Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 218510 times)

jwdenzel

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #525 on: March 04, 2009, 02:42:24 AM »
I'd like to submit for the next round, please.

Thanks
These are not my stories. I just write them.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 05, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
I want to submit on Monday too.

And Reaves, my personal opinion is that you shouldn't edit anything until the entire book's been critqued. Doing so can confuse the critquers.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 05, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »
And Reaves, my personal opinion is that you shouldn't edit anything until the entire book's been critqued. Doing so can confuse the critquers.
No offense but, what's the point of getting critiques if you're not going to use them to fix the book as you go? I think making edits should be encouraged as long as you explain significant changes in the summaries. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:34:47 PM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »
I think making edits should be encouraged as long as you explain significant changes in the summaries. But that's just me.

Concur.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2009, 08:43:39 PM »
I'm a big believer that you finish a darft and then go on to the next, make those corrections and then move on to the next etc.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »
I think making edits should be encouraged as long as you explain significant changes in the summaries. But that's just me.

Concur.
Oh, shoot. Why do you always have to- Oh. You're actually agreeing with me. Carry on then. :)

I'm a big believer that you finish a darft and then go on to the next, make those corrections and then move on to the next etc.
Aw, well we are all going to have different writing styles. Me, I'm a compulsive editor. I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. But then it's getting better, right? Or at least in theory....

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
I think it does a disservice to everybody if you simply hand in your first raw draft. I mean, what do you expect to happen? There are going to be problems, there will be typos, and it will likely get shredded.   But if you put your best effort forward, after fixing stuff, then the people reading it won't focus on stuff you already know about and can instead focus on the things you don't see.   Which is the whole point, right?

Maybe it's just me.  But in the week leading up to a submission, (like this one for me, for example) I always go back to those chapters I plan on submitting and clean things up as best I can and put as much polish as possible.

(Sorry if we're getting too off topic here)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 05, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »
A lot of the stuff that I write desperately needs a good run-through. Sometimes sentence structure needs to change. Sometimes the dialogue falls flat. Sometimes a line is unnecessary and confusing and needs to be cut.

Of course there is a drawback. Often I have added something in at the last instant and then everyone latches on to that one thing that doesn't fit.

I do understand what you mean about confusing the critiquers. Just recently I made a decision to revamp entire parts of my world. It won't change anything major or important in the story itself, but readers seeing it for the first time could be a bit disoriented. Of course, I'll make a note that explains what it is, but still.

I just think that I should do everything I can to make the manuscript as good as it can be before I submit, and then use those comments to make it even better.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Hamster

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 06, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »
As long as there aren`t alot of other people who would like to submit, I would like to do submit again this Monday, as my next chapter actually follows the same character from the previous one!  :o So I`d like to submit while it`s somewhat fresh.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #534 on: March 06, 2009, 12:57:03 AM »
I just remembered that I will be out of town this weekend through mid next week.  So no submission afterall.

I'll submit the following week probably.
J

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 06, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »
I just remembered that I will be out of town this weekend through mid next week.  So no submission afterall.
:'( Now that's just not nice. I was looking forward to ripping through your stuff again.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #536 on: March 06, 2009, 01:11:22 AM »
I promise that this new material will be extra ripe for you to bite into. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 06, 2009, 02:05:34 AM »
:'( Now that's just not nice. I was looking forward to ripping through your stuff again.

I was looking forward to reading your stuff too :( I'll guess I'll have to wait :(
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #538 on: March 06, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »

I was looking forward to reading your stuff too :( I'll guess I'll have to wait :(

The Pressure!    *flees the country*
;-)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 06, 2009, 05:39:47 AM »
If it's not too late, I'd like to submit something.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)