Author Topic: Prince of Persia  (Read 7081 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Prince of Persia
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »
Has anyone gotten the new prince game?  I got it on Wednesday, and it's so much freaking fun.  I'd definitely recommend it for any platformer, action adventure, or Prince fan. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Persia
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:33:38 PM »
Im goiong to have to pick it up. The prince games are always fun.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
I am playing through it. Enjoying it very much. Feels very cinematic. A lot of people are complaining that the Prince this time makes a bad main character, but he isn't the main character of the story, Elika is. It reminds me very much of Kurosawa in a way. Taking this epic story with these fantastical characters, and we see it all through the eyes of one of the side characters who just gets yanked along.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:30:36 AM »
I am playing through it. Enjoying it very much. Feels very cinematic. A lot of people are complaining that the Prince this time makes a bad main character, but he isn't the main character of the story, Elika is. It reminds me very much of Kurosawa in a way. Taking this epic story with these fantastical characters, and we see it all through the eyes of one of the side characters who just gets yanked along.

Yeah, I actually really like that fact.  I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm about to go and rock through a good chunk of it. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:23:52 AM »
I haven't played a Prince of Persia game since the original. Still have nightmares of looking through the instruction manual just to find some clue to allow me to advance in the stage.  >:(

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:10:28 AM »
Once Ubisoft took over everything got so much better. Just say yay for French-Canadians.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
Okay, so the gameplay and the story are amazingtastic (I think I stole a word from miyabi there), but the fetch questing is getting a little annoying. I am not sure if my insanity will fall deeper if I try to get all those dumb light seeds...all 1001 of them.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
I haven't played a Prince of Persia game since the original. Still have nightmares of looking through the instruction manual just to find some clue to allow me to advance in the stage.  >:(

Hahaha.  Like Mr Discount said, UBI Montreal is doing a great job this go around.  I have only encountered a few difficult parts where I 'died' about seventy times in a row trying to do a long set of acrobatics.  The game is no longer spam till your finger falls off.  There is so much timing involved.  It's awesome!

Okay, so the gameplay and the story are amazingtastic (I think I stole a word from miyabi there), but the fetch questing is getting a little annoying. I am not sure if my insanity will fall deeper if I try to get all those dumb light seeds...all 1001 of them.

I have about half of them now, and my head already hurts.  :P
-Legacy of Kain

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »
Hmmm perhaps I may have to check it out. I'm sure someone I know has a copy.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »
Haven't played the new one yet (in the mail currently) but Sands of Time for the PS2 is one of the best games I've ever played.  The last time a game wowed me that much was the original Tomb Raider, which is a cheesy series now but when the first one came out in the mid 90's there had never been anything like it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
I never played any of the Tomb Raider games all the way through. I tried to  for a short time, but could never get into it. I guess my hormones never overrode my gaming senses =).

SoT was one of the best games I was able to play. Great gaming styles. And a story that actually weaved with the game. It was so sad that the sequels did not bring that same feeling along.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »
The main reasons the sequals to SoT weren't up to snuff was the guy who owns the IP wrote the SoT script (as well as the new PoP and is the guy who coded the original game) and he didn't have any involvement in the sequals.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 01:23:22 AM »
*shakes his prune juice at the young whippersnappers*

Back in my day, we just had Prince of Persia on an Apple II, with a monochrome monitor, and we liked it!

Ah the memories.

I also played the sequel on the PC about 13 years ago.  It's amazing where gaming has gone since then!

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
The main reasons the sequals to SoT weren't up to snuff was the guy who owns the IP wrote the SoT script (as well as the new PoP and is the guy who coded the original game) and he didn't have any involvement in the sequals.

Ohh.  Well, that's good news.  Do you know if the original guy is writing the other two parts of this trilogy as well? 

BTW, you gotten the game yet Sprig?
-Legacy of Kain

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 07:07:36 PM »
I got my Platinum trophy last night =). Overall , I am really glad I picked up this game. It pushed itself back to the storytelling and engrossing world that SoT had. I also enjoyed the cell-shading. It gave it a nice touch to further distance itself from SoT and it fit with the world. I had a great time with the characters and the open-worldness. I only realized on my second play through that is was rather open and choice bound. The different bosses you face add obstacles that only appear after you face them. Each section has the potential for a lot of traps, making the difficulty of certain areas dependent on where you have been before.

I was a little miffed by the ending though. I saw some of it coming, but I think I was trying to blind myself because I was hoping they weren't going to do what they did. It felt a little trite. Maybe we are simply getting to what the rest of the tale he wanted to tell was and this is the only way to do it. Not sure where they are going,  but I really hope they do something because I honestly enjoyed the entire game immensely, minus the last 3 minutes...