Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 87710 times)

Writerainge

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Women who behave rarely make history. ~ Unknown
    • View Profile
Re: Your Background
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2009, 11:57:31 PM »
Thank you all!  I have tried to be present today and already have many stories to whittle away the hours in my inbox.  Good stuff.

There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness. ~Dali Lama

PW

« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »
My name is Clay but I post as PW.  I am new to the forums.  Avid reader, occasional writer (when my muse is kind) though I am trying to work more consistently on my stuff.  Write now (ha ha, puns are fun) I am working on a comedy/tragedy/action adventure set in a fantasy world in third-omnicient.  I thought of the project as a short story, but right now the plot is running headlong through the forest, trampling everything in its path.  I will have to wait until it gets winded and stops to catch its breath before I am certain.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2009, 11:24:27 PM »
Welcome!  Always nice to have new readers, 'cause that means new feedback!  Plus, we might eventually get to read your stuff, too.  Just try not to get overwhelmed!
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
Welcome to you both.

Writerainge

• Level 2
  • Women who behave rarely make history. ~ Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2009, 06:53:45 AM »
WELCOME!
There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness. ~Dali Lama

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »
I am SomeHackWriter.  You can call me Hack.  I escaped from my mother's womb 4 weeks early, and I've been trying like hell to get back inside one ever since.  The great tragedy of my life is that my tendency to stick my foot in my own mouth and my terrible since of direction make my task nearly impossible.  I spend my evenings in a drunken stupor, chain smoking, cursing little old ladies, threatening puppies, and generally being a public nuisance.  Occasionally I write my incoherent ramblings down on scraps of paper.  If I can find any of it the next morning, I might post some of it.  But you won't like it. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:06:14 AM by SomeHackWriter »

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #291 on: June 10, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »

So, what you're saying, is you've got the writer thing down then.

Awesome.

:P

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 11, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »
I want to read PW's book/story.  Not so sure about the Hack, though.  You're going to have to woo me, baby, if you really care.

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »
Mine still needs a lot of work.  I'll let you know when it's ready.

Stormcryst

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2009, 02:48:28 AM »
  Hello my name is Mickey. I'm 31 with a wife and two daughters that take up most of my time. I have been tinkering with an epic fantasy novel or two for the last ten years but have decided it is time to get serious. So I threw out those ideas for now and about three months ago started something new. I am still trying to establish the work ethic but for the first time I am within striking distance of finishing something.  I had an odd chain of events that lead me here. Robert Jordan to Brandon Sanderson to Writing Excuses and then to here. Glad to meet you and best of luck in your writing.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2009, 05:39:57 AM »
Same chain here, Storm. Welcome to the institution. :D
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »
The podcast about treating your writing as a job gave me the extra push to get serious, so I can relate to that.

Miang

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 16, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »
Hello all :). I'm 27, working and in college full time which can make finding time to write difficult. I've been trying to establish the habit of working on my book every night and getting down at least 500 words of something but I'm not always successful. I have a lot of ideas, its translating them to paper and making sure that a new idea doesn't displace my old ideas to the extent that I can't write it out that I have been having problems with. I've been desperate for people to share my work with so this site is like a godsend for me. Trying to get the people you know to read your stuff doesn't work I've discovered. When I can get friends or family to read my work they say to me "It's good", which I hate. I think those are probably the two worst words in the English language.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 16, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »
Hey, Miang and all the rest of you newbies that keep sneaking in when I'm not looking! I'll look forward to reading your stuff.... and telling you that "it's good!" :P
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 20, 2009, 05:32:32 AM »
I am probably more influenced by Katherine Kurtz Deryni and Adept series. 

I read all of the introductions before posting and this quote leads super well into my own little biography! I go by Liathiana most times on the internet, though I'm known as Devani one or two places on the internet. It used to be that I would make up or find a different name for each site that I joined because I love names that much but then I figured it would be easier to recognize me different places if I used the same name. I'm not sure where I picked Liathiana up, I just know that from a very young age the name Liathiano was in my consciousness but I thought the "o" sound at the end sounded to masculine so when I first used it on a site I changed it to an "a". Most people call me Lia.

But anyways, my real first name is Caitrin. Which incidentally my parents found in A Bishop's Heir by...Katherine Kurtz! Which is why I'm going to get her autograph in the book when I attend Dcon this year. Caitrin is a Pretender Queen or some such, my parents named me after the bad girl! It's actually a Gaelic derivative of Katherine, meaning pure. My middle name is Ariel (I was born before the Disney Little Mermaid thank you very much!) and is Hebrew meaning "lion of god". It's actually meant way back in the day to be a male's name but like some other names (such as Lauren) it got kidnapped by the females. It's also the name of one of God's archangels so I like saying that my name means "Pure Angel" and leave it at that ;D After all, name's are supposed to say something about the person who wears them!

Did I tell you I have a fascination with names? >.>

Moving on!

I am just barely 22 years old from the last vestige of the wild wild west, the state of Nevada. I"m going to barely restrain myself from giving you all a lecture on how to pronounce Nevada since it seems most of you are from Utah and I'm hoping that means you already know the correct pronunciation. Now all we have to do is school California on the subject!

I grew up Seventh Day Adventist and was baptized when I was 13 years old. I have believed that I was called to be a missionary since I was 12 years old and felt that reinforced on each of the missionary trips I've gone on. Once I reached college however, I didn't find many majors in Missionary work. My interest in spirituality and religion had only increased over the years however so I became a Theology student. However, as most private schools are including Adventist institutions, they are quite expensive. I found myself unable to pay for another year at the school I loved. This was kind of the catalyst for a depression I had held for years since my parents divorced. It grew deeper and darker until I could return home to my family. It was something I fought on my own (and I don't doubt with quite a bit of God's help though at the time and even now I feel some kind of strange distance between us that I'm not sure how to close) and have eventually overcome.

I share all this because I believe all of our life experiences bleed into our work, most of the time unconsciously. If it gives you some kind of insight into the psyche behind the words maybe that will help you critique me better. I'm also the type of person that is generally very open when asked questions (even broad ones like the one for this thread) but I tend to be very close-mouthed and reluctant to volunteer information on myself out of the blue, even to friends or family. In some ways I find myself with personality traits that seem to be polar opposites and yet I am completely both. I think I'm going to have to copy that aspect into one or more of my characters. Or maybe this is something found in everyone? I haven't thought to ask before!

At the moment I find myself with a lot of time on my hands. I work only 9 - 12 hours a week. I need a better job with more pay and more hours (is that terrible english?) but until then I've decided I want to spend some of my time focused on writing. That is why I'm here! I know I am new so I'm going to ease myself slowly into things.

Thank you all for sharing and my apologies for such a long post! *goes back to continue reading introductions*

Edit: Oh and DUH. I read mostly fantasy. It's actually kind of funny...I love reading fantasy and watching sci-fi. What I write and what I'm interested in will always be fantasy. Most of the time my idea's are too big for my ability so I'm working on finding an idea that I love but it not so intricate that I couldn't write it well. We'll see how that goes! I really need to find discipline in writing, one of my biggest projects is just making myself write! Even though I love stories and making them up getting them onto paper (or screen!) is a different story.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:10:34 AM by Liathiana »
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)