1 (2.7%)
Que es un MMO?
1 (2.7%)
MUD ftw!
2 (5.4%)
Other
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Favorite MMO  (Read 9202 times)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Favorite MMO
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »
That's right, another poll.

I'm curious to see what kind of MMO's people around here play. But not just to say WHICH is their favorite but to give a cogent explanation as to WHY.  (And not just because it ROXXORZ UR SOXXORZ, something intelligent)

I have played many many of these types of games. The only one I keep coming back to is GuildWars. For my this is mainly a money issue. There are certainly issues with the game, but not enough to drive me away.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Sir_Peche

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite MMO
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
My favourite MMO was Everquest 1. I played this with a whole bunch of my buddies back in middle school/high school. I really just like it for the memories with my friends though, not much for the game itself, although it did help pave the road for everything else that followed it.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Perfect World. For those of you who've heard of it and have irrational "lag" whines, there's now PWI, which is USA hosted. 0 lag.

Perfect World is free, both to install and to play.

The jumping is what first brought me in, but it's really easy to solo until you get a decent guild too.

I play PW even though I couldn't stand City of Heroes or WoW

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »

I'm going with WoW. As, you stated "Warcrack" is highly addicting and I just can't stop playing. After I got all epiced out I thought is was time to blow the dust off of my 360 but no, now the Lich King expansion is out and it's off to the level grind again.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:33:38 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
I still have very fond memories of City of Heroes. There was just something fun and endearing about running around as a superhero. When the released City of Villains everything went downhill. Production went away. Support went away. And the fun and enjoyable experience I had went away =(.

I seem to have a knack for trying the MMO's that fall on their faces. Tabula Rasa could have been cool...but whoever thought it would be a good idea to not have forums or consistent updates needs to be hit in the head with a brick.

Eve was actually an interesting experience. It is still running and has a fairly large following, but I just stopped feeling engaged by the whole world.

Wow, this was a departure from what was asked....
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »
Gotta throw my vote in for EQII. I've been playing it since 2004 and have not looked back. And yes, I tried WoW for about a week, did not care for it.  :D

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »

Wow, this was a departure from what was asked....

Not at all, you merely explored your opinion on various MMO's rather than JUST your favorite :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:16:00 AM »
I played WoW for a couple months, until I actually got bored. Plus I was playing it way too much. An odd combination, I know. Then I played LOTRO for about a month, and I again got bored.
If I ever pick up another MMO, its probably going to be the Star Wars based one that Bioware is working on. They make good games.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »
I have to say WoW because it is the only one I have the money to play. We almost got Everquest first, but, hubby thought the WoW cover looked more intriguing. And here we are, almost two years later I think, and Wrath of the Lich King has got hubby totally hooked again. I like it, but being a healer, and a co-gm, gets to where coming online sometimes can be dangerous to my peace of mind. Luckily, it is a small, relatively drama free guild. :) And I do have  a toon on Nathrezim, with some of the others here, but it isn't my main and I am afraid she is awfully dusty. I haven't visited her in months.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »
I played WoW for a couple months, until I actually got bored. Plus I was playing it way too much. An odd combination, I know. Then I played LOTRO for about a month, and I again got bored.
If I ever pick up another MMO, its probably going to be the Star Wars based one that Bioware is working on. They make good games.

Yes!  I can't wait for the KOTOR MMO.  I hope it has a much better release then SWG.  I have faith in Bioware. 

I voted for WoW.  Wrath is great, and Death Knights are way too much fun!

A bunch of my friends would still answer EQ to this question because of nostalgia. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »
My favourite one is City of Heroes. The main reason may be a stupid one: it's where a friend of mine plays, and it's really funny when we play together. Anyways, I do also love the fact I can customise my character more than in any other MMO. Besides, they keep releasin new things quite often: Issue 13 went recently live, with day jobs (so your character doesn't just stand and do nothing when you are logged out), new story arcs...

I love the invasions, and Ouroboros (you can go to the past to finish story arcs you didn't at the time). Besides, as you can exemplar to a lever lower than yours, or be sidekicket to the same level as your friend no matter what their level is as long as it's higher, you can play with your friends no matter if there is a difference of 40 levels or so.

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
Hi, I'm SirZelig and I am a Final Fantasy XI addict......
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 06:31:08 PM »
Hi, I'm SirZelig and I am a Final Fantasy XI addict......

Haha.  A friend of mine tells me he still has FF XI dreams every now and again.  It looked like a cool game, it just seemed a bit too slow paced for me (combat wasn't quick enough).  That's why I still can't quite get into the FF games at all. 

Now Star Ocean--that's a different story.  Go go Enix.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 12:40:13 AM »
I play CABAL. Im pretty sure that not many people have heard of it. Mainly, i play it because it is free  ;D. I also dont want to get addicted to a game (*cough* warcraft *cough*), even though some of my friends are. It actually is fun for a free mmorpg, and looks like it has much beter graphics than WoW.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:10:55 AM »
Wait is CABAL the one where you are in a tribe and you fight other tribes? or am i totally off...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!