Author Topic: Settlers of Catan, Risk Godstorm, Bonanza (The Bean Game)  (Read 13588 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: Settlers of Catan, Risk Godstorm, Bonanza (The Bean Game)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 11:15:27 PM »
So a friend recently told me about a game called Carcassone (sp?) that is similar to Settlers.  Has anyone played it?  Any opinions?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 12:25:44 AM »
Similar to Carcasonne only in that they're both from europe and therefore have similar sensibilities--light theme, simple pieces, no player elimination, etc. It doesn't have nearly the level of player interaction that Settlers has, but on the plus side it has deeper strategy (and manages to have both strategy and heavy randomness at the same time, which is impressive). There are about a zillion expansions for Carcasonne, though I've only played a few (Inns and Cathedrals is almost required, and should be in the base game). Also, like Settlers, people can get very vicious with it, but in general it's a pretty fun game. It's on my list of games I want to own, but there are several above it that I need to get first.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »
Fell you need to put that list down in your next post so that I may see what games these are! (And so that I may beat you to the punch! [But maybe not?])

And Carcassonne is indeed fun-buttons! It's not similar, but has that same distinct feel to it. In that the game is easy once you've played a few games, and a constant time-wasting engine of fun that everyone should always enjoy. I mean, I've found a web-application that I've used to teach SE to play the game.

With that, I should add that anyone else wanting to learn how to play and be able to play whenever you want, just buzz me on AIM at GemmTWG anytime. I'm usually around, except nights when I work. We will have FUN!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »
I also recently played a game which I think is called Pit, and it was a blast!  It'as all about trading crop cards randomly and trying to get ten of a kind, at least I think it's ten.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

n8sumsion

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »
I got all of my in-laws hooked on Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Bohnanza, Ticket to Ride and others. We have a great time playing them (and personally, how can you go wrong with a game where you can legitimately say, "I have wood for sheep"?) I like just about anything from the Days of Wonder guys (Pirate's Cove, Mystery of the Abbey, Ticket to Ride). Tikal is fun. Bang! is a blast too.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 02:29:03 AM »
I prefer the classic, "(insert name here) gave me wood!" or yelling "THE W NUMBER,"  whenver a number is rolled that gives you wood and wheat.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 12:17:29 AM »
 I also enjoy making "circles of happiness" and hogging all of one particular resource
Definition
Circle of Happiness-When you have three cities on one hex with a really good number, with roads connecting them.

- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

zchance

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 01:23:28 AM »
If you like Settlers of Catan, you should also check out Puerto Rico. While the format is very different it presents a similar playability. I've always felt that one of Settler's strong points is how every game is so different because of board configuration and the decisions of other players. With Puerto Rico, no single strategy works in every game. Your options are enhanced or limited by the previous player's decisions. It is a resource gathering game also like Settlers.

Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico are the two most popular games at our house but generally Puerto Rico is more playable in the long term and tends to get played more often as a result.