Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 218739 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: Email List
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »
As authors though, we should all be able to fairly evaluate - if not write - content from any genre or style, at least using basic writing fundamentals as guideposts.

I'm primarily an Adventure/Fantasy/SciFi writer, but I can look at the use of PoV, style, tensing, and scenery in a Romance and give feedback on how it flows; that taken aside, I can also appreciate a decent romance.

Splitting by genre might not be the best idea, but deliberately splitting so we have mixed genres each group may do better, so each writer has more sympathetic readers per revision cycle.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
Labeling is a good idea. Since I already know what I'm submitting (and the content inside of it), I'll give you the label right now:

Genre: Epic Fantasy
Content: Violence, Strong Language

(mind you, it's fantasy violence, so it isn't that bad. However, it's still enough for me to warrant marking it)

I was thinking the same thing about the ratio. We have a lot more than just two people submitting. I, for one, don't care much about the particular ratio. Whatever writing is sent to me, I will read and comment (if I'm not horribly busy, that is). While I don't care about the ratio, it's important for people to feel obligated to comment. That is, after all, the whole point of submitting in the first place.

I will read whatever it is, regardless of genre. We should be inclusive with genre, but if something isn't working out in a particular group, there's no reason not to adjust groupings accordingly to get better results.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »
I dunno. I'm with you on that we should be able to evaluate any genre fairly - but I don't think it's really feasible to organize everbody by what genre they're writing (personally, I do a fair amount of genre-hopping). I think we're just gonna have to say that if you're writing something that's not speculative fiction, bear in mind that you'll have to take some of our comments with a grain of salt.

As for the ratio, ideally we'll see about half and half per submission I figure - I think we just want to keep the workload more or less even. ;)

Oh, and I didn't actually start this, unless by this you mean the thread. A Writing Excuses critique group was suggested by someone or someones who are, um, not me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:17:34 AM by Raethe »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 10:14:43 AM »
Ideally, people will just want to give feedback, because that gives a great incentive for people to want to read their stuff. :D

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:56 AM »
Utopia is the place where ideals are reality - last I checked we were on earth. As much as I agree that we should be good human beings and even *gulp* friends and do the right and good thing, a small set of rules never hurt anyone (unless facists were involved).
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »
And a small set of punishments don't hurt, either. For example, "If you don't submit anything, we will laugh it you."

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 10:25:57 AM »
That's not fair, brat!  :P  J/k

I don't see what's wrong with not posting anything ourselves.  I personally don't plan on doing so until Feb or March, but I don't see any reason why I can't start helping and critiquing now.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
Chaos - you read my mind. ;)

I agree, though, there should be a spot for people who just want to critique instead of submit. Rose, we'll just not give you a submission deadline, but keep you on the email list. Howzat?

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
Hear that RainbowRose?

We. Will. Laugh. At. You.

Fear the giggles... FEAR THEM!

... Is it just me or does that punishment feel a little... ridiculous? Maybe hang them by their ankles from a tree and lash them with spaghetti. Really give it to them.

*Evil grin*

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
We'd have to do it virtually, though. Wet spaghetti lashings just don't have the same effect when they're not in person.

So we have Chaos and Avalon ready to submit by December 1st. We have nine people on the list, I think, so we only need two more to make that 50%ish split...

Any other takers?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
That's not fair, brat!  :P  J/k

I don't see what's wrong with not posting anything ourselves.  I personally don't plan on doing so until Feb or March, but I don't see any reason why I can't start helping and critiquing now.

Ahem. "If you miss the deadline, we will laugh at you." How's that for a rule :P Because if you just critique, then there's no deadline to miss, eh?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Okay, that makes a lot more sense.  And who knows, since it's only the first two months, I might just submit a couple of short stories or something.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:53 PM »
I finally kicked myself hard enough to register. I'll do the reading up part later this week though.

My email:

I'm Chris on Writing excuses BTW.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:24:51 AM by Silk »

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
Congrats for taking the leap - this place can be pretty freakin' scary sometimes...

So, who are our last 2-3 victims for round 1? I'm sure someone has something ground out that they need looked at!

*Evil grin*

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 08:44:21 PM »
Well, not to put words in WEKM's mouth, but he did sort of suggest the December 1st deadline to begin with. I think he would go for that one. But, then again, I'm not WEKM.