Author Topic: Genre?  (Read 9467 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Genre?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »
I would say no, but then again I would also not know about this strange phanomina which is the "man card".  In fact, I would say that your wife is very lucky, because most of the female friends I know what a guy who is willing to read romance books as well.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

WEKM

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »
The man card is very sacred. One can no longer pee standing up if it is revoked.  ;)

I have a book I bought but am afraid to read. It is about Christmas and everything I have heard so far, you end up just bawling by the end. Not sure I'm up for that just now.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »
Aww. I like books that make me bawl.

Well, as long as they make me bawl because they're good books.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
While I don't strictly endorse the Romance genre, I like books that pull out emotion - when I was younger and I read the last of the Animorphs books, I cried a little.

As for the Man Card, it's a heated subject of debate, though I personally follow the Dr. Cox "You get 5, then you are dead to all of men-kind." school of thought on the matter.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:08 AM »
Wait, what? Five what? (fear not, Raethe being confused is a fairly normal state of affairs...)

I don't oppose romance in any way. I just don't read it. And I don't think there's anything wrong with having romance drive your characters forward/through plot points/whatever, to whoever said that. (It's past midnight, my memory's going.)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
Dr. Cox is a character from Scrubs in one episode, he was talking the hapless, effeminate JD and handed him five 'man cards'. Each time JD did something stupid or unmanly, he lost one - the penalty for losing all five was to be considered dead to all men-kind.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
I usually write fantasy, it is neither epic nor urban just something...odd. I also like space opera sci-fi with epic themes. All of it shaded more dark with few happy endings.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »
I normally write either fantasy or sci-fi. My current book is a futuristic fantasy....But technology-wise it's not really futuristic. Just time-wise. It's about people with powers. Kind of like super powers, but not really. They form a group that is similar to x-men, and yet not at the same time (that's the best comparison I know of)....I really like the idea but I haven't written a whole lot lately. I can guarantee I'm going to fail NaNoWriMo miserably....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »
Don't say that! I haven't written much either - only about 4300 words since the start of November - I still figure I can make 50k if I work my rear off. And, uhh, ignore homework for the next two weeks.

That's okay, though. It's not like there's ever anything important due at the end of the semester.

Right?

*cough*

Space opera is a funny genre. Space oooooooperaaaaaa!

Ahem.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »
7200 from last friday. I'm a bit behind schedule, though. I'm trying to grind out a solid 4000/ day (about a chapter, I hoped), and it's not going well.

*Evil grin*

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
Yeah...Uh. I've got barely 2,000. And I'm going home this weekend for Thanksgiving week. I don't get a whole lot done when I go home. I know this from lots of experience, and I doubt this will be any different.

Plus, I'm just not really in a "writing my own stuff" kind of mood right now. I'm in a "reading Brandon Sanderson books" kind of mood.....I've spent so much time this past week and half reading, it's insane. And I'm getting more and more sleep-deprived. Apparently that happens when you go to sleep past 3 am most nights, and wake up at 7....Who'd a thunk, right?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »
Haha. 3am-7am sleeping hours sounds more or less normal to me.

Yeah, I don't know how much writing I'm going to be able to get done in the next little while either. My proffs keep like... assigning me homework! What the heck's up with that?

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 09:47:16 PM »
I don't know. It's dumb. My school-ethic is horrible. I slack-off, cram, slack-off, and cram some more....It's not the best way. But it DOES make for some interesting semesters.

And that time frame was conservative. Last Tuesday, it was about 5am. Wed about 2, Thursday not sure, Friday about 4, Saturday about 4:30, Sunday it was 5, and yesterday it was great! I went to sleep at almost 1!...Unfortunately, this morning was worse than yesterday. How does that work? I got six hours of sleep, and yesterday I got 2 and a half (I slept for an hour between two of my classes), and today I'm more exhausted....It's so weird.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 12:28:51 AM »
Do I have to give up my man card if I admit that I read my wife's romance novels after she is done with them?
She tends to read supernatural romance and I kind of like it too.

I will go out on a limb, and say no.  If its done in the privacy of your own home. ;)

That way no one can prove it!  Haha!
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 08:41:15 AM »
Please allow me to stir this pot (slightly): I write screenplays. I have written prose, but what I'm working on and plan to submit is, well, screenplays. This is not su much a division of genre, but more in format.

I only bring this up because not everyone is used to reading scripts, plays, etc.

So I suppose the question is: would it be worth split in the readers' list by format? Those who are willing to read scripts or novels? Or simply prefer short stories?

Just curious what other think.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."