Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 87584 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Your Background
« Reply #360 on: December 28, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »
Speak for yourself. I'm hungry.

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »
Hey, another Loganite (Loganian? Logander?). Enjoying the cold weather? I'm up here too. Welcome to the group.
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #362 on: January 01, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
Thanks. And no, I rarely enjoy the cold weather :P Wow, I always seem to run into people that live in the same town as me on the web. The entire world must be staling me   :-\
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 02, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »
My name is Marijn (you can call me Asmodemon or Marijn, I don’t mind which). I’m 26 years old and I’m a developer of Serious Games in the Netherlands.

I started writing around when I was twelve or so, with a story that was a cross between the games “Secret of Mana” and “Illusion of Time”. Then I stopped for a few years and I can’t, for the life of me, remember why.

When I started again I wrote mostly fanfiction, which I found to be a great opportunity to practice. That’s until I found the limitations of working in another’s playground to be chafing, so now my focus has shifted to writing original fiction in my own worlds. 

I am currently editing my YA fantasy novel “The Citadel of Thorns” and plotting/world-building my next fantasy novel.

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2010, 02:43:38 AM »
Welcome :D
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Asmodemon

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2010, 03:57:43 PM »
Thank you :)

dead_possum

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Mud Dauber
« Reply #366 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
Hi, all.

Guess I'll just jump right in.

I grew up in Phoenix.

During my fourth year of medical school I found myself bored looking over the shoulder of a radiologist as he read study after study in a dark room.  I found my mind wandering to the future of medicine and suddenly something clicked.  I came up with a story idea about an interventional radiologist in the not-too-distant future who stumbles onto the schemes of a killer that uses cutting-edge technology to dispose of victims in ways that mimic medical conditions.  I obsessed about it until I had finished the rough draft about a year later.  Then I revised it a few times and sent out a couple of to-be-rejected query letters.  Getting into med school is a lot easier than publishing a novel.

Querying isn't as fun as writing, so while I was getting rejected I wrote another novel, a middle-grade space sci-fi story about a kid who doesn't realize that he's the weapon his captors plan to use on their suicide mission to their enemy's home planet.  I actually got a request for a partial on that one, so that was exciting.

Right now I'm in my last year of residency and I'm drafting another story.  The hard thing for me is balancing my family (wife+4 kiddos), work, and hobby time with what can at times be a pretty demanding schedule (I've had to put writing on hold for months at times).  The good news is that I've trained in emergency medicine, and ER docs average less than 40 hours a week.

My interests are pretty eclectic.  The last few books I've read are State of Fear, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and the first two of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books (which actually led me to this site).  Yeah, I'm kind of all over the place like that.

So that's me.  Since you asked.  Or did you?
That which does not kill you only makes you stronger . . . or just leaves you permanently disabled.

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2010, 07:40:51 AM »
Very cool. Welcome :D

Argas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
I'm a full time student at UBC in Canada, majoring in history at the moment.

I started writing in 13 and started doing narrative fiction around the age of 15. I've gotten trapped in worldbuilding quite a few times. Though I've written various things past ten pages, I've never managed to stay interested or motivated enough to take them further. The podcast Writing Excuses has been very useful to me.

Currently I'm writing a fantasy story about a judge of the gods who has returned to the place he was raised, only to uncover a conspiracy that is outside his jurisdiction.

I look forward to reading everyone's works.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
Wait, are you at UBC Van or UBC Okanagan? I attend the latter.

Anyway, welcome to you (and everyone else who I haven't acknowledged on this thread yet).

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »
Welcome Argas :D

Argas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
I'm at UBC Van.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
Good stuff. =) (Though it would've been too funny if we'd attended the same campus.)

MKDV

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 22, 2010, 03:01:03 AM »
Hi. My name is Mary. I'm 25. I live in Atlanta. I recently graduated from the University of Michigan with an honors thesis in creative writing. My thesis was a book of poetry, though--it's been a while since I've tried to put so many words on a page. I'm working on my first book, a fantasy about a young man who gets recruited into a secret order of guardians who protect the world. I decided to join the workshop because I wrote about 25,000 words then lost confidence and hit a wall. I think I need a fresh eye. And I've been through a bunch of workshop courses, so hopefully I can be of help to someone too!

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #374 on: January 22, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
Welcome!  Do you like your fresh eyes with salt, pepper, or both?  Sauteed or flame kissed?  Skewered or . . . oh I'll shut up now.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot