Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 186608 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #1290 on: June 24, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »
For the record the issues I had long ago were before the list existed.  I was trying to BCC and couldn't send that many emails at once.  I created a list serve at that time, on my own server and used that until I went inactive.  When RE list was created I was not put on it.  I asked to be a nd began to receive submissions but was unable to send. I only tried again this week and found that I still could not send to RE so my submission was individually mailed or bcc'd to a handful of members.

The issue with the listserv is the fact that the RE domain is parked and aliased on top of TWG.  The typical means for handling this is to create an "MX" record that aliases the mail domain as well.  This acts as a big forwarder.  If the target email adress, in this case all@RE is in turn a listserv and in some cases a forwarding alias, it is not capable of responding to certain verification requests that are built into certain email servers.

SOOOOO when the email comes in with a request for verification, the target email (being both a list and behind at least on forwarded MX) is not capable of giving a meanigful replay to the verification request and the server where the list resides (in this case mail.TWG)  reports that the list (all) which is IN it's own database doesn't exist as a valid email and bounces the incoming email.

At least that's the set of conditions I've seen this happen on before.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1291 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »
I'd like to submit something this week. pretty please?

You're on the list for Monday. :)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 26, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
If I could submit one last time before taking a bit of a hiatus for revision, that would be nice.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1293 on: June 26, 2010, 10:03:23 PM »
You betcha.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #1294 on: June 28, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
I hope it isn't too late to ask, but I'd like to submit the second half of chapter 1 today.  Not meaning to be pushy, I'll go ahead and try sending it If you don't get it and want to message me.  If I'm jumping the gun and Silk pours wrath upon my head, then wait till next week to review it. :P

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #1295 on: June 28, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
I hope it isn't too late to ask, but I'd like to submit the second half of chapter 1 today.  Not meaning to be pushy, I'll go ahead and try sending it If you don't get it and want to message me.  If I'm jumping the gun and Silk pours wrath upon my head, then wait till next week to review it. :P

Do it!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 28, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »
I didn't get Valkynphyre's.  That might have been my fault though.  I was sure it was in my email inbox, but now it is not.  Regardless of the fault, please resend it!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 28, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »
Sure.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1298 on: June 28, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »

Silk is all about the wrath.

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 28, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
I'm not getting Renoard's posts, but I have to disagree with his assessment of the situation. RE is not just an alias to TWG. www.readingexcuses.com is a 301 redirect to this forum; all the MX records point to google. A DNS check produces this:

Your MX records that were reported by your nameservers are:

1   aspmx.l.google.com   74.125.43.27 (no glue)
5   alt1.aspmx.l.google.com   74.125.155.27 (no glue)
5   alt2.aspmx.l.google.com   74.125.155.27 (no glue)
10   aspmx2.googlemail.com   74.125.43.27 (no glue)
10   aspmx3.googlemail.com   72.14.213.27 (no glue)
10   aspmx4.googlemail.com   209.85.229.27 (no glue)
10   aspmx5.googlemail.com   74.125.157.27 (no glue)

Now, I don't generally give Google a lot of credit here (I really don't like them for anything but basic searches), but I'm pretty sure their system is set up right. They have millions of users, after all. I talked to Chaos about this, and got the forward for your email. It looks like your mail server tried contacting a Google server that is NOT hosting RE's records (74.125.95.27). To me, this looks like either opentransfer.com has stale DNS records, or they're getting magical data that's grossly wrong. Either way, it's not anything on RE's side.

Also, the system RE is using is just an alias redirect to send out to all addresses on the list. It is not a true listserv.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:15:47 PM by lethalfalcon »
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »
What's with all the random 'Fred's in my inbox? Are we changing systems or something? You go less active for a moment.... :-[
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:46 AM »
Random Freds? I see no random Freds... I also continue to not see anything from Renoard...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #1302 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:19 AM »
No WE aren't changing anything. It's not my place to change things for anyone else.  I can't send to the All [at] RE address, so I created a genuine listserv.  Anyone who is a member on Silk's list and WANTS to use it can.  The address is the last one. ;P  And I'm sorry for the spam, it was a way of working out kinks.  You should have seen the list of random bounces I deleted.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1303 on: July 03, 2010, 08:55:40 AM »
Just so you all know, I'm going to be out of town until probably Tuesday. I doubt you'll even notice I'm gone, but if you need a moderator for some reason all queries should be directed at Chaos 'til then.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #1304 on: July 03, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
I'm not doing anything fun for the fourth anyways except for two graveyard shifts, so I am very much here.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.