Poll

What are your favorite Thanksgiving foods?

Turkey
Potatoes & Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Pie
Jello Salad
Green Bean Casserole
Candied Yams
Potstickers
Home-baked Bread or Rolls
Stuffing

Author Topic: What are your favorite Thanksgiving foods?  (Read 14925 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Thanksgiving foods?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »
Pecan and pumpkin are possibly two of the greatest pies bestowed unto mankind by the great gods of pie-dom.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
Ah but let us not forget Boston Cream or the classic Apple. I would be lost without these choices.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
But guys, that is why they developed and bred a special kind of pumpkin for pies.....Sugar Pumpkins. They are smaller, darker, and the flesh of the pumpkin has a much sweeter flavor, without sugar added, than normal pumpkins, which I would tend to agree have no place in dessert land, or beer land either. I personally like pumpkin pie, but it is by no means my favorite pie, blueberry takes that honor. To each their own though, and as I said, I see where you are coming from.

My favorites, would be turkey, cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes and gravy.....

Very bizzarre taste in pies you've got there! :D

*DING!*
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »
Another vote for the blueberry army! w00t!
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
Thanksgiving is always a mixed blessing for me, as the main food preparer.  I like to cook a big feast once in a while, but apart from turkey and pecan pie, I don't like the traditional foods. Pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, cranberry, a lot of the kinds of stuffing I've had.  So I assign other people to make/bring those.  I do make great green beans though, sauteed with butter, garlic and a few almonds.  Yummy!

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:07 PM »
And let's not forget the mathematician's favorite dessert:  Pi!

;)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 10:21:22 PM »
Oh, and I do so enjoy the cranberry sauce, yes, straight out of the can.

Out of the can??!! I make it a point never to eat something that takes the shape of the container it was in. My grandfather makes this amazingly good cranberry relish.

Also my grandmother makes a delicious corn pudding, covered in brown sugar. Mhmhm good.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 12:05:26 AM »
My roomate keeps trying to use the re-fried beans in a can that do the same thing. Very very gross.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 12:32:23 AM »
It always seems like such a shame in America that we have this great holiday where people who would never dream of being a chef go out there and discuss the merits of leaving stuffing in the turkey the entire time or taking it out, whether brining makes a difference, and how long the gravy needs to simmer, and yet they will still consider it a great tradition to eat canned cranberry jelly.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 12:46:43 AM »
Hey lets not knock things that remain in the shape of a can too much. I for one will happily eat a can of corned beef hash any day of the week. Frankly I would eat it every day of the week if I could and not die. This doesnt mean that I dont like home made hash but the stuff from a can is amazing.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:02 AM »
Apple is largely overrated in my book. I've once had a pie that had the necessary flavor to make it interesting, and that was made from a special variety of apples left an extremely sour taste, while being terribly sweet.

Pumpkin, Rhubarb, and Pecan, and even Boston Creme (done right), are easily my favorites for how wonderfully unique and beautiful their flavors are and what good (or just creative) bakers can do with them. Then again, that's right along with my culinary philosophy of Gastro-Ninjitsu.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 02:09:03 AM »
I think we can all just say: Pie Wins.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 02:27:16 AM »
Not according to the polls it doesnt. People may be picky about their pie but they enjoy other parts of the meal more.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 04:12:17 AM »
That is because you might get pie at other times of the year, but when do you get cranberry sauce, roast turkey or those nasty sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top?  My family, for example, just downed two pumpkin pies because my 1st grader brought home a pumpkin from school and insisted we make pies with it.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 04:33:01 AM »
That is a valid point. There are dishes involved that are very seasonal. Now don't get me wrong I can eat potatoes almost any way you can cook them. I grew up on a nice diet of some form of potatoes with every meal so I have a good amount of experience. I have heard tell of these potatoes with marshmellow on top. I have never witnessed this travesty for myself thank god. Who could take part in such a disgusting practice? I hope never to experience this horrid dish.