Author Topic: Welcome to Reading Excuses (New readers please read)  (Read 3493 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Welcome to Reading Excuses (New readers please read)
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »
So, on the Time-Waster Guide forums, there is one for "Writing Group" and then this "Reading Excuses" thing, which has in its description "An online Writing Group thingy for fans of Writing Excuses". Are you confused why there would be two writing group-styled forums here? Well, I can see how you are confused! It's not exactly clear what Reading Excuses is from the front page.

Fear not, for I shall explain!

The forum "Reading Excuses" has its origins on the Writing Excuses comment threads over at www.writingexcuses.com. In Season 2, Episode 5 - Writing Groups, several avid listeners wanted to set up their own writing group so they could critique their stuff. Thus, Reading Excuses was created as a place where fellow writers could meet up.

What Reading Excuses Is (and what it's not)

It's a writing group! You submit stuff, and other people give you constructive feedback on your work so you can become a better writer. Currently we have a monthly deadline for pieces, so if you are currently working on a novel, you submit a chapter every month. You can choose to either submit on the 1st of the month or the 15th.

I use "novel" as an example of what you can submit, but it's not like you have to submit a novel or anything. Short stories work just as well. Really, we are open to everything.

It's important to know that Reading Excuses isn't a place to talk about the Writing Excuses podcast. Those types of threads should go in the Writing Group forum.

Who can join the writing group on Reading Excuses?

Anyone who wants to! Though, you have to remember that this is mostly genre fiction stuff--mostly fantasy. But we are open to everyone who wants to write and critique. The more the merrier.

How do I get in on all the hot, steamy writing-critiquing action?

Well, first, you'd need to place your email on the Email List topic. As it stands now, the way you submit your stuff is just by sending your work to everyone on the email list. That means you do not actually post your writings on this forum--which can be pretty dangerous to do. So, email.

Here are some other topics I'd recommend you take a look at:

The Rules of Reading Excuses. In simple terms, if you submit something, you are expected to critique one other work at the VERY minimum. We understand how busy life can get, but we highly encourage you to take some time out and critique as much as you can--we really appreciate your opinion and any assistance you can provide. The Rules topic goes into greater detail about this, and all the other rules.

Genre! In this topic, your fellow RE members tell about what genre they write.

Your Background. Tell us a little about yourself in this topic.

Wait, so if I submit a work, that means I'm writing, not reading. Why is it called Reading Excuses, then?

Because it sounds cooler this way. Besides, you read other people's stuff :P Other than that, it's called Reading Excuses certainly not to pay homage to a certain podcast. That would just be like a blatant rip-off...

So, welcome to Reading Excuses (which may be abbreviated to RE sometimes)! We look forward to reading your works and hearing what you have to say about ours!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to Reading Excuses (New readers please read)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:09:19 AM »
This thread is going to be buried. Raethe et Chaos, you need to talk to another mod/admin about it, or see to getting your status fully changed to mod.  The fun is about to hit the fan ^^
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »
I know, I PMed Fell a few days, yet nothing has changed. He could just be busy, though.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »
I imagine he is. That copy edit don't sound like much fun.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:29:40 AM »
This looks like a ton of fun. Can't wait to get started.
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:48 AM »
You are moderators for this board, thought you should only have a few things that can be done.

All of the sticky and lock controls are at the bottom of a thread, in the left hand corner.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:34:55 AM »
Thanks Sprigg.

Unfortunately the only options I see at the bottom left are the "go to top" option for the thread, and the on the righthand side all the normal ones - print, mark as read, etcetera.

I tried checking the drop down menu too (some forums hide their options in weird places) but don't seem to be having much luck.

(Ten bucks says as soon as I post this I'll see what Sprigg was talking about. But since Chaos was having problems too, I'll know I wasn't alone in my moronic tendencies...)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:48:51 AM »
No, Raethe, I'm having the exact same problems. There are no moderation options at all.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »
This is going to get buried with the second set of submissions.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:16:16 AM »
They should have mod privileges to this board now, if not then there's some cosmic force out there preventing it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »
They should have mod privileges to this board now, if not then there's some cosmic force out there preventing it.

EUREKA! It finally worked!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »
Got it! Take THAT, cosmic forces!

Thanks Sprigg. :D