Local Authors > Reading Excuses

Email List + Submission Dates

<< < (2/310) > >>

Silk:
Haha. I can't take the credit for it, I'm afraid - it rose out of a discussion on the Writing Excuses board. I'm still all for it, though!

A "submit when you're done" deal would probably be much easier to organize. If we go that way, then I'd suggest the guideline that for every manuscript you submit for critique, you yourself have to critique at least one.

Of course, one of the advantages of structured writing groups is solid deadlines, so if people want to do that, then sure. Shall we take a vote? ;)

wcarter4:
Well, this solves one of my problems. I'll submit material as I'm able, next semester will probably be a bit easier than the current one though.

-Jake

p.s. are we doing this in pdf, Word or what?

Silk:
I personally like Word because I'm rather attached to its comments feature (though that might be kind of obsolete since we're doing discussion on the forum, but it's still kind of nice to mark up minor things like line edits and grammar fixes). That and I have no way of converting my own files to .pdfs. Either should be readable to pretty much everyone, though. At least, word files should be readable if they're saved as .rtfs.

Chaos:
I know OpenOffice (what I use) can open all Microsoft Word documents, but I don't know if it has a comment feature...

Ah! Now that I look at it, it does have them, they are just called "notes". Wonderful! They are really quite handy.

If anyone has difficulties opening .doc files or .odt (OpenOffice files which are really nice since they are smaller file sizes), you can always go to www.openoffice.org and get the latest version for free. It's nice :P

--- Quote from: Raethe on November 15, 2008, 11:35:53 PM ---Haha. I can't take the credit for it, I'm afraid - it rose out of a discussion on the Writing Excuses board. I'm still all for it, though!

A "submit when you're done" deal would probably be much easier to organize. If we go that way, then I'd suggest the guideline that for every manuscript you submit for critique, you yourself have to critique at least one.

Of course, one of the advantages of structured writing groups is solid deadlines, so if people want to do that, then sure. Shall we take a vote? ;)

--- End quote ---

I like the idea about a 1:1 ratio for critiquing. It would make things pretty nice, and force reciprocation (which is sort of what this is all about). As for solid deadlines, I think we should try it this way--without deadlines--and see how that pans out before we start getting too ambitious with all of this.

EDIT: I read through the comments on Writing Excuses Episode 2-5 and I had forgotten about the issue of protecting the work. I would normally say that we could trust each other, but I suppose it wouldn't be a huge deal if some people wanted to use PDFs and we just post the comments on the forum.

wcarter4:
Well, Open Office can export to pdf, so you and I are good, but not everyone can so we should probably stick to regular docs. Besides with a huge group of us, I don't think it would be hard to catch and call out anyone stealing someone else's material. I don't think anyone who is even halfway serious about doing this is likely to do something like that anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version