Local Authors > Reading Excuses

Your Background

<< < (2/87) > >>

maxonennis:
I'm a twenty-one year old male from Oklahoma. I spent from the age of two until eighteen in foster care.  I've always loved books and wanted to be a writer--even if just for personal entertainment. On the summer of my senior year in high school--I was still months away from aging out of the foster care program--while I was living on a farm, I'd gotten extremely bored and a little depressed and started to write a fantasy novel. I never finished it because I did everything that you're not supposed to, jumping POVs while in the same chapter, clique dialog, and the extreme over uses of internal dialog.

I set the jumbled story aside as I finished my senior year. After which I moved out on my own and began working, about a year later I picked up the old story and read through it--what I could anyway, I'd hand written it because I didn't have access to a computer. I hated it and wanted to try again. So now I'm on my fourth novel, and one I'm very excited about.

I never use serious romantic tones in my works--flirtatious, yes, but not anything serious--,I don't use the "family theme", I don't write idealist character, I avoid having a true definable antagonist, and the closest thing I've ever written to a happy ending is a story where the characters ended up right back where they'd began.

wcarter4:
Name's Jake

I'm a fourth year at the University of Georgia. I'm majoring in newspaper journalism. Most of what I write tends to be military science fiction or something akin to fantasy. I've been a student in various Martial Arts since the 6th grade, and it shows in my writing.

M:
You can call me M.  I'm 29, graduated with a bachelors degree to teach high school Social Sciences, but never have used the degree.  I have a really good job that pays the bills and am grateful for it.  If I didn't have my current job, I would enjoy teaching greatly.

I never have dabbled, experimented or even contemplated writing a novel before...until last year.  I have no experience in writing, other than long papers for college.  I have some of the most unique friends in the world and one day last year I decided I wanted to write a fictional book about the three of us.  The genre, I suppose, would be fictional comedy.  I love writing but like most people, find that my time to do it is robbed by external forces.  My major battle for time is taking care of my wife (this is not a chore or an inconvenience...just a necessary requirement I enjoy doing).  My wife was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and she and I are fighting that while she attempts to bring out second child into this world. 

I feel like I can take criticism, but my biggest fear is being the "noob" amongst seasoned writers.  Looks like many of you have already polished off your first book or two...whereas I am still working on my first and only.  I hope to learn a lot from your experience and knowledge.

Loud_G:
I'm a recent graduate from the University of Maryland. I started out in Electrical Engineering, but as I went a long I began taking a lot of geography and cartography courses to help in the writing of my novel. I enjoyed it so much that I eventually switched my major to 'GIS and Computer Cartography'. I apply the earth sciences to the world I'm making and I get to design my own maps! :D

I started writing in 10th grade. It wrote a short story (if 20 some pages at the age of 16 can be called short (the assignment was to write 2 pages)) I decided that it would be cool to expand that story into a larger world. So I spent my remaining High School years ripping off all the writers that I had read up to that point. The Belgariad had a "bore" so my world hada bore, the Wheel of Time had 'X' so I had X, etc., etc..

Then I went on a mission to Mexico for two years and didn't get to write or plan anything. I came backin 2002 with a desire to start fresh. I threw out all the crappy, stolen bits and worked on creating my own world. I decided that I was sick of the "British Isles Medieval Fantasy" setting and decided to go epic jungle fantasy with a smattering of a treasure hunt(/mystery) through ruins (a la Indiana Jones).  So that is my main project. It is called "Eriadhin: People of the Choice" and probably be a trilogy with a prequel.

I've written several short stories since I began this epic, I am very ADD when it comes to writing, I have lots of ideas, and so little time. :D

I've taken a couple of creative writing classes, which is where two of my short stories came from (a slipstream story of a boy in middleschool and a horror story taken from a nightmare I had once) I've also written a scifi story about what REALLY happened during the moon landing, among others. I have many shorts, and perhaps novels, planned but it is very difficult to find time....

I love to research things, so writing bizarre stories gives me a good excuse :)

Chaos:

--- Quote from: M on November 19, 2008, 04:57:47 PM ---I feel like I can take criticism, but my biggest fear is being the "noob" amongst seasoned writers.  Looks like many of you have already polished off your first book or two...whereas I am still working on my first and only.  I hope to learn a lot from your experience and knowledge.

--- End quote ---

I don't know about others, but I'm not all that "seasoned". I haven't actually finished my novel before; it usually gets around 30,000 words and I decide to rewrite. Never finished any project, really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version