Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 186428 times)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Email List
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:38 AM »
I can submit something on the 1st, if it's OK to use my NaNo writing.  I would be looking more for opinions on Character and Dialogue and story Flow.  I tend to write rather short chapters; that was why I was asking about word count, otherwise I would end up sending 2 pages.  :P
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2008, 01:36:51 AM »
What do you mean by "short chapters"? If you can send on 2 or 3 and be around 3500 words, I wouldn't freak out about it.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »
Well, that makes more sense, then.

It's not like there's a restriction against NaNo writing--in fact, I fully expect to see some at some point. It's just that I knew at least firstRainbowRose was not exactly thrilled with the quality of her NaNo writing, so I was saying that if you so desired, some time to revise might be nice so you can feel better with the thing you are submitting.

But, on the other hand, it would be great to see some NaNo writing if you think it's up to snuff. Or, if it's not up to snuff, you can submit it anyways and people will critique it for quality. It all comes down with the author's preference. If you want to submit NaNo stuff, go for it! Anything that you want critiqued works.

No need to submit a two-page chapter, either. In fact, I'm rather intrigued how you can compact something that small :P If they are that short, then I would rather see more than one chapter to get a better idea of how things flow together.

(The point is to just not submit the ENTIRE NaNo novel :P)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2008, 01:50:15 AM »
Yes, I agree (No whole thing all at once).   I'm not saying all my chapters are all 2-3 pages, it might be that I have to revise some of them together.  Unfortunately this is the first time I've written more than three together and may be doing it wrong.  (I'm just trying to remember how the books I've read do it.) :-[

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2008, 02:03:27 AM »
Well, if you aren't sure on something, then that's another wonderful thing for the Writing Group to get back to you about.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2008, 06:30:23 AM »
Your right!  That's why I love this idea.  I want to get better! :D

WEKM

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
Hence why we tried to get this going.

I was pushing for the 1st because I'm impatient and wanted to get some feedback. But the 15th works well for me too.
Yes, purely selfish motives on my part.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »
Hence why we tried to get this going.

I was pushing for the 1st because I'm impatient and wanted to get some feedback. But the 15th works well for me too.
Yes, purely selfish motives on my part.

Ah, but WEKM, does that mean you want to submit your first item on the 1st? I think that is the current relevant question.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »
No way is NaNo writing allowed!!

::)

Yeah. If you're comfortable submitting your NaNo writing, go for it. Essentially, as long as you feel like you'll get something useful out of the critique, go for it, would be my advice. (That's why I'm not volunteering myself for the 1st - I could totally submit NaNo writing, but to do that I'd have to give you the other eight chapters first, and THAT would totally not be useful for me right now.)

It alright if I sign you up for the first, Ben? what about you, WEKM? Being impatient to get some feedback and all. ;)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2008, 09:46:17 AM »
Madam Raethe, do you think it would be a stretch to ask that the original post containing emails also denote who is on which cycle?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
Haha. Great minds!

Yeah, was just thinking of doing that. Off to do that now, and I am totally not re-reading this thread first because I totally have not forgotten already what we've decided. ::)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2008, 10:08:03 AM »
Not trying to be picky, but the CreamCorn part is for the thanksgiving holiday thing. My usual is AvalonDreamer.

As for great minds, damn straight. I'm taking it my assumption that you're a girl was right? The name on the site in your prof was, so I went on that assumption, lol...

I'm itching for the 1st to come around so I can send it out! My alpha readers are all liking the bit I have ready to go, but none of them are writers, with the ability to look at it academically.

*Evil grin*

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2008, 10:14:27 AM »
Sure, I'll change it. I have no idea what handles people usually go on this forum, so yeah, don't mind me.

And yes, entirely right. It's funny, though, the number of people who are genuinely surprised when I tell them I am a girl. I must project a particularly male vibe or something.

M

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
I'm in if it's not too late. 
Here is my email: 

I post as M in Writing Excuses.  I could probably post something by the 15th or sooner if needed. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:26:40 AM by Silk »

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »
I'm late, but here goes, email: 

Disclamer, my last name is Ennis. My friend set up my email acount...and got the last laugh.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:26:49 AM by Silk »
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”