Author Topic: Suggested reading?  (Read 1908 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Suggested reading?
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
I was just wanting a list of suggested reads for someone like me who wants to be an author to keep up with.  I'm not talking novels or how to books, I'm thinking more things like writing magazines, or news feed websites that focus on the writing world (and more specifically (at least for me) the fantasy writing world).  So any suggestions would be really great.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Suggested reading?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »
Locus is the news magazine of the science fiction/fantasy world. They currently have their October issue up for free viewing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:48 AM »
http://www.writingexcuses.com/2008/11/

Writing Excuses is a great podcast!

Edit:

Maybe this is more along the lines of what your looking for?

http://www.storypilot.com/

http://www.sfwa.org/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:02:53 AM by GreenNecrobeanCasserole »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:53:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm subscribed to it.  I'm meaning aditional things that keep me up to date with the whole writing world as a whole.

Thank you for the suggestion Ook!  I will definatly check that out (and more then likely get a subscription)

Sorry Sprig!  I debated on if I should put it in here, in the books section, or where I put it, and couldn't figure out for sure where it should have been.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:39:13 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 11:25:13 PM »
I was just wanting a list of suggested reads for someone like me who wants to be an author to keep up with.  I'm not talking novels or how to books, I'm thinking more things like writing magazines, or news feed websites that focus on the writing world (and more specifically (at least for me) the fantasy writing world).  So any suggestions would be really great.

OK, so I know you told us not to suggest books...but it's really all I have besides Writing Excuses.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.  After finishing this book, I was almost 100% certain I wanted to be a writer.  I have had a couple of my friends read it--they all love it. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:19:32 AM »
Writing Tools:
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=78&aid=103943

Writing Advice:
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=78&aid=103943

wow I actually really like that. Great list, that gets into the practicals of how to do what. I really liked when he said, "use subtle symbols, not crashing cymbals."  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »
Some how I messed up the second link and pasted the same as the first...

This is the one I MEANT to paste for Writing Advice:
http://www.hollylisle.com/
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I'm now trying to either subscribe or copy and paste pretty much the entire thing to have for quick-ref later.  :D

deckacards

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • iPursue
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 06:01:22 PM »
I know you said not books...but...

Stephen King's "On Writing" is excellent...

I know, I know...Stephen King...I actually don't like his writing style...but, trust me...this book is excellent for writers...long story short, the best Creative Writing professor I ever had (well published, literary type, 3 writing degrees) hates King's novels and style...but of the literally more than a hundred writing books she's read, "On Writing" is number one on her recommended reading list...she recommends it to students in all her writing classes on day one. Says it's the best "how to" book about writing as well as the best book about being a writer and the writing life that she's found yet...

If you haven't read it, you'll be surprised...
Um...imagine a cool Signature HERE...and it shall be so...