Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 218876 times)

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #480 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »
Well in all fairness, I actually was a fan of them for a little bit. I read Twilight in about 15 hours--stayed up all night reading it pretty much. Meyer's writing style is addictive, and since I'm very easily entertained, I got sucked in....However, the literary value of her books is nil. And so after I got done reading, and actually thinking about what I had read....not so good. And then the hype started to kick in for the books...and I'm like "Why? There's so many other better books out there!"

And since then (over a year ago), my opinion has dropped so far that now any time I hear the mention of Twilight, I shudder....The reaction is worse for the author though. I hate that woman. More than I can possibly put words to. I utterly loathe her....

The first one is a fairly fun read, it's the second one that offended me to the point I couldn't make it past two thirds in because of Bella’s all the abnormal clinginess. Her reliance on men--teen boys--is too much to take, particularly when I’ve been raised by some very strong women.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 31, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »
Yeah, that was the one when I really started to wonder WHY this girl wasn't admitted into a psychiatric ward. I mean if it was a character arch, I might have gotten over it, but she was whiny and clingy the whole time. Or at least, the whole time I actually read it before it went flying across the room.

Jacque....just...don't do anything to our MC just to get back at me. Like. Atomic detonations, or something like that....I know it won't be permanent, but....I think it would be more than slightly out of place in our book...
Aw, well if you didn't want atomic detonations in our book (another one in the desperately needs a name club), you really shouldn't have given me the first chapter.  ;)

I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #482 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
Submissions list updated. If I've missed anyone else, poke me.

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #483 on: January 31, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
Little Wilson I'm not sure whether you have read either series, but most people cant have true hatred for an author until they read the WoT series and THEN read a Terry Goodkind book. The Goodkind blatantly stole every brilliant idea the late Robert Jordan had then found a way to screw them up. Deus ex machinas, cliches, stolen...everything... there are very few WoT fans who do not want the Goodkind dead.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:35:10 PM by wcarter4 »
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

deckacards

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • iPursue
« Reply #484 on: February 01, 2009, 05:21:48 AM »
Reaves and Cards for Monday so far?

Aye, aye, Cap'n...I'm in!

As for the Terry Goodkind subject...I am a WoT fan...I'm enamored with Jordan's books...but I also like Goodkind's series...having said that, how Goodkind got away with that I'll never know...the only explanation I can think of is that Jordan had such an amazing impact on the genre that his work is in the process of creating a new, modern formula for writing the fantasy epic (much like Tolkien developed tons of writers to follow...), and now we'll see many, many writers follow his example...only time will tell...but as a fan of WoT, I just can't see how someone can read that series and not sub-consciously take SOMETHING from it...of course, Goodkind took EVERYTHING from it...that's different...

Regarding Goodkind himself...the guy is a moron. I'm sorry, but he's philosophically an idiot...and his writing ability DID get better as the series went along, but go back and read Wizard's First Rule again...that was one crappy piece of literature...and Pillars of Creation...the one where Goodkind completely abandons Richard and Kahlan for some completely non-interesting characters for the entire damn book...what the hell was he thinking????? And, to cap it all off...Goodkind is arrogant and full of himself to a fault...ugh...makes me cringe to read some of his personal stuff...things like his opinion that "You are either born a writer...or you are not..." - basically, he believes you are a writer at birth, or you just aren't a writer...you can learn to write "better"...but you'll never "learn to be a writer"...

Having said ALL of that...I do love Richard and Kahlan's characters...and i enjoyed reading the series...but I'm not proud of it...
Um...imagine a cool Signature HERE...and it shall be so...

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 01, 2009, 06:11:10 AM »
Regarding Goodkind himself...the guy is a moron. I'm sorry, but he's philosophically an idiot...

I have to agree. I was listening to a podcast interview with him today and he went on for about fifteen minutes of uninterrupted rambling about outlining and plotting. Note: not once did he call it outline or plotting, but continued on about "having to know my characters before I write them", using a number of poorly thought out metaphors to describe it, addressed the topics as if they were undefined and abstract thoughts that he'd come up with, and talking in circles the entire time. I eventually got tired and turned it off after he'd been going on for about twenty minutes.

Waste of my time, and I had a lot of it to waste today :(
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

wcarter4

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #486 on: February 01, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
Well, let's just forget about him for a while. He isn't here, and he isn't one of the people on the writing excuses cast so we can all just go back to pretending he doesnt exist and get back to trying to improve our own projects.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #487 on: February 01, 2009, 10:06:35 AM »
So, my book takes place in the WoT universe literally. Hope nobody's offended. It takes place in the Second Age though, so no  existing characters are used*.

I've given plotting a lot of thought. It seems to me that to have a good plot, you need to first have good locations. Locations are key because if you don't describe them well, your readers are lost no matter what's going on otherwise. I make sure to write at least 6 paragraphs of setting in any scene before any action happens so I can refer to the setting descriptions I already gave without confusing anyone. Needless to say, my locations are far superior to any other writer's locations I have seen. Some test readers go so far as to call my works "novels for architects"! I hope we have some text-based architecture fans out there. Personally, I get quite a thrill from a well-turned phrase about a beautiful column in a grassy courtyard (Thought I was going to give away my next novel's plot, did you? Well, that exact description is in the book and it's central to the plot, but that's not even the best part.). I think that you will all feel quite relieved after reading my book, the setting is THAT GOOD!

*(Except for some cameos!!1!!!!!eleven!!!)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

wcarter4

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #488 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
what you're doing Sortitus is called fanfiction and is perfectly acceptable except when authors specifically request that no one does any. What the other guy did was blatantly rip off the ideas and then try to pass them off as his own original work.

deckacards

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • iPursue
« Reply #489 on: February 01, 2009, 05:50:22 PM »
Exactly...and i'm all for moving on...just had to weigh in on the Goodkind "issue" :)

As for your work Sortitus...I have to ask...(this is an honest question...curious as to how you've dealt with the possible gaps)...What about all of the content from the final book of the WoT series? What if the final book contains information that completely undermines a critical point in your story?

That would make me nervous...writing before Jordan's work is done...looking forward to reading your stuff...
Um...imagine a cool Signature HERE...and it shall be so...

Revast

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
I would like to submit this week if possible.

Will I get a message saying I've been picked? Or should I just watch this thread?

thanks

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 02, 2009, 09:37:36 PM »
gimme a couple hours more before I submit. I've got some house stuff I need to do first.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #492 on: February 02, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
Just watch this thread. Specifically, take a look at the first post, which is where I've got the "whose submitting" thing listed.

Our submission days are usually the Monday of every week, so feel free to submit today.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
Please put me down as a submitter for next Monday. 

(Crap, now I "have" to go back and revise it one more time!)
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »
I'd like to submit on Monday as well.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)