Author Topic: Buy Dan Bacon?  (Read 62076 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Buy Dan Bacon?
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
Earlier today, i have made the purchase of Bacon Jerky from jerky.com I should hopefully have it an about a week. My mouth salivates in anticipation.

Also, about a month ago (for the 4th of july, actually), i made bacon burgers. As in burger patties with bacon IN THEM. I cooked the bacon until it was almost done, diced it nice and small, and poured the bacon grease on the burger meat. Then i mixed all up real nice (i also used worstescire and garlic to season them) and they were juicy and delicious.

There are restaurants that do that around here (Salt Lake). Salt City Burger Factory. It is awesome. This way you get bacon in every bite. I like to do what you mentioned, but add jalapeņos into the burger as well. Jalapeņos make everything better, especially when mixed with bacon.

Now I'm freaking starving.

Throw some Pepper-jack cheese on that, and sounds like you got yourself a mighty fine burger.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »
Dangit, Steve, now I'm hungry and can't be satisfied by anything that isn't a jalapeno bacon burger. And yes, the addition of cheese only makes the craving worse. Let me see what I have for lunch...ah, ramen again. I hate you.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »
we need to grill up burgers, Dan. it is absurd how good a bacon, jalapeņo cheese burger sounds right now...i hate me for even bringing it up.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
It's okay, Steve, so do the rest of us. ;)

Now, what's for breakfast? Too bad it won't be a jalapeņo burger!  :P

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
Humans taste like bacon.

http://www.wired.com/table_of_malcontents/2006/11/robot_identifie/

Will Dan be able to resist the urge to become a cannibal?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
Well, it's better than tasting like chicken.

I mean, everything tastes like chicken.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2009, 03:44:05 AM »
I made a delicious chicken and bacon farfalle tonight. You cats want another recipe?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Įa va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2009, 05:10:05 AM »
Recipes are love.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »
Tomorrow is the hamburger/bacon/jalapeņo experiment day. Let's see if Dan and I live through the weekend...

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »
Tomorrow is the hamburger/bacon/jalapeņo experiment day.

^ Needs to be an official holiday ^
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
Baconfest '09

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2009, 07:30:56 PM »
Bacon-Chicken Farfalle

- 12 OZ farfalle
- 1/3 LBS finely diced bacon (It's easier to do if you freeze the bacon first and thaw it out after cutting.)
- 3/4 LBS cubed chicken breast (1/2 in.)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 6 TBS butter
- 1 1/2 Cups white wine (If you don't cook using wine, I've listed a good substitute recipe below.)
- 2 TBS crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 TBS chopped garlic

Cook bacon until it won't kill you on a 10-14 in. skillet. Remove bacon from skillet and replace it with olive oil. Heat olive oil, garlic, and red pepper to medium heat or slightly lower. Stir and allow some of the flavor to cook out of the garlic, depending on how strong you want that part of the flavor to be. Add bacon and chicken. Cook this mixture with the lid on for 5-10 minutes to make sure that the chicken is safe. This is a good time to start the pasta. Remove the lid and add wine and butter. Crank the skillet's temperature up as high as it can go and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Turn the heat off if the pasta is finished. If it's not, leave it on low.

When the pasta's finished cooking, drain it and put the contents of the skillet into the pot. Add the pasta back in. Cook on medium to medium low (same temperature as you used for the topping) while stirring. No need to get too vigorous with the stirring. You're just making sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Cook until most of the oil is gone from the bottom of the pan (the pasta should be pretty well coated though) and serve.

Farfalle isn't necessary, it's just a good match for the cubed chicken. I wouldn't go with long loodles, but something like penne would work fine. I would like to note that this recipe smells rather odd, and I wasn't going to eat any of it until my family started enthusing about how delicious it was. My poor guinea pigs. They will eat anything I make them. This recipe fed four of us, but it's probably closer to a "feeds 6" recipe. Also worth mentioning: my parents are making me cook for them once a week now, on pain of eviction, because of this recipe. I kinda don't like the idea (it smells suspiciously like work), but I suppose it'll be motivation to make new recipes more often.

White Wine Substitute:

1 Cup apple juice
1/4 Cup raspberry apple juice (That makes it a 9:1 apple to raspberry ratio, for those who don't have the specific juices.)
2 TSP vinegar
1 1/2 TBS balsamic vinegar (If you use more than this, whatever you're making tastes like balsamic vinegar. I often use less than this.)

You can play with that mixture as much as you need to until you get a flavor you like. To change to red wine I switch out half a cup of apple juice for red grape juice and use less balsamic vinegar.

Add that one to your list for Baconfest, kids.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Įa va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »
There are already several different Baconfest '09s.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »
There are already several different Baconfest '09s.

Way to crush my dreams.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
our burgers were full of awesome. Dan took a picture of them on the grill that he'll post someday. once again, they were extremely good. we were proud of ourselves.