Poll

What's the highest level of Education you've completed?

Pre-Secondary
Secondary (High School/GCSE's/A-Levels, etc.)
Associate's/Technical Degree
Bachelor's Degree
Master's Degree or equivalent
Doctorate (PhD/MD/JD, etc.)
Post-doctorate

Author Topic: Education?  (Read 12103 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Education?
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:13:19 AM »
We know there are lots of educated folks lurking out there.  Here's a chance to get some idea.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Education?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:18 AM »
What about a GED?
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:39:57 AM »
...a what?

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:44:15 AM »
General Education Diploma.

What you can get if you get kicked/drop out.

Supposed to be equivalent to a high school diploma.

I have a GED, I am also a trained technician.  With the few collage courses I have on top of the program I'm in, qualifies me to have a bachelors.  (They had me take a test of real world experience and that counted to collage credits)  I have also continued my own education through my wife's collage books.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:50:01 AM by Necrobells will be ringing »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:05:07 AM »
I also have only a GED. Dropped out of college because I already knew all there was to learn. Spent the next 10 years learning how wrong I was. Now I am a computer engineer. Of course, all of my combined knowledge would actually qualify me for a bachelor's or better. I never did well in format education, I learn better at my own pace.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »
Mmkay.

I've only completed high school but I'll be finishing up my bachelor's degree next year. I could have done it this year if I'd really pushed, but I figured it wasn't worth it. Might as well spend the time, do what I'm doing well (at least... as well as I do anything...) and enjoy it, yes?

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »
I only finished high school. Haven't gone to college yet, waiting until the G.I. Bill gets another bump up in money given before I go. That and I still can't decide what I want to go for.  :D

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »
Got a Bachelor's in Linguisitcs and Psychology. Currently trying to figure out where I want to go for the next level of learning. Very likely getting a Master's in Computational Linguistics, but need to get programming back under my belt. Have not looked or touched anythign in a while unfortunately.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
Got an associates of software engineering here, finished college at the age of 20, and have been in the field ever since. Someday I would like to go back and get something higher, when i get the time.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »
I have two bachelor degrees from BYU: a BA in Political Science and a BS in Economics. I then went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison for my Law degree (J.D.). After clerking for a year,  I went to the University of Denver for my Masters of Law (LL.M.) in Taxation.  I love school very much and I wish I could continue with school, but my wife says no.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:40:11 AM by The Lost One »
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »
Bachelor's Degree from the University of Maryland in Geographic Information Science and Computer Cartography (with a minor in Spanish) I also have the equivalent of an Associate's Degree in Electrical Engineering as I did 6 years of that before deciding that I liked GIS better.....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »
I graduated from a technical college with an associates in automotive technology. I have worked at a dealership for just under ten years and have received training at G.M. service technical college.  I'm not sure if the G.M. training counts as formal education but i have spent literally hundreds of hours in the classroom and doing hands on training and testing. i also received world class technician status because of my training and testing. So while i would not consider myself an intellectual i have had lots of classroom time.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 04:21:41 AM »
I tried to do a double major of physics and English at BYU.  That went well until I came home from my mission and attempted the 400 level physics classes.  So I graduated with an English major and minors in math and physics.  When my kids are all in school I'm going to go back and get that physics degree.  I'll have to start all over though.  After two years the calculus was rusty, now it will be more like twenty years and the calculus will be nonexistent.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »
I have a bachelor's degree in Humanities with an Art History emphasis and an English minor.  I got it at BYU where you had to have an emphasis and either a minor or an area of concentrated study.  It was kind of funny, because I had taken some creative writing classes and a sf&f lit class of my own free will, so I actually only had to take one more class to get the minor.  I loved humanities at BYU. I wish I could go back and get another humanities degree there, but not a masters. I doubt I'll ever go back for more formal education, but maybe when my kids are grown up I'll manage it.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »
I'm a two semesters away from having my BA in Psychology, with a specialization in Film Studies (which, for anyone who doesn't know, is actually an English specialization) from Michigan State University.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!