Poll

Which idea should we use?

submit once monthly, half the group on the 1st of a month, and half the group on the 15th
Wilson's idea wherein we have different submission cycles for each "group" that feels they can only submit weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, whatever.
Avalon's idea is that we have people "apply" to submit by Thursday of a given week, to send out on that Saturday.
Chaos suggested we have "submission points"; we each get three a month and can use as many as one or all three each month. If we don't use our points, they carry over into the next month.
M suggested we split the group into two: people who feel they can submit and critique weekly and people who feel they can only do so monthly (or whenever).

Author Topic: What would you like to do?  (Read 8935 times)

Frog

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
Re: What would you like to do?
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2008, 03:54:04 AM »
Yeah, Monday may make more since once we set the routine, but I kind of feel like we already missed a week since nothing was submitted today. And most everyone else seemed to be saying Sat....
Oh, well whatever works and keeps people smiling would be good with me. And yes, I too have been pleased with RE so far. Much better than another writing group I was in, but that is another long boring story no one needs to hear.
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2008, 03:56:52 AM »
I believe what he meant by polish was to give your work a rudimentary editing pass for spelling and grammar. I'm here to critique the story telling, not someone's basic English skills.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
Oh, I agree.  That's the one thing I hope to get out of the group.  After a basic spell check though, I'm working on the last third of the book.  I'll go back later and get most of the big grammar mistakes on my 2nd draft.  I'll continue until I have it looking the way I want it. 

I wasn't trying to imply that it would be a waste of time, only that I (personally) don't want to get bogged down on only one section.  I have to keep going or lose momentum.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 04:31:48 AM »
I believe what he meant by polish was to give your work a rudimentary editing pass for spelling and grammar. I'm here to critique the story telling, not someone's basic English skills.

Or, you know, revising that section of work that I wrote half sleep-deprived on a plane. Things like that probably deserve a second, if only cursory, look-over.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Karl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 07:21:04 AM »
I wasn't trying to imply that it would be a waste of time, only that I (personally) don't want to get bogged down on only one section.  I have to keep going or lose momentum.

Agreed. Since I suffer from chronic entropy, I understand. A story that is in motion tends to stay in motion. And a storyteller at rest tends to get woken up by the cat anyway.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »
Damned cats...

Authors don't make spelling mistakes, cats boot up our computers in the midst of the night (or day, for us nocturnal folk) and sprinkle them in for the sheer sake of chaos! It is time for us as writers to rise up and commit felinocide!
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Karl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Does Chaos really need cats help for his sake?

Besides, I really like cats... I just can never eat a whole one and have to take most of it home in a doggy bag.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
I feel I must correct something here.

Agreed. Since I suffer from chronic entropy, I understand. A story that is in motion tends to stay in motion. And a storyteller at rest tends to get woken up by the cat anyway.

I want to meet this cat. :P

Damned cats...

Authors don't make spelling mistakes, cats boot up our computers in the midst of the night (or day, for us nocturnal folk) and sprinkle them in for the sheer sake of chaos! It is time for us as writers to rise up and commit felinocide!

...but not if it is this cat. You see, Avalon talks of the demon known only as "Shiro Tagachi". He's the dude that is responsible for your internet dying at random points for no apparent reason, and he is responsible for making you create typos or otherwise make your writing unintelligible. Also, he is the guy who makes your cell phone lose calls.

He is trying to control the weather right now, as all of this snow in various parts of the country makes internet connections and other communication more spotty. It is his evil plan. He is growing stronger.

And apparently, he has a cat form now. We must all be very afraid. Not even Karl and his cat-eating habits can defeat Shiro!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »
Is he related to the terrifying kittens in the Alcatraz books?
He ate my horse.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
I don't think so. This cat form seems to be a new development upon Shiro's part.

Karl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
Not even Karl and his cat-eating habits can defeat Shiro!

I'm just trying to grock Shiro's essence.

And it's not a habit. I can quit any time I want!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
I don't think any of us can fight Shiro. He commands all the dialup modems in the world and makes them so horrible. We can't stand up to that kind of demonic energy.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2008, 12:07:05 AM »
Ah! My hatred for cats is now explained! So they don't just invade my yard, but they also infect my beautiful manuscript.....Curse them.

Actually, I'll do better than curse them. I will take my neighbor's evil, evil cat (or rather, one of them, since she has many) that I swear is one of Shiro's incarnations, douse it in gasoline, and throw it off the bridge. At night. And I will watch as it falls 500 feet, and I will hope that the cops will NOT find me, and also that I will be able to see the cat light up in flames.....Yes. This sounds like a plan.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2008, 12:12:51 AM »
And here I was thinking y'all were talking about Schrödinger's cat. :-\
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »
I don't know about Schroedinger's cat, but I definitely want Schroedinger's Urinal - where you're both peeing, and not peeing at the same time. On the subject of modems and loss of connections, Schroedinger's Modem? BOM BOM BOM!
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.