Author Topic: Buy Dan Bacon?  (Read 62098 times)

mtbikemom

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Dan Bacon?
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2009, 06:59:42 PM »
Speakin' o' bacon, in case you have not seen this viral vid yet:   
(It is mostly clean except for very mild cursing.)
I call it: What Bacon Means to One Precocious Kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIFqyJfMDs

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
Came across this.  You like eating bacon how about drinking it?

http://www.mrbaconpants.com/boca-java%E2%80%99s-maple-bacon-morning-coffee/
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »
Wow I want that coffee right now! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Just think of the aroma it would create while brewing. Just walking into my kitchen in the morning would be ecstasy.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
Those burgers look roughly the same as the ones Dan and I made. Did you end up putting egg into them? I assume it tasted awesome. If they tasted anything like ours, they made you giggle a bit while eating due to how guiltily good you felt while eating them. After all, something that good cant be healthy...

Dan and I are currently planning phase 2, and I really wish he'd post the photos of our own burgers on the grill.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »
Those burgers look roughly the same as the ones Dan and I made. Did you end up putting egg into them? I assume it tasted awesome. If they tasted anything like ours, they made you giggle a bit while eating due to how guiltily good you felt while eating them. After all, something that good cant be healthy...

Dan and I are currently planning phase 2, and I really wish he'd post the photos of our own burgers on the grill.

Nah, i was unable to add egg, because our egg supply ended up being comandeered for potato salad and deviled eggs, but they held up well on their own (only lost one to cooking that fell apart, but it was on the lukewarm side of the grill that hadn't heated up too well, so it just slowly blobed into the grill itself.)

they were quite awesome. I like the ones that had mozzerella and cream cheese (i have to say, cream cheese suprised me on how good it was on these things) the best. stuffing them with cheese is a brilliant idea, FYI, and i'm sure it really helped in holding them together (since its like putting glue in the middle)

We also had some of my homemade chili at the BBQ, which i topped mine with, and it was great. I wont go into the full details, but I make it by making bacon, then browning the meat in the bacon grease, and adding the other ingredients right on top of the greasy beef.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »
fantastic. I am convinced that our hamburgers make us the awesomest people in the world.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
fantastic. I am convinced that our hamburgers make us the awesomest people in the world.

Quite clearly, my good sir, quite clearly.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2009, 04:54:10 AM »
What happened just to the classic burger with pickles onions letuce and tomatoe? i like my patties at about 80 % sirloin and 20% ground bacon (my kitchen has everything you could want including trident knives and a meat grinder, oh and a professional grade deli slicer) i love the taste of red meat i don't want to over power it as the main aspect of the meal
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2009, 05:03:26 AM »
i like my patties at about 80 % sirloin and 20% ground bacon

that's actually the exact ratio i used. 1 pound of bacon, 4 pounds of beef.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »
What happened just to the classic burger with pickles onions letuce and tomatoe? i like my patties at about 80 % sirloin and 20% ground bacon (my kitchen has everything you could want including trident knives and a meat grinder, oh and a professional grade deli slicer) i love the taste of red meat i don't want to over power it as the main aspect of the meal

They are boring. The key is to find the things that accentuate the meat.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
Well maybe i should change my name to Old Bore Kaz because i prefer my burgers that way... not to knock yours ofcourse... but in MY opinion blood and grease just taste so good... i also eat my hamburgers medium rare where as most eat them at medium well
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2009, 04:39:20 AM »
i also eat my hamburgers medium rare where as most eat them at medium well

Technically you arent supposed to eat any ground meat at anything less than medium (or medium well, not sure which) but i know plenty of people that do, though boiling or searing the meat before grounding it can greatly help reduce the risks of illness, if you plan to eat it as such, if you plan on cooking it immediately afterwards. (i, myself, like a nice, even medium, though on occasion i will eat it well or rare, pending on my mood)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
I grind the meat myself...and cooking meat will not kill anything that the cow had before the slaughter i.e. mad cow disease

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
I grind the meat myself...and cooking meat will not kill anything that the cow had before the slaughter i.e. mad cow disease
Well, meat from any tainted animal should never be eaten, for that exact reason.

Also grinding it yourself doesn't matter as far as contamination goes. The reason is because contaminants are on the outside of the meat, not the inside. When you cook it, it kills off the bacteria and such on the outside, this is why rare steaks are OK to eat. When you grind it, you make the outside the inside as well, which spreads the contaminants uniformly (well, maybe not perfectly uniform). Though self grinding does allow you to take preventative measure before grinding to ensure it's as safe as possible, but if it's going to sit around a while before being used, then it's just as dangerous as pre ground meat (possible more so, depending on your preservation methods compared to the sealing process used in store)

Granted, this is ONLY a concern with any meat that has dangerous contaminants (like E. coli), but it's pretty tough to know if it's ok or not.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
I only grind what i will immediately use... in like 10 minutes

Edit: flash freezing meat kills more bacteria than cooking which is why you can eat steak tar tar and sushi safely... so long as you live in a developed nation that is
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:20:14 PM by Champion Kaz »