Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 186535 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »
I think that's a good goal to hold ourselves to, yes. I don't think we should make it "if you don't do it you get kicked out of the group" (unless it becomes obvious that somebody's sandbagging) but I think that in most cases that should be a fairly reasonable amount of time.

I would say that the ONE time we ought to give ourselves any deadlines, as such, is if somebody's preparing a piece for submission to an anthology with deadline X (or whatever). It seems to me that if someone's looking to shop an MS and they're themselves running on a deadline, they should be able to let us know and we can then make a point of doing that person's first, or whatever.

Okay, I'll sign you up for just critiques for the moment then Rose. :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »
I think it should be said that not all of us have to read all of the submissions that arrive in the inbox. If the 1:1 ratio still applies, well, you could have a lazy month of just critiquing one thing. Now, I find that 1:1 is not very helpful to specific pieces (the more people critiquing a single work, the better), so while it would be nice to do a lot more--in fact, highly smiled upon to do more--it's important to remember that none of us are superhumans. No need to critique all 15 submissions if you aren't capable of that sort of workload.

I think I'd only be able to go with 10~15 submissions per month as my maximum workload, but that's purely a guesstimate on my part. I would like to read as much as I can, honestly, so I would never arbitrarily limit myself to a certain amount of works. However, it becomes counter-productive if we need to critique so much that it is cutting into our own writing time.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
You know how there are site awards for writing reviews and participating in contests and such? Maybe would could get one instated for RE contributers who have a good ratio or w/e. I know it's about as vapor as brownie points, but still...

I'm really freaking tired...
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2008, 08:52:05 AM »
I like the idea of a rating system for contributors. Or, at least, a counter for the number of pieces you have submitted and the number of pieces you have workshopped.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
I think we're going to have to be fairly informal on this one and just say do what you can, when you can. The problem with making a 1:1 ratio "official" is depending on what people picked to critique, some people might not get critiqued at all. And as you said, the more critiques a person can get one piece, generally speaking, the better.

In an ideal world, everybody would critique everything that gets sent out. In an ideal world. I suggest we strive for that as much as possible without killing ourselves.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2008, 08:57:38 AM »
I think we're going to have to be fairly informal on this one and just say do what you can, when you can. The problem with making a 1:1 ratio "official" is depending on what people picked to critique, some people might not get critiqued at all. And as you said, the more critiques a person can get one piece, generally speaking, the better.

In an ideal world, everybody would critique everything that gets sent out. In an ideal world. I suggest we strive for that as much as possible without killing ourselves.

Yes. We appear to be on exactly the same page here.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
Not having to critique each and every mail I receive to stay in the group sounds absolutely marvelous to me. ;D
A list of who did how much sounds like a good idea, too, although I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for managing that list.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »
Sorry, Flo, what do you mean by "who did how much"?

(Yeah, don't mind me - confusion is more or less my natural state.)

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »
Submissions and critiques is what I meant. "Who did how much work" might have made things clearer, if only slightly. I've had a long day, coffee hasn't kicked in yet, I'm too tired to think straight, let alone write intelligibly.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2008, 01:37:18 AM »
Let me see if I have this right: 

1.  We don't have to review every submission.  And,

2.  There are no deadlines.

What if one or two submissions don't get reviewed at all?
Would it be possible to "call" a particular manuscript?

people 1, 2, and 3 submit to review

and then people post to say they are reviewing this one or that one;  i.e.

x-person  #2 submission,
y-person  #1 submission, and
z-person  #3 submission

Maybe this way we can make sure no one gets lost in the shuffle when we have 17 submissions but only 7 people can review that time around; for whatever reasons that might comes up.  Life often intrudes.

Also, this would encourage others to submit by the hypothetical deadline, as you might not get reviewed if you wait to long to submit.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:38:53 AM by GreenNecrobeanCasserole »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:25 AM »
Ok so per advise from Chaos Im posting here to join your group.

E-mail: 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:28:13 AM by Silk »
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »
There is the deadline for submission--that much needs to be in place so us procrastinating writers don't delay things too long. However, there's no deadline for critiquing.

I think if works don't get critiqued, we can always post a little disclaimer saying "This piece hasn't been critiqued yet" to grab people's attentions. Above that, we should play this first month by ear and see how it goes. If there is a serious problem with lack of critiquing, well, first there will be some scolding involved on the critiquers, perhaps :P but then we can institute a system to ensure critiquing.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2008, 07:16:28 AM »
Again, I agree. At this point, I don't honestly think there'll be a problem - there are a lot of us, so even if we only critique two or three each we should probably have everyone covered... yeah, I'd just wait and see.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2008, 07:21:15 AM »
It looks like we need some more submitters for the 1st. I'll be ready by then, so you can put my name down if you want.

And I agree about waiting to see if we'll need some sub-groups....and other things for the rules (like the ratio, and making sure that all submissions get reviewed).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »
Okay. Kendra's down for the first and Erik's email is on there. :)

Yeah, I'd actually really rather avoid subgroups if we can - but yes, we're getting waaay ahead of ourselves.