Author Topic: How do you feel about bi-MONTHly submissions? - please read  (Read 8296 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: How do you feel about bi-weekly submissions? - please read
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 02:35:43 AM »
Sweet. I get the prize for the *prettiest* example. Score one for the good guys!

And I love the term 'facepalm.' It brings with it a beautiful visual image that makes me crack up EVERY time I see the word....Classic. Simply classic.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about bi-MONTHly submissions? - please read
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 02:43:47 AM »
Mine had a colorful calendar though! With dots and lines and a wavy stylized '2009' in the background! It was even the relevant month!

Office fangirls...
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 03:13:31 AM »
Do we need to have guide-lines or dead-lines for getting reviews in by a certain date?
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 03:18:30 AM »
Avalon, you hadn't posted your diagram when I said that, so you snooze, you lose. Besides, we seem to be adopting your idea. :P

I still think we should forget about deadlines for actual reviews at the moment. I say we stick with the "as much as you can, as soon as you can" and see what happens. If we find there's a problem we'll work something out as we go.

Because if we have people submitting as often as they might be under this idea, we might be doing a LOT more reading.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 03:43:13 AM »
I am twenty chapters into my story, I can submit any time.  ;D
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 04:06:23 AM »
As Avalon said, we'll have to do some juggling to make sure everyone who hasn't submitted in a while gets priority, so you guys may not get to submit every time. I'm sure you'll be able to get stuff out faster though.

I hope everyone writing novels doesn't inadvertently end up getting the shaft. My concern with this plan is that people won't be able to keep up reading for people who CAN submit a novel chapter every week, and that you guys might get fewer critiques because of it.

Ah, well - no plan is perfect. I guess we'll just have to burn that bridge when we get there.

What?

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 04:09:58 AM »
As Avalon said, we'll have to do some juggling to make sure everyone who hasn't submitted in a while gets priority, so you guys may not get to submit every time. I'm sure you'll be able to get stuff out faster though.

I hope everyone writing novels doesn't inadvertently end up getting the shaft. My concern with this plan is that people won't be able to keep up reading for people who CAN submit a novel chapter every week, and that you guys might get fewer critiques because of it.

Ah, well - no plan is perfect. I guess we'll just have to burn that bridge when we get there.

What?

I think you mean cross.  :-X
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 05:44:07 AM »
Don't criticize her word-fumbling, she's a bit grumpy tonight :P
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 05:45:53 AM »
Okay, first of all, let me apologize for my complete lack of activity these past few days. I've been very, very busy. After finals roll around, I will finally get to doing some critiques. It is on my list of priorities, don't worry :P

Reading this thread, though, I came up with a potential solution, one that would simplify the matter of more people submit, and balancing out things so people who don't submit as much will still get critiques.

In fact, the system would do away with official submission dates. I'm not sure if I like that, because I really do like submission dates for their structure. On the other hand, it's not quite organic.

So, here is my idea: for each month, you get three Submission Points. Each time you submit something, you lose a point. Therefore, people who want to submit more can submit more: they can submit three times a month. For people who don't submit as much, these Points will roll over into the next month, so if they have the ability to get more writing done in the future, they can submit more things, because they have more points.

The real difficulty with the implementation is keeping track of the points. However, I think someone suggested that we keep track of how many things people have submitted and critiqued, as a sort of ranking measure. If we started keeping track of those two things, then it isn't extraordinarily difficult to keep track of the submission points.

It's an idea.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 05:54:41 AM »
"Stand back folks! He's an actuarial! He's got statistics and he knows how to use them!!!"

Though I don't have a solution to this quandary, it seems that each system proposed so far is rather complicated.

Who will tend the rotating charts? Who will track the monthly submission points? Who is mapping the dungeon and logging the treasure?!?

Keep it simple folks. Please.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
I'll be cartographer, but I don't think I have enough ranks in dungeoneering to get down some of the more complicated features.

*Evil grin*

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 06:18:34 AM »
Grumpy? Avalon's saying stuff about me behind my back now!

Besides, wouldn't you need ranks in cartography to be a cartographer? Or is there something I don't know about the dungeoneering skill? ::)

Chaos, if I recall, people actually requested deadlines because they felt a specific deadline would help them actually get motivated to write. I seem to recall suggesting a somewhat more nebulous system and getting shot down :P

For the record, burning bridges is way more fun than crossing them. You get a pretty light show!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 06:26:14 AM »
Tsk, tsk. How could you do that, Avalon? Haven't you ever heard that gossip is bad? And that it ALWAYS gets back to the person?.....You really shouldn't do it on a forum :P

And Raethe, I believe that IS why we decided on specific deadlines....hmm. And Chaos's idea had so much merit...kind of....Actually I just kind of hoped we'd go for that, so then Avalon wouldn't get ANY prize, since he already lost the *prettiest example* prize... :D Methinks I'm kind of mean. And yet he called me a fangirl...If there was a shaking head emoticon I'd use it.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about bi-weekly submissions? - please read
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 08:35:34 AM »
Well, I think if we did the 3 group thing, we'd be splitting up the groups, once we know where everyone's at.

For example, let's say we've got 4 monthly submitters (Jim, Andy, Dwight, and Michael), 4 bi-weekly submitters (Angela, Pam, Phyllis, and Kelly), and 4 bi-weekly skipping submitters (Ryan, Stanley, Creed, and Toby). The submissions would go something like so:

1--Jim, Pam, Angela, Ryan, Stanley
8--Andy, Phyllis, Kelly, Creed, Toby
15--Dwight, Angela, Pam, Ryan, Stanley
23--Michael, Phyllis, Kelly, Creed, Toby

Or something like that....

Bonus points: The names are from....?

So, this Office reference pretty much earned you 10 cool points, in my book.

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
Word fumbling usually means tired in Raethe-land...... Oh, and she likes burning things.

I like the as much as you can as soon as you can.... and I think I read someone say you have a week in a month, and write against that date when you want to submit? So long as it's at least once a month? That's a good idea too o.o

"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!