Author Topic: Wikipedia--HoA spoilers  (Read 1680 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Wikipedia--HoA spoilers
« on: November 29, 2008, 06:00:44 AM »
I'm bored, and I was randomly looking at Mistborn-related stuff on Wikipedia. Reading through some of the descriptions, I've seen a few errors, corrected a few myself, and then I came across one that I know is wrong, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about correcting it. Perhaps some of you can help me out.

The link to the specific page is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

My question is about the description under Ruin, specifically this part of it:

Perhaps the worst of Ruin's powers is that he strengthens the Mist so it can come out during the day and also he can make it kill people.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong (but I don't think I am), Ruin never had control of the mist. The mists were of Preservation. The mist spirit was Preservation. So Ruin didn't strengthen the mists, and he didn't make them kill people, right? Preservation caused the mist-sickness, causing a few people to die, to make more people Allomancers. Correct?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia--HoA spoilers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:12:37 AM »
Ruin doess control the mist to make them come out.  This is said in one of the ephagraphs.  However, you are right about pres causing mist sickness and all of that.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:16:19 AM »
Ah, so I had half of it right....*shrugs* I knew I was at least right about the killing people, and that seemed to be the more drastic of the two....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »
I have a related question to the mists.

What was the Deepness?

In book two the characters were talking like it was the mists. Then in book three I don't think they ever mentioned it again. What was it?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
It was the mists. So saith Brandon.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:44 PM »
there's also an error under "well of ascension"

Well of Ascension
The Well of Ascension fills with liquid every 1,000 years. The person who enters the Well absorbs the liquid and is temporarily granted god-like power. The Lord-Ruler did so and completely reshaped the world as well as created at least 2 races. It's also possible that he created Allomancy and Hemalurgy, as these were unknown prior to that time.

[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:24:05 AM »
Yeah I saw that, too. That's not too big of an error, because the two weren't known prior to that time...The only thing is TLR didn't create them. The power he got through the WoA made him understand Allomancy and and what the beads of Larasium would do, and I think it's also the power that made him understand Hemalurgy, but that one I'm less sure about....Sazed probably said something about it in the epigraphs but I don't remember.

Regardless, it definitely should be fixed....Ideally, all the errors should be fixed. And the information given on the pages should be lengthened. There's really not a whole lot of info to be found on there, particularly on HoA. There was barely anything on that page, until I created the characters section, and even that's not very in depth...

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:51:18 PM »
Yeah, I know before HoA it was the current theory, as I think a few characters talked about it in TWA, didn't they?

And you're right. It was clarified in the epigraphs by sazed, i'm like 99.99% sure of it. (always that fraction of a doubt :P )
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it was implied in HoA that Ruin allowed the knowledge of Hemalurgy to slip into TLR, therefore allowing TLR to create minions for Ruin's use once it escaped.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"