Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 186554 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Email List
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 08:00:17 AM »
I think it'll probably be compatible just as a .doc file (no .docx files though, for anyone using Vista) and if not, then word can save as .rtf which should work for pretty much anything.

OpenOffice opens all files, actually. It will open .docx's (though that's in the 3.0 version of OpenOffice, so it's just a quick upgrade away) for certain. OpenOffice is open source, so actually, it's a lot easier to fix compatibility problems on it than something like MS Office. But, enough of me shamelessly plugging it's awesomeness :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

WEKM

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
I'm in as well. I guess I had better be as I was one of the ones pushing for this.
I too agree to review anyone's work I get emailed. In return, I hope to also get mine looked at as well. I use MS Office .DOC as well, but if it will be an issue, I can submit anything in .rtf.
I will also try and minimize my sarcasm in reviews, as I have been told that in posts, sometimes it is hard to tell if one is being sarcastic, or just mean.

As well, I would like to vote for a weekly deadline. We could go with submissions needing to be in by the close of the week, (Saturday) to be reviewed over the next week in the forum. That way everyone has time to review and comment on them all.
Also, in keeping with things pointed out in previous podcasts, if you keep submitting the same piece over and over you will be openly mocked.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:22:41 AM by Silk »

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
Personally? I don't honestly think I'm able to keep up  a weekly schedule right now. But if that's what other people want to do, then I'm not really opposed. I'm tough, I can take being laughed at.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 07:37:49 PM »
I definitely can't do a weekly schedule right now, either. After December 17th, when the semester is over, perhaps, but right now, there is much college work to do.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »
I definalty couldn't do a weekly scheduel thing.  I mean, I am writing 2k a day, but it all royally sucks.  I need to have like everything reworked when I'm done with this thing.  I think it would be easier to just come on here and say "I've send something out.  Thoughts when you can." and then proceed from there.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I must agree, right now I'm in the middle of the NaNoWriMo (and doing great) but I don't know how well I could keep faith with any set schedule.

I've had my main character married by surprise, meet her parents, abducted, sent to hell, fall in love with another woman, watch that woman die, and kill a giant amphibian; and that's only half way through.  Whooo...
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

WEKM

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 02:38:44 AM »
How about a monthly schedule. I know that right now is hard. We could all submit at the first of Dec and go from there, with the deadline for the next session the 31st of Dec to be reviewed during Jan. Then you have some time to work on a section as well as time to review submitted sections.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 02:52:12 AM »
How about a monthly schedule. I know that right now is hard. We could all submit at the first of Dec and go from there, with the deadline for the next session the 31st of Dec to be reviewed during Jan. Then you have some time to work on a section as well as time to review submitted sections.

That's definitely not a bad idea. I can definitely pull that off, since I'm already preparing this first chapter of my novel for feedback. However, if NaNoWriMo writers want to submit some of their stuff from that, they might want a day or two after the end of November to cool down and/or revise whatever they want to first submit. Though, once we get going, I really can't see how hard a monthly schedule can be.

I'm for it. What does everyone else think--namely, the NaNoWriMo people (because schoolwork totally destroyed my efforts on it early on, so I'm no longer a part of that)?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
I think I'll sit out the first round of submits, but I'll definatly edit.  I really just want to get the entire book written and revised before I start sending it out for thoughts.  (Because if you read it as it is now I think it would be shot down and killed.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »
I'm up for it!  A monthly schedule will fit in fine with me.  I have a week of on-call that usually destroys anything I want to do, but its a five week rotation, so I should be good.

What sort of Guide Lines should we have for submissions?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 03:35:42 AM »
I think I'll sit out the first round of submits, but I'll definatly edit.  I really just want to get the entire book written and revised before I start sending it out for thoughts.  (Because if you read it as it is now I think it would be shot down and killed.)

Yeah, that's my only concern with the December 1st deadline--not enough time to do some coherent revision. Though, WEKM, you can count on me to submit by the deadline, barring a meteor strike on my dorm or something.

Hmmm, guidelines. I think we should have some pretty lax guidelines (we don't want to stifle anyone), but there's going to have to be some common sense involved. For example, don't submit an entire novel of stuff. That's a bit outside the scope of a single session for in-depth comments. Other than that, I can't really think of anything, but then again, I'm rather new to the explicit "writing group" concept (I've just had alpha readers before).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, "double spaced" might be a really good guideline to set in stone right now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:39:14 AM by Chaos2651 »

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 03:42:45 AM »
My thoughts on the guidelines.

1: no spamming.  Send out one copy to everyone, then wait for the thoughts to come in.
2: No replies to comments about your own work.  It's like I heard once: no matter how much you argue or defend, they're mind has already been made.  Just note their thoughts and move on.
3: No wedging.  We all understand that everyone is going to try their hardest to be nice, but sometimes no matter how you word it things will come out harsh.  So, don't preface your comments with apologies.

That's all I can think of for now.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 04:00:48 AM »
O.k.~

Quote:
EDIT: Now that I think about it, "double spaced" might be a really good guideline to set in stone right now.

Quote:
1: no spamming.  Send out one copy to everyone, then wait for the thoughts to come in.
2: No replies to comments about your own work.  It's like I heard once: no matter how much you argue or defend, they're mind has already been made.  Just note their thoughts and move on.
3: No wedging.  We all understand that everyone is going to try their hardest to be nice, but sometimes no matter how you word it things will come out harsh.  So, don't preface your comments with apologies.

~For example, don't submit an entire novel of stuff. ~

Word count limit?  1.5 spacing=9 pages@1700 words w/.doc (or there abouts)

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 04:05:06 AM »
I like the idea of a monthly schedule as well, but because of NaNoWriMo, I know I wouldn't have anything to submit by Dec. 1st. And the situation would probably be the same with the rest of the Nanoers. Therefore I propose a middle of the month deadline. Submissions due by the 15th of every month and we critique the pieces until the start of the next month.

That way, we'd have those two weeks between the 1st and the 15th to correct any glaring plot holes that were identified. If people were still critiquing for the whole 30 days, then you might submit a new entry that has the same plot holes as the first.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 04:09:55 AM »
Why not do it so that we submit on the 15th, and on the 1st we start posting comments.  That way we have 15 days to look out for things in the next piece before we fix it?