2 (2.2%)
Still looking...
4 (4.4%)
Historical Fiction
1 (1.1%)
Other Speculative Fiction
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Genre?  (Read 11411 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Genre?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »
I think if we tried to split into groups based on medium we would be WAY skewed towards fiction, and guessing from the comments we've had so far from this bunch, probably mostly towards long fiction. I have a hard time envisioning making that work, and I'd still rather we stay away from subgroups if at all possible.

Fiction writers can give perfectly adequate critiques of screenplays, I think; we all have narrative and dialogue in common. You might want to take our critiques on the other aspects of screenwriting with a grain of salt.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
As I said, we can approach writing academically between genres. Alpha Readers tell us if they like or dislike the story, and if the genre you're reading happens to be one you like, then you're an alpha reader, and a peer reviewer; if not, then don't bash it for being from a genre you hate, just look at it's merits as a piece of writing and try to be fair.

I.e. I have a massive dislike of Anne McCaffery, for stylistic reasons. I can admit that from an academic PoV, it's sound and good writing, even though I don't like the theme of the story itself.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »
Please allow me to stir this pot (slightly): I write screenplays. I have written prose, but what I'm working on and plan to submit is, well, screenplays. This is not su much a division of genre, but more in format.

I only bring this up because not everyone is used to reading scripts, plays, etc.

So I suppose the question is: would it be worth split in the readers' list by format? Those who are willing to read scripts or novels? Or simply prefer short stories?

Just curious what other think.

I've been in school plays before, and I've read plays, too. I don't think they are too difficult to follow, so you should submit the screenplay/script just like any other piece of writing here. Writing is writing, and basic elements of fiction like character, plot, and setting are just as prevalent in screenplays. We can give you feedback on that sort of stuff, easy.

However, if you format something wrong in the screenplay style (for example, not italicizing an action somewhere), it's less likely that any of us, not having written scripts, would catch such a mistake. After reading your bio, though, I don't think you would need to worry about that, since you have plenty of experience in the area.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »
Honestly, I don't see a problem with the screenplay.  I was actually told by (Dave Farland I think it was.  Whoever wrote the mice books) said that one of the best ways to pratice is to write a screen play because you're forced to focus on the plot and getting it done.  I still haven't taken him up on that suggestion, but I think that's mostly because I'm really depressed about losing One Messed-Up Faerie Tale.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2008, 06:55:04 AM »
A slight clarification: though my resume may sound impressive, poverty has rendered my film career null and void.  I don't think shooting wedding videos  or the occasional industrial film doesn't exactly make me all that 'experienced.'

But self-deprecation as side, I am more than confident in my screenplay formating. I learned much from my first script in which I over-formated and included descriptions for just about every camera movement. Eek!
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »
I honestly don't know what genres I write, but I like making magic systems and having non-human characters, so fantasy and sci-fi are my favorites.
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 06:31:01 AM »
Oh, I am devious…
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
...How?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 07:25:17 AM »
You can't just say something like that and leave us hanging!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:08 AM »
Using my powers of deductive reasoning, I was able to deduce that he voted for every genre on there. :D
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 07:42:29 AM »
You can't just say something like that and leave us hanging!

Oh, but he can!

He just did, after all. ::)

Haha. I had just figured that the devious-ness was in posting that and not telling us to what he was referring. ::)

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »
Huh. Waddaya know? A plot twist! Didn't see that coming...
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
But you can only vote for 5....
"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »
Ah, but if you're a fancy admin I'm sure you could hack the system long enough to do something insanely devious like that.