Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 213269 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2008, 01:56:48 AM »
Yer only just noticin'?

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
Mine will be being sent later today, possibly after midnight. I'm out of town and ended up without a connection that lets me upload... blegh.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2008, 12:32:27 AM »
Well, I suppose we can hold back the Evil Laughing Chorus for that. Just this once. ::)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »
Hmm. I'm thinking that maybe in the post where I list everyone's submission dates, I might also find like.. I dunno... an image of a checkmark or something to put in front of everybody's names who HAS submitted, or something. I figure if we can all just look at that one post and see exactly who's submitted and who hasn't it will keep us all more motivated. ;)

Not anticipating any problems this month while we're all still on the "WHEE! This is brand new and therefore awesome!!" phase but you know, it might just come in handy later...

Edit: Heck, I'm making this more compliated than it is. The forum has emoticons, we can just use happy/sad faces.

Whaddya guys think? Decent idea?

( ;D yes,  :( no,  :o late? or what?)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:29:05 AM by Raethe »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2008, 09:28:59 PM »
I am thinking perhaps we should move the December 15 submittance date to the 8th. Really, I don't want to wait another 2 weeks until we get to the second half of submissions. I don't think anyone is feeling overwhelmed by too much material, so really we might as well have something being sent out every week. Agree? Disagree?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »
Haha. I still haven't even decided what I'm going to submit - I doubt I'd have anything ready by the eighth.

And I know a lot of us are students, which means we're into - or heading into - the winter break right now. I doubt I'd be able to keep up that pace come January, say, and I'd be surprised if I was the only one who felt that way.

Still - what do others think?

(I mean, maybe it IS just me, and if that's the case I'm not going to rain on everyone else's parade.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:20:24 PM by Raethe »

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
I'm fine with submissions every week.

If we do this, I think we should probably lay the Evil Laughing Chorus off a bit. There are quite a few students on here who may miss a few submissions during school. But with it doubled up, if you miss, you only have to wait 2 weeks for the next submission, instead of a month. And then it's not so "Oh it's my submission date, I HAVE to get this in" and so you put off other, slightly more important stuff such as schoolwork (that's what I would do, anyway....).

And it makes the whole process faster. Some of us aren't finished with our books, but some are, or close. This makes it so you don't have to wait one month per submission. I mean, if you've got a 15 chapter novel going, and each chapter is over 3k, that's only one chapter a month. That takes over a year...At least if you want to get it all reviewed here. That's a long time....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
I'd been thinking the same thing. :/ It's definitely a problem.

I'm still not sure that I personally can keep up with biweekly submissions, and it'll make things more difficult in terms of making sure everybody gets at least a couple of decent reviews every time - which is what I'm really worried about.

Still, though,  we can certainly give it a try. We're pretty much in trial runs right now anyway, so it can't hurt.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »
I'm more for the two diffrent ones.  That gives me two weeks to read through everything, comment, as well as work, and doing my own book.  I'm not a studen (yet) but I barely have enough time as it is (as you can tell by the lack of comments)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »
Yeah, same here, for the reading...I've read one work that was sent to me. I plan to read the others, but I'm in the last 1 1/2 weeks of school, so I've gotta keep up with that as well.

It doesn't hurt to try it out....There's a good chance it won't work (with the reading and reviewing, anyway), and if it doesn't, we can always switch back to two per month. And then we'll know that 4 just doesn't work...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »
That's pretty much what I was thinking, Wilson.

I started a new thread for this discussion because I wasn't sure people were still following this thread, and I wanted to make sure everybody saw it and got their two  cents in before we make any decisions.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:11 AM »
Try having a full time job plus attending a class!

I've managed to read over half the submissions, and comment on them as well. But I don't think I can keep up this reading/critiquing pass on a weekly basis.

And if some folks have all that extra time, they should spend it writing!!
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2008, 05:29:45 AM »

Which is kind of the point of doing more submissions.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:54 AM »
Try having a full time job plus attending a class!

I've managed to read over half the submissions, and comment on them as well. But I don't think I can keep up this reading/critiquing pass on a weekly basis.

Everyone else puts me to shame. I haven't looked at a single piece yet. Soon... soon I shall...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »
Don't know why this was running through my brain:

"The first rule of write club is that you don't talk about write club. The second rule of write club is that you don't talk about write club. The third rule -- if this is your first night at write club, you have to write!"
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."