Author Topic: Questions, problems and ideas  (Read 8787 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Questions, problems and ideas
« on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:25 AM »
I figured I'd start this for anyone who has a question about something writing-related, or to put up ideas to be critiqued (read: shot full of holes).

NOTE: This isn't for posting swathes of story or anything that large, wait for submission dates for that.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions, problems and ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:50 AM »
I don't know if you had this in mind when you created it, but...

When I submit and want to put on a warning label (lets say L).  Are there certain words that I might not recognize to be offensive to others but not to me.  (I know common sense should rule: the acronym; for unlawful carnal knowledge is obvious)  Nevertheless, society is getting more and more accepting of the way expletives are used so I was wondering if some of you might want to PM me with words you would want to be warned about. 

Or something, this seems a stupid idea now that I read it but I can't think of a better way.   :-[

Also, are made-up expletives offensive to others in our group?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:45:52 AM by GreenNecrobeanCasserole »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:09:38 AM »
One of the things this thread is for precisely.

If you aren't sure, throw a warning on it. At least then if someone gets mad at you, you can say that you fairly warned them - and you did. As for made-ups, I'd personally say no: Robert Jordan used made-ups all the time ("Blood and bloody ashes" anyone?), and so far as I know, nobody got on his case about it.

I'm not saying to slap on an S (sexual content), just because two characters kiss, but be mindful. Authors are supposed to be the most sensitive to the human condition (it's what we write about, after all), so pour a little sensitivity into your thoughts.

Questions about specific words can be posted here (I'll make sure it's cool with Raethe and Chaos), but make sure you put up an Explicit Content warning (like a spoiler warning). Worst thing that happens is that we take it down. ^^
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:47 AM »
I can do that.

What would be the preferred Font of choice to send?

What about spacing (I like 1.5 but then again I'm weird so...)?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:48:24 AM »
Yeah. There's no need to go hog wild with the labels, but if in doubt, slap a label on it.

Personally, I'm not going to be offended by pretty much anything that comes up in writing. I mean, I'll whine at you if I think it's gratuitous, but that has more to do with the writing than the content... I don't really believe in censoring for the sake of censorship.

Of course, not everyone might feel the same way, and while it doesn't look like we have anyone really young on this list, you never know.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
Didn't we talk about some really simple labels that we would use way back when in the Email List topic?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:53:55 AM »
Yeah. I think what Ben was asking was if there are specific words outside the usual cusses that would get peoples' hackles up.

Edit: Times New Roman or Courier are manuscript standard. (Though I personally thing Courier is butt-ugly.) But, we'll take anything readable. Just no Wingdings.

Double spacing is standard manuscript format, but I think 1.5 is fine. (Anyone object?) I will say no single spacing, though - 1.5 or double spacing is much easier on the eyes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:59:17 AM by Raethe »

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:49 AM »
Didn't we talk about some really simple labels that we would use way back when in the Email List topic?

Yes, but I just wanted to clarify what to do, somethings that are obvious to some are not so obvious to others.
I would rather be safe than sorry.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
In my opinion just use common sense. Don't send out your manuscript in any form that might hinder people from reading it  :P ie don't put it in a size 6 cursive font single spaced  :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Put it in whatever font, size and colour you like, as long as it's in an editable document that allows us to change things to a readable format. 8)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
I'd like to object to the "whatever colour you like" part. Black is easiest on the eyes.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 06:51:19 PM »
Yeah, there's no need to make things fancy. You don't get brownie points for having a special color or font. We're here to critique writing, not your font style :P

So, let's just keep it perfectly plain. A clear font (Ones that come to mind are Courier, Times New Roman, Palatino Linotype. Things like those. There are more, of course), double spaced (1.5 works; it isn't a big deal. Just as long as it isn't single spaced), and black font color.

Oh, and size 12. That's pretty much the standard.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
According to an author I spoke with once, manuscript submitions should be in times new roman, courtier (new), 10 or 12 point, black font, double spaced.  Why don't we just go with that so that when we're all done if we feel like it's ready to be submitted we don't have to make any changes?

I mean, I've even gone so far as to put my italicsed words as underlines instead, and use a pound sign to signify a break.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »
I've never seen anyone say 10 point font. It's always 12.

I've started using the pound sign for line breaks but underlines for italics annoys me. I'm hoping the trend will die out by the time I'm ready to start sending out my manuscript. ::)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »
I mean, I've even gone so far as to put my italicsed words as underlines instead, and use a pound sign to signify a break.

Let's not go crazy here :P

(Because I don't do that. Italics are just so much fun!)

Otherwise, those guidelines sound good, except let's standardize it for 12 point font.