the prince (I think he was the prince...it's been a long time--) and the light-power girl to get together too...again potential.

Yes, the last line was amazing.  I love Topaz.  :( I'm SO JEALOUS you got to read it so recently.   What were your favorite parts/aspects of the book?  I loved the whole idea of fighting over dragonsteel and Jerick's power was really cool.  And Topaz was the best...his parts were extremely entertaining.  I like the part where he's like, "All of this work to get into this secret society and now I have to kill them all because they're sickos--oh crap." (Again, it's been like...7 years or something...so if I'm a bit off, that's why).

I also agree he did just try to dump everything in the end.  I think he could have just cut all the theology out at that point and brought it up later.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »
Achren - glad I'm not the only one who loved Dragonsteel. I think the story has more potential than Mistborn, but that's just my biased opinion. (I love the originality and magic system in Mistborn, but for some reason I didn't LOVE the Mistborn world. Maybe because it was always dark, ash-covered, and depressing.) Maybe Dragonsteel's potential is why Brandon decided not to publish it, publish a quick trilogy instead (Mistborn), and then include some of the Dragonsteel concepts in a much larger epic series. (I think I've read blog posts and forum posts suggesting that's what Brandon was planning.)

I really hope at some point he publishes some books that are similar to Dragonsteel, because I would love them, and I'm sure they would be very popular.

I loved the idea of the Eternal War - and the fact that the war isn't even about what most of the people think it is about. The scenes of fighting over dragonsteel on the shattered plains are awesome!

What are some of my favorite parts? Hmmmm... Maybe this is weird, but I really liked the parts where Jerick was being educated and developing his character in the palace. It was kind of sad that Brandon had to skip ahead so much through that time, since it was almost 4 years. I guess I'm a romantic, but I enjoyed every time Ryalla and Jerick got to see each other. Every scene with Topaz is great. He's such a crazy character. From the very first time we meet him, everything he does just has to be over the top.

I thought Topaz and Bat'Chor made a great (but very unlikely) pair of adventurers. When I was reading the book I sometimes thought "ya, ya, ya ... get back to Jerick's story". Now when I think back I really did enjoy Topaz and Bat'Chor on their crazy side stories. Having Bat'Chor dress up like a pregnant bride is classic!

You wanted Ryalla to hook up with Prince Yoharn and Jerick to hook up with Princess Courteth? Interesting idea. I have to admit the thought never crossed my mind. From the very first scene where Topaz has Ryalla introduce Jerick to the palace I just assumed those two would end up together. I REALLY didn't like Courteth, but you are right. There towards the end she was having a change of heart.  You know - that would have been an interesting twist if the story kept on going. Somehow Jerick and Ryalla end up being related so they really can't get married (ends up more like a brother/sister relationship) and then Jerick does end up with Courteth and the Prince ends up with Ryalla. That would have definitely been a good plot twist. (But Courteth would definitely have had to somehow redeem all the mean things she did growing up.)

Jerick's abilities were REALLY cool, he just never really developed them. He became an awesome Tzai, but his Microkinetic abilities never developed much. That's one reason why I think Brandon might want to use an epic series to explore these concepts more. It seems like people develop their micronetic abilities pretty slowly, so it's going to take much more than one book to really get to some cool stuff.

I loved the part where Jerick finally became a leader of Bridge Four and started developing his leadership skills and the groups camaraderie. That's one thing that didn't feel right about the end; what happens to Jerick's army and Bridge Four. But I've already mentioned there are a lot of things there at the end that didn't seem like they fit.

But when I read the last line of the book my first reaction was, "huh?". Then a second after thinking about it I was like, "OHHHH!". That line would definitely be a classic if he used something similar in one of his published works.

Edited to remove explicit spoilers - Thanks Ookla
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:44:39 PM by Vatdoro »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
All the readers complained about bridge 4 at the end (you might want to remove your explicit spoiler), so Brandon said he would have them get affected by Topaz's mass effect blast. I don't know if he ended up writing a version with that though or not.

But anyway, bridge 4 and the eternal war may show up in Way of Kings, with Merin in the role of Jerick.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 10:58:09 PM »
Way of Kings may include bridge 4? That would be great! That kind of implies Way of Kings would be a rewrite (and continued story) of Dragonsteel. That would be a dream come true!

I was thinking Way of Kings might use Microkinetics (or whatever it's called) and maybe some of the world building from Dragonsteel. I wasn't thinking it might actually include the rest of the Dragonsteel story. Wow!

Now I don't know what I'm more excited for. AMOL or Way of Kings?  :o

Ookla - I always enjoy your well informed tidbits of information in these forums. And thanks for the tip about the explicit spoiler. It's been removed.