Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 211926 times)

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #375 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:47 PM »
And get on her wrong side for not being on 'the list'?

Hmmm.....
"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!

cathar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 05, 2009, 05:45:51 AM »
I'll join.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:55:07 AM by Silk »

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 05, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »
I've been swamped by the holidays as well (Happy newyears everyone).
I can't promise to pick up at the same level as I started though. Doing a full critique takes me around three hours (reading, figuring out why I don't like things, phrasing them constructively) With 7 submissions a week coming in I don't have the time available to actually do that.
Whether that means I'll stick to short comments like today or pick one or two at random each week I don't know yet. Either way the current pace of submitting is too fast for me to keep up with.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 05, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
We have so many people in the group now, that I really don’t see it as a problem if every person can’t critique every week or you miss some submissions. I mean, I’m thrilled whenever someone takes the time to critique my stuff, but I have so much to get through that I see even getting 3 or 4 critiques as something well worth the effort and far better than my usual system (I read it, stress over every sentence w/o changing much, and then do it again, and again). I’ve been able to keep up with submissions so far, but even if that changes with holidays at a close, I plan to at least critique those that critiqued mine in the past, selfishly hoping they will continue to return the favor.  ;)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

M

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
I agree with Frog.  I think if we at least give 3 or 4 critiques a week, that is more than enough.  We shouldn't be expected to critique all of them.  There isn't enough time.  We would end up reading more than writing.  My goal isn't to stick with one story, but to find the submissions that don't have a lot of critiques and start there. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:37:58 PM by M »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 05, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
I agree with Frog.  I think if we at least give 3 or 4 critiques a week, that is more than enough.  We shouldnt be expected to critique all of them.  There isn't enough time.  We would end up reading more than writing.  My goal isn't to stick with one story, but to find the submissions that don't have a lot of critiques and start there. 

Is that what you meant?  :P
I fully agree with you, we can't require people to critique every submission. If you do, great! Hopefully they'll return the favor! But don't let it impede your writing. Nobody here wants that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:22:46 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 05, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
I fully agree with you, we can't require people to critique every submission. If you do, great! Hopefully they'll return the favor! But don't let it impede your writing. Nobody here wants that.
Of course not. Your own writing should always be the most important thing (I know mine is!). I just see the critiques a bit like currency and that you should put in what you hope to receive. I hope to get 3 or 4 critiques when I submit, so I strive to do at least that many myself.
But like I said, there are lots of people here, and lots of room for different interpretations.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:03 AM »
We never intended for a system where everyone critiques everyone else, that's inefficient and doesn't scale. In the opening bits of this thread (eons ago, in RE time) all that us original conspirators asked was that you critique one or two AT LEAST, and if you had the time to go be a good neighbor, or follow up on a story you were liking especially, then go do those too.

With the current group at ~30 people, we should be fine as long as people take note of the stories being neglected and give them a little abuse (^ ^ ), as well as return to the ones that they find fascinating and give them the benefit of your scholarly knowledge. If our moderators see skewing in where critiques are being distributed (a story getting 1 review, while another has 15), then they should take action.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #383 on: January 08, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
Can I submit Monday oh great and noble masters? I'm finally over the nightmare time-drain known as the holidays
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 08, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
I'd also like to submit on Monday.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:01 AM »
I'd also like to submit on Monday.

I would like to as well.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
Kay.

Is it too early to ask how well people are keeping up with submissions?

M

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 09, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »
Do you mean, how are we doing at critiquing them or how are we at being ready to submit?

I personally can submit every week, but don't need to in order to give someone who doesn't submit often a chance.

As far as critiquing goes?  I would hope everyone can at least critique 2 to 4 submissions  a week.

???

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 09, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
Do you mean, how are we doing at critiquing them or how are we at being ready to submit?

I personally can submit every week, but don't need to in order to give someone who doesn't submit often a chance.

As far as critiquing goes?  I would hope everyone can at least critique 2 to 4 submissions  a week.

???
Wow M. That's exactly what I was thinking. Like everything. It's almost scary.... Well, anyway it goes double with me. :)

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 09, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »
At the moment I can say with certainty that I can critique one submission per week, two tops. Any more and it would begin to feel like a chore. I think the bi-monthly system worked a bit better.