Author Topic: Warbreaker: Read now or wait?  (Read 2570 times)

taggart6

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Warbreaker: Read now or wait?
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:36:31 AM »
Howdy All,

I just got done with the mistborn series, and I'm considering reading Warbreaker.  However, part of me wants to wait until the final draft is complete.    IIRC, the story is still in revision so I'd have to wait.

Should I read it now?

Suggestions?

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Read now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »
Why not? I mean if you don't like it then you won't have to read it later but if you do like it the you could always read it again. Where do you loose?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:36:42 AM »
I say read it now. It really doesn't hurt anything. I read version 4.2 and it was fantastic. From what I've seen of 6, it's even better....In the condition it's in right now, I like it almost as much as I like Mistborn (which I absolutely LOVE!).

I see why you might not want to read it now, though. I don't think the story will change considerably between what it is now and what it will be in June, so you might just want to experience it for the first time in bound print, as opposed to on a computer screen....I don't have that choice anymore, but that's all right. I'm a very impatient person, and I'm really glad I got to read it when I'm totally hyped up on Brandon's genius-ness....Not that I won't be when it comes out, because I'm sure I will be, but....yeah.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:18:24 AM »
It's really up to you.

I started reading it, but am taking my time. It's more of a guilty pleasure right now than anything else.  ;)

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:32:50 AM »
With Christmas break coming up, I've been tempted. But I really don't like reading on the computer screen for extended periods of time. It's just not as comfortable and not the same experience as the bound novel. Besides, it's a good lesson in patience for a very impatient person.  ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »
I am with Pygmalion on this one. Reading on a computer screen ruins the flavor of reading a physical novel. Call me a geek who loves low-tech things, but books will never cease to have charm no matter what media hounds keep saying.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

taggart6

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »
Two of my biggest reason for waiting are 1) Having to read on a screen which hurts my eyes after a while, and 2) having to wait for chapters since it looks like the book is still being written.

I'm a bit of a fast reader so I think I would get antsy about having to wait.   I think I'll wait and just focus on getting through the Elric series for right now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:04:53 AM by taggart6 »

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
I read version 4.2 online, and loved it.  I don't have a problem reading a book on a computer screen.  Of course, my job requires me to sit in front of one all day.  But I'm a big fan of printed books too.  I don't think they'll ever go away.

As far as your reason 2, I think the latest version (6, if I remember correctly) is the final draft aside from the copy edit.  So I doubt there will be much in the way of new chapters.  Can't do much about your first reason, though. :)

DrakeSparda

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 09:00:02 PM »
Actually, the book is completely written.  It is just going through edits.  So you can read a full copy when you download it.  I personally do not mind reading on the computer since I read manga and such on the screen all the time and the years of video games my eyes have adjusted, but that could just be me. 

I'd recommend reading it, either now or then.  It is really up to your preference.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 10:24:49 PM »
I couldn't read it on the computer so I printed it at work. double sided and double pages on each side just like a bound novel. Then I punched holes in the middle and threaded it with yarn and folded it and put it under some big books for like three days. I know its a little involved and not quite the same as the real thing but it passed the time at work doing it and it was easier to lie down and read like I really enjoy doing.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »
I couldn't read it on the computer so I printed it at work. double sided and double pages on each side just like a bound novel. Then I punched holes in the middle and threaded it with yarn and folded it and put it under some big books for like three days. I know its a little involved and not quite the same as the real thing but it passed the time at work doing it and it was easier to lie down and read like I really enjoy doing.

Great idea, I may have to look into doing this so I can get my friends to read it.  They, like some members here, refuse to read a book off a computer screen. 

By the way, I say read it if you can.  I read it at a slower pace to save my eyes the trouble, and I think I ended up enjoying the book a little more because I devoured it over a longer period of time.  It gave me more time to ponder what was going on.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 02:29:36 AM »
Read it now =]
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 03:49:49 AM »
IIRC the latest version only has a couple typos and spelling errors (problems that aren't typos, just words that Brandon doesn't know how to spell  ;)).  It's really really really really good though.  So just read it now if you can.

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
If you're looking for something good to read and you don't mind reading it on the computer, I say go for it.  What better way to spend the Christmas break? ;)   The revisions don't really change the main storyline anyway.  Then go buy it when it comes out and enjoy it all over again!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas