Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 219259 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #360 on: January 02, 2009, 11:58:03 PM »
Lord Ruler = Grammar Nazi

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2009, 12:50:31 AM »
I guess we should try this method of submitting a few more times, but I am not sure it's actually working all that well.    This round of submissions, seven people submitted. The number of critiques on each manuscript ranged from 2-5, and total posts from 4-7. That is a significant drop from the round before, when it looks like around 10 people submitted and the number of total replies ranged from 14-20.

This week, so far only 2 people have said they plan to submit. It doesn't take rocket science to guess that they won't get a whole lot of critiques...

Also, its impossible to tell whether some of those not critiquing are not reading, as well. When they do try to critique later on, their ability to make informed observations is limited, because they won't know what is going on in the story.

Basically my point is, we need a way to up the number of critiques. Whether we do that by finding a way to up the number of submissions, or by simply getting more people to write down their thoughts even when it isn't their turn to critique, I don't know. I'm not offering a plan right now, just pointing out we might need one.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »
I for one spent the first two rounds more or less deciding which of the stories appealed to me, which of them I'd probably pick up in a bookstore from the general impression, and those I intend to at the very least always read, and preferably always critique as well. I suppose I'm not the only one doing this, so I expect that the number of critiques will stabilise at this level.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:07 AM »
*sigh* maybe its just me and my conscientious urge to comment on everything. I don't know, I could be overreacting here. Thoughts?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2009, 01:47:16 AM »
If we don't get enough people willing to submit in any given week, we can always push that submission back to the following week. I'm not all that concerned about how many people submit per cycle, but am also worried about people getting a good number of crits each time.

Reaves, I think your concerns are going to come up with this system or the "anyone who wants to can submit on date X" system - either way, it's just a lot of material to deal with.  I think our first system with the two monthly submission dates would be the most reasonable in terms of people being able to get a good range of feedback and not being overwhelmed with reading material, but as we've also pointed out, it will also take a good long time for anyone to get their novel critiqued that way.

We're just going to have to experiment until we find a happy medium, I think - whatever is the best compromise.

Perhaps we could also consider our split submission dates (like the first submission) and up our word count guidelines. That way people would have a couple of weeks to deal with the material, and they could push more material through at once. Of course, then we'd still be reading more, so it might be six of one, half a dozen of another...

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2009, 02:22:48 AM »
To give others the benefit of the doubt, it could just be the Holiday's.  At least I hope so.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 03, 2009, 03:09:23 AM »
Christmas/New Years pretty much killed my past three weeks, which is why I haven't gotten much out in the way of critiques. Honestly, I don't remember being conscious for saying I was going to submit, but thankfully I was a few chapters ahead from my plane ride...

I'm sure the crit count will up soon, just breathe ^ ^.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #367 on: January 03, 2009, 04:32:16 AM »
I wouldn't count on the passing of the holidays fixing everything. Some of us will have more time after they're gone; some of us will have decidedly less.

I still say we give it some time before we go getting too worried about it, though. We're also bound to have highs and lows in terms of who submits and critiques each time - this could just be one of those. Let's not get too concerned until we've figured out if it's going to be a consistent problem or a one-time thing.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #368 on: January 03, 2009, 04:38:37 AM »
Ideally, Yusuke should be able to submit on Monday, but I haven't spoken to him since he submitted. So I'm pretty sure that's up to three :P

I, as always, side on the side of caution. We will just see how this goes. Wait and see, wait and see.

Besides, there is no explicit critique deadline. There's no reason to believe that these works won't get more critiques later.

So let's just wait and see. I know once my holiday break is over on the 13th, I will probably have less time, but I will strive to plan my next semester to include RE. And my own writing ;)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »
Well, I thought about giving you guys a break, but since it’s Saturday and very few people have signed up, I might as well keep going. I have tons of stuff that is in desperate need of whatever help people are willing to offer, after all.
Sign me up please!
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Yusuke

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
My apologies for not getting to the critiquing earlier in the week >.<;.  I just got done with my critique of Crashers, and Chaos said I really didn't need to do anymore.  However, I imagine I'll read CrystalHeart, since it's really sounding interesting to me so far.  Although, I've only read a little of it, so its critique will have to wait a little bit if that's alright.

Well, I guess I'm supposed to sign up to submit this week?  Guess I'll try Episode Five of Ascension, now that people should know it's not a book and will be an anime/manga lol.  It's really nice to get opinions like this, so I hope this "Reading Submission" thingy isn't closed down x_x;.  I find it to be exceptionally useful...

Chaos- Oh come on, you totally know I always come through in the end =D! lol

Anyways, sign me up to submit, assuming it's not too late?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #371 on: January 04, 2009, 07:29:01 AM »
You're good, I'll sign you up. (Still Saturday by my clock. ;) Not that I can see us being too stringent about that as long as we don't have everybody in the group clamouring for a spot.) And don't worry if you're a bit behind on the critiques - heck, I haven't even opened any of the emails yet. (But I will. Promise.)

I don't imagine we have to worry about us shutting down either. Everyone seems to be finding it worthwhile so far - I know I'm certainly enjoying myself - we're just going through some growing pains, is all. :D

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
Apologies, too, on the non-critting front these last two! Holidays = madness and far too much travelling around the country. Plus I've not had my laptop this last week. Planning catch up this week admist essay writing though!

If possible (I'm fully aware it's Sunday...) can I submit tomorrow please?

If not, just let me know, and will put it back til next week.
"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #373 on: January 04, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
It's not exactly like we have a full lineup, so sure, you're in.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #374 on: January 04, 2009, 11:34:39 PM »
Ostensibly, you could probably get away with submitting without even signing up :P

Not that I'm giving you any ideas.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.