Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 186510 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Email List + Submission Dates
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »
Welcome to Reading Excuses! If you're not already sure what that is, Reading Excuses is an online critique group. Before you look at this thread, take a look at the Rules of Reading Excuses. Don't worry, we'll wait.

Read that? Excellent! Now you'll actually know what we're talking about when you see our submissions dates.

August 15:  cjhuitt, Mad Scientist, Chaos, Skyhunter, Asmodemon, Will, Guenwyvar
* No more submissions this week, folks! Seven is quite a few.

August 22: Robert, Hubay

To join the email list, please PM both me and Chaos with your email address and one of us will add you to the list.

When it's your turn to submit (and you'll know when it's your turn because you'll have posted on this thread to ask us, right?), you'll send your submission out to all [at] readingexcuses [dot] com

Make sure you format your submission appropriately according to the Rules thread linked above. For a slightly more digestible, but less detailed version of how to submit click here.

Want to know who's involved? Here's a list of everyone who participates, as they're known on TWG.

Silk/Raethe (mod)
Chaos2651 (mod)
Necroben
FirstRainbowRose
WEKM
AvalonDreamer
Little Wilson
Flo the G
Karl
Sortitus
Spejoku
jwdenzel
 Frog
Pipe
Hamster
Rane
Ryos
Ravenstar
ErikHolmes
swaindaddy (Chris)
Miang
Stormcryst
ApocRK
Jexral
manji
Stridera
Recovering Cynic
Westwriter (Greg)
Bravesamewise
Shi
Andrew the Great
Preposterous Justin
LongTimeUnderdog
vegetathalus
clarissavandell
lethalfalcon
Justin Carmony
Dark Prophecy
Asmodemon
ublique
Argas
Shivertongue
Aginor
Pogi Dave
Drew P
Justice1337
Renoard
Talyn
aronsamma
Comatose
Valkynphyre
wisteria_purple
Hubay
Daddy Warpig
Aerim
Derby
Zardog
Eerongal
Fireflyz
Stormblessed
becoop
akoebel
RiaRaen
aqualibrium
sceneTK421
madelste (Michael)
halo6819 (Robert)
Bunchkles (Chris)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:59:01 AM by Silk »

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: Email List
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:14:05 PM »
Sorry if this is answered in the comments on Writing Excuses, but what are these submissions going to be in the form of? Are they responding to the occasional writing prompts from Writing Excuses, or is this a full-fledged writing group where we're writing a whole book and we submit chapters to each other?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »
I'd suggest that people use this forum to submit whatever they feel really needs workshopping. That way people who write short stories or scripts or whatever aren't excluded from the fun, and people who are writing novels can choose to share theirs if they want to.

There's already a thread for Writing Prompts, so I'd say if you just want to SHARE what you've written for a prompt, go there, since that's more of a for-fun thing. If you want an actual critique, then post it here.

Those would be my suggestions, anyway. I await everyone's passionate rejections. ;)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »
Raethe, this sounds like a brilliant idea. I can always use more input on my stuff, and it would be a good impetus for me to stop slacking off and actually write for once.

Is there any plan to have sort of a weekly schedule, or is it just going to be a "when you have something done, submit it" sort of thing?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:21:18 AM by Silk »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »
I will join as well, but I probably won't write stuff to submit until after NaNoWriMo is over.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:21:28 AM by Silk »

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »
Haha. I can't take the credit for it, I'm afraid - it rose out of a discussion on the Writing Excuses board. I'm still all for it, though!

A "submit when you're done" deal would probably be much easier to organize. If we go that way, then I'd suggest the guideline that for every manuscript you submit for critique, you yourself have to critique at least one.

Of course, one of the advantages of structured writing groups is solid deadlines, so if people want to do that, then sure. Shall we take a vote? ;)

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
Well, this solves one of my problems. I'll submit material as I'm able, next semester will probably be a bit easier than the current one though.

-Jake

p.s. are we doing this in pdf, Word or what?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:21:40 AM by Silk »
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
I personally like Word because I'm rather attached to its comments feature (though that might be kind of obsolete since we're doing discussion on the forum, but it's still kind of nice to mark up minor things like line edits and grammar fixes). That and I have no way of converting my own files to .pdfs. Either should be readable to pretty much everyone, though. At least, word files should be readable if they're saved as .rtfs.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:50:37 AM »
I know OpenOffice (what I use) can open all Microsoft Word documents, but I don't know if it has a comment feature...

Ah! Now that I look at it, it does have them, they are just called "notes". Wonderful! They are really quite handy.

If anyone has difficulties opening .doc files or .odt (OpenOffice files which are really nice since they are smaller file sizes), you can always go to www.openoffice.org and get the latest version for free. It's nice :P

Haha. I can't take the credit for it, I'm afraid - it rose out of a discussion on the Writing Excuses board. I'm still all for it, though!

A "submit when you're done" deal would probably be much easier to organize. If we go that way, then I'd suggest the guideline that for every manuscript you submit for critique, you yourself have to critique at least one.

Of course, one of the advantages of structured writing groups is solid deadlines, so if people want to do that, then sure. Shall we take a vote? ;)

I like the idea about a 1:1 ratio for critiquing. It would make things pretty nice, and force reciprocation (which is sort of what this is all about). As for solid deadlines, I think we should try it this way--without deadlines--and see how that pans out before we start getting too ambitious with all of this.

EDIT: I read through the comments on Writing Excuses Episode 2-5 and I had forgotten about the issue of protecting the work. I would normally say that we could trust each other, but I suppose it wouldn't be a huge deal if some people wanted to use PDFs and we just post the comments on the forum.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:08:36 AM by Chaos2651 »

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 05:14:43 AM »
Well, Open Office can export to pdf, so you and I are good, but not everyone can so we should probably stick to regular docs. Besides with a huge group of us, I don't think it would be hard to catch and call out anyone stealing someone else's material. I don't think anyone who is even halfway serious about doing this is likely to do something like that anyway.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 05:32:45 AM »
Yeah. I intend to just use regular .docs, even though OpenOffice can export to PDF. It's not practical for them to steal the work, anyways, because the whole point of this is to critique each others work. If they steal, then they won't get any more critique on their own work. Their loss.

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 05:58:28 AM »
I like this idea. I'm in.
my email is ...
I'll be using OpenOffice. Trusty old OpenOffice
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:21:59 AM by Silk »

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »
I'm in as well.  I think this is a great idea.  I'll be using Word, but will that be compatible with this OpenOffice thing back and forth?

My e-mail    ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:22:10 AM by Silk »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »
I think it'll probably be compatible just as a .doc file (no .docx files though, for anyone using Vista) and if not, then word can save as .rtf which should work for pretty much anything.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »
I think this sounds like a great idea!  my e-mail is ...  Of course, if I send anything out it will be a .rtf simply because that's the format I use for everything.  (Plus, I believe it's compadable across the board for both mac and pc users.)

So, just to make sure I've got this straight, but adding my address I've now agreed to read and critique anyone's work who e-mails it to me.  Then, in exchange, if I wanted something of my own critiqued I would just need to e-mail it to anyone/everyone who has listed their e-mail address here, correct?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:22:24 AM by Silk »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"